TCI 6X 6 Speed Automatic Autopsy...... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 10:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Re: TCI 6X 6 Speed Automatic Autopsy......

Maybe time for them (TCI) to consider offering a billet direct clutch backing plate if this is more than an isolated incident.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 14, 2:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
Maybe time for them (TCI) to consider offering a billet direct clutch backing plate if this is more than an isolated incident.
David, is that plate made of iron so as to have a non galling surface for the last friction? That is the only reason I could see what it is made of cast iron rather thn steel.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

A tech man at TCI called Clint at Carls this morning, they put their heads together and came to the same conclusion, the main pressure solenoid had stuck for a moment, causing a pressure spike that shattered that clutch pack backing plate.

All the new parts are in, Clint is assembling the unit tomorrow. I will pick it up Wednesday eavening.

I will let everybody know what the cost for the rebuild is. I never mentioned to TCI if perhaps they should bear some of the expense, since a parts failure is hardly something they could foresee.

By the way, I am going back with a new 2800 stall converter. I can't wait to nail down on it the first time.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 7:50 AM
Tech Team
Marty

For the price you paid for that trans I would expect TCI to volunteer at least the parts for the repair.

Dart 540, AFR 315s, Crane gold rockers, Morel Hyd lifters, Vic Jr, Pro Systems 1000HP, Crane Ignition, Jakes Performance TH400, and one tiny cam.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 10:46 AM
Tech Team
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmonkey View Post
For the price you paid for that trans I would expect TCI to volunteer at least the parts for the repair.
Right - you would hope they would stand behind their product. I can understand not covering labor for another shop.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 2:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
A tech man at TCI called Clint at Carls this morning, they put their heads together and came to the same conclusion, the main pressure solenoid had stuck for a moment, causing a pressure spike that shattered that clutch pack backing plate.

All the new parts are in, Clint is assembling the unit tomorrow. I will pick it up Wednesday eavening.

I will let everybody know what the cost for the rebuild is. I never mentioned to TCI if perhaps they should bear some of the expense, since a parts failure is hardly something they could foresee.

By the way, I am going back with a new 2800 stall converter. I can't wait to nail down on it the first time.
What brand converter? Who markets quality converters these days that will stand up to rigorous street use and occasional trips to the strip?

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 6:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
What brand converter? Who markets quality converters these days that will stand up to rigorous street use and occasional trips to the strip?
The converter, which is a 2800 stall unit with lock-up, came straight from TCI. $1200.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 6:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I just talked to Dennis Campbell at TCI, I will send them all of the damaged parts, receipts, and pictures, and they will get back with me.

I will let everybody know how it goes.

As I have said, My main concern is that this does not happen again.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 11:31 AM

I know this is an old thread, but what ever happened? Did TCI step up at all and cover any of the cost? Since the transmission was fixed have you had any additional problems?

Thanks!
70CHEVELLE396 and Kirk's67SS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 418 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.