Rear left wheel locked up - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 5:01 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Rear left wheel locked up

Hi, my names mike, i just purchased a 1969 chevy chevelle malibu, im new to the whole mechanics thing and im working my way from the ground up and i was wondering if someone could give me some feedback. my chevelle has a left rear wheel that will not roll foward but will roll backward (when in neutral), i did some research and i suspect it could have something to do with the drum brake but i am not 100% sure. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 5:14 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Re: Rear left wheel locked up

Check the brake or have someone check . It could be the brake linings have released from the shoe and jammed.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 5:19 PM Thread Starter
Mike

I'll take a look at it. much appreciated

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 6:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Brake shoes are retained by several parts.

There are heavy springs that pull the top of each shoe against the anchor pin, a large bolt at the top of the backing plate (after you remove the brake drum).

There is a pin that sorta look like nails with a funny looking point, that hold each brake shoe against the backing plate. The inside end of the pin has a small spring around it with a "keeper" to hold the spring on.

There is an adjuster at the bottom of the brake shoes, one end on each shoe, with a heavy spring hooked between the shoes across the top of the adjuster.

If any one of these are missing or broken it may cause your symptoms.

The below picture is the passenger side.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...2/P1020008.jpg

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 7:03 PM
Tech Team
Gary

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296459

Here's a link to another thread on the forum that has pictures of how it's supposed to look. You'll probably have to back off the adjuster to get the drum off since it sounds like it's tight already. Looking from behind at the backing plate, you'll see a slot that may or may not have a rubber plug in it. Through that slot you'll be able to spin the adjuster with a flat blade screwdriver...one way will make it tighter, the other looser. Loosening it will solve your problem but you better take a look at it anyway on both sides. Check for contamination from oil or brake fluid too. And, keep your greasy mitts off the lining when you're working on it. Plenty of help available here and on youtube showing all about drum brakes.

Edit: One thing to note, the shoe with the shorter amount of lining goes towards the front, longer one goes to the rear.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 14, 3:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kelly

Garage

I'd look at the parking brake too.

Used to have a 68 SS 396, now I collect 71 Montes
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 14, 4:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I had big issue with only one wheel locking up and ended up rebuilding both rear brakes with new backing plates. Things to check...

Contaminated brake shoes. You can even spray with brake cleaner and test brakes for a short time
Leaking wheel cylinders
Worn out backing plates causing improper function
Seized parking brake
Brake drum out of round
Make sure both sides are adjusted equally.

Note it could be a combination of these.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 14, 7:44 PM Thread Starter
Mike

thanks ill be sure to look into all of this. im planning on taking it all apart this weekend seeing as I don't get much time during the weeks, so im trying to do as much homework as possible to get as much done as possible. is there any chance that it could have something to do with the rear end or is it moist likely to be a brake issue?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 14, 11:19 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

It is most likely a brake issue.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 14, 5:15 AM
Tech Team
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripleydale View Post
I'd look at the parking brake too.
Definitely.Nick
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 14, 12:01 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
It is most likely a brake issue.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 14, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

Perhaps a rearend problem, spider gear cracked, broken, or something loose........just thinking outside the box.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 14, 1:51 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_master_Long View Post
thanks ill be sure to look into all of this. im planning on taking it all apart this weekend seeing as I don't get much time during the weeks, so im trying to do as much homework as possible to get as much done as possible. is there any chance that it could have something to do with the rear end or is it moist likely to be a brake issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary56 View Post
Uh, Gary, I was responding to specific question he asked in the post just prior to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deejay View Post
Perhaps a rearend problem, spider gear cracked, broken, or something loose........just thinking outside the box.
But wouldn't that prevent the wheel from moving in both directions?

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 14, 2:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

[QUOTE=Rich-L79;5654274]Uh, Gary, I was responding to specific question he asked in the post just prior to my post.

But wouldn't that prevent the wheel from moving in both directions?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what broke ? ,I had the pinion nut fall off of my 69 SS while going around a turn and the rear end locked and then the car skidded to a stop.I was only going about 15-20 and making a turn on a city block,so damage was minimal but terminal.My point is I was able to push it backwards into a corner parking spot but it would lock up rolling forward again.
But
That was with both wheels locking up,in this case with only one wheel locking up it most likely is a brake issue.
Don't rule out a hydraulic problem, when the rear brake hose goes bad it can cause a drag on the rear brakes till they heat up and lock.Then the one with the tightest adjustment will lock up first.
If its a rusted & seized brake cable it will be locked up all the time and if it's over adjusted it will be the locked up all the time.If it's a hydraulic problem (brake hose) it will get worse the more you drive the car and the hotter the brakes get.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 14, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Mike

So Yesterday I Took apart Both Drums (Which Was A Battle With The Driver Side One) And Found The Nail On The Rear Mount Spring Had SlippEd Through The Slotted washer ANd The Shoe Had come Loose then Locked Against The Drum Cover, So I Bought A Spring Kit And Replaced All The Springs BUt The Cover Will Not Go Back On With Ease Like The Passenger Side Does. It Really Doesnt Go Back On At All With AnythiNg Short Of A Sledge Hammer. (Which Im Definately Not Going To Try)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2086 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.