2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Re: Gen 6 HR cam in a Mark IV???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns View Post
Ok... it looks like if this is going to work at all, I need a different cam gear. I was on the path to getting the retainer plate ground so I bolted it all back in for a final look. With the gear bolted on the cam (pinching the retainer plate), the cam gear is way out of alignment with the crank gear- about a 1/4" closer to the block. The cam is where it needs to be butted up to the retainer plate, so I don't think there is any issue there.

So... is this the wrong gear with this timing set? Does anyone have a Gen 6 cam gear- does it look like the one I posted? Is there a double-roller timing set that works with this mod?

Help!!!!

Thanks!
Please don't be insulted by my question, but are you sure you have the crank gear on right, or all the way? The part number you listed is the correct part and the gear looks right.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
Please don't be insulted by my question, but are you sure you have the crank gear on right, or all the way? The part number you listed is the correct part and the gear looks right.
Not insulted at all! (I enjoy the process of trying to figure this stuff out- sometimes you gotta just look at the basics.) But yes, it is bolted on all the way. I even loosened the cam bolts and pulled the gear forward just to see how far forward the gear needs to be- easily a 1/4", and then the torrington bearing is going to be that far away from the plate- which isn't good either! I could take a bunch of pictures (tomorrow) to show you what I'm looking at.

Here is a thread from a year ago where the OP ended up using a GM single roller timing set: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399001

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
Street Cars are More Fun!
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Not insulted at all! (I enjoy the process of trying to figure this stuff out- sometimes you gotta just look at the basics.) But yes, it is bolted on all the way. I even loosened the cam bolts and pulled the gear forward just to see how far forward the gear needs to be- easily a 1/4", and then the torrington bearing is going to be that far away from the plate- which isn't good either! I could take a bunch of pictures (tomorrow) to show you what I'm looking at.

Here is a thread from a year ago where the OP ended up using a GM single roller timing set: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399001
Note the crank gears in the late & early sets
Check yours

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 11:29 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

The Gen VI crank typically has the ignition trigger used as a spacer on many versions - could that 1/4" accommodation for spacing be the issue here when using a Gen IV crank? If so, the crank gear will be 1/4" out of alignment using the Gen VI timing set.

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 14, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfplace View Post
Note the crank gears in the late & early sets
Check yours
Does "late" mean gen 5 / 6 and "early" mean Mark IV? It is definitely a "late" crank gear. It is in the same location as the Mark IV gear I just removed.

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 12:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Yes
Look at the pictures I posted in the link you have
All the sets I have used have a crank gear that is recessed in the back so the set sits back compared to the early ones

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

===
----John Wayne----

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 12:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Does "late" mean gen 5 / 6 and "early" mean Mark IV? It is definitely a "late" crank gear. It is in the same location as the Mark IV gear I just removed.
If you look at the crank gear pics in that other thread, you can see the later gear is offset to the rear (toward the block).
Take some pics when you can so we can see what you're dealing with.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

Old Apr 7th, 14, 7:35 AM
mr 4 speed
This message has been deleted by mr 4 speed.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 7:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Ok, I definitely have the "late" crank gear.

Here is the cam gear, bolted all the way to the cam, with the retainer plate installed. The cam gear is 3/16" closer to the block than the crank gear, and the cam gear is mashed into the retainer plate and will barely turn.

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 7:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
John,I experienced this myself with a Gen 6 double roller I bought from Summit for my conversion.Exact same problem.I ended up using the stock GM Gen 6 timing set.No issues after that.
Here is the thread:
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...+double+roller
Yep- I linked your post above too! I would prefer to use a double roller chain but I guess that is my escape route if I can't figure this out.

Thanks!

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 9:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:

Here is the cam gear, bolted all the way to the cam, with the retainer plate installed. The cam gear is 3/16" closer to the block than the crank gear, and the cam gear is mashed into the retainer plate and will barely turn.

It would help to see the crank gear.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 9:35 AM

In some cases the block will need to be ground as the cam gear will interfer with the block. This happens about 2 out of 10 times.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 3:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:

Did you pull the CRANK gear off & compare it to your old one at the rear?

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

===
----John Wayne----

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 4:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Did you pull the CRANK gear off & compare it to your old one at the rear?
I did- the crank gear- the little one!!! I took the old one off and installed the new one- I promise!

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 5:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
I did- the crank gear- the little one!!! I took the old one off and installed the new one- I promise!
That is not what I asked,,,
I asked if you compared the back of them
It is possible an early gear got packaged in the new set
This is why Scott asked you to post a picture of the gears

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT

===
----John Wayne----

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 5:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
That is not what I asked,,,
I asked if you compared the back of them
It is possible an early gear got packaged in the new set
This is why Scott asked you to post a picture of the gears
You guys are persistent! Yes- I definitely have a late crank gear. I compared the new to the old- they are completely different- they look like your pics in the other thread. I'll pop it back off when I get home tonight and post a pic!

1970 Monte in the 11s
1968 Camaro in the 10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1348 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.