Rear left wheel locked up - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 14, 1:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Re: Rear left wheel locked up

By cover you mean the brake drum?

You may need to turn the adjuster. The toothed (looks like gear teeth) device between the brake shoes at the bottom.

To make it easier to install the drum, turn the top of the wheel with teeth away from you.

There is an adjuster on the toothed wheel near the top. It is much easier to turn if you pry the out a little so it is not setting against the teeth.

After you have turned the wheel enough to get the drum back on you must then adjust it so the brake shoes are very near the drum.

With the drum installed, use a brake adjusting tool, or a flat screw driver, to turn the wheel through the slot in the back side of the backing plate. The drum should turn with very little or no drag from the brake shoes. I usually adjust the brakes against the drum then back off until the drum turns fairly easily. Do this on both sides.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...2/P1020008.jpg

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 14, 9:31 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Uh, Gary, I was responding to specific question he asked in the post just prior to my post.
Yep, I read the last post which struck me as funny. Sorry, no intention to offend. As usual, the joke's on me.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 14, 2:14 PM Thread Starter
Mike

I Did That Just Now Verle But The Drum Still Wont Fit On. I Also Noticed That There Is Almost No Wear On The Pads, Where As The On ThePassenger Side There is, Could This Be My Problem?

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 14, 8:22 PM
Tech Team
terry b

You need to look at the picture Verle posted and make sure your brakes look exactly like that http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...FP1020008.jpge pic.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 14, 2:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_master_Long View Post
I Did That Just Now Verle But The Drum Still Wont Fit On. I Also Noticed That There Is Almost No Wear On The Pads, Where As The On ThePassenger Side There is, Could This Be My Problem?
if your shoes are adjusted properly. Your emergency brake is hung up some where. If it is hung up it might have disconnected your brake hardware. You could remove the e brake bar between the shoes temporarily to try and diagnose your problem. Good luck Rob
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 14, 1:38 PM
Tech Team
Gary

[QUOTE=SS39667CHEVELLE;5698674]You need to look at the picture Verle posted and make sure your brakes look exactly like that http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...FP1020008.jpge pic.[/QUOTE

Not exactly. That is a picture of the front brake. He's working on the rear. His should look like the one pictured on this link.

http://www.opgi.com/common/CH27961-lrg.jpg

Checking the emergency brake cable is also a very good idea as another poster said. When they get old they fray and or seize inside the housing.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 14, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Check to make sure the adjuster is turned all the way back in. Also make sure the shoes are even with each other like this ( ). If one is off center the drum wont go on. Finally, it may be necessary to loosen up the parking brake cable adjustment as well. If rust isnt much of a problem where you live, then loosening it up shouldnt be too much of a problem. In the rust belt, you might as well pack a lunch when it comes to loosening up the parking brake cable.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 14, 11:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

I would assume when the drum was off you made sure to turn the axle ruling out a bad bearing. If not do so. Also push the wheel cylinder pistons in by hand to check if one is size in the bore. Not a whole lot that can go wrong there just make sure everything is working as it's supposed to.

You tube video laying down final paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 14, 1:02 AM
Team Member
Steamy

BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 1:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi_master_Long View Post
Really strange problem you report.You say left rear wheel locked up and then you say the right rear has more wear than the left rear.Its possible that whoever did the last brake repair ( clue:shoes with almost no wear)installed something wrong.A picture would help figure out the problem.
Check the emergency brake adjuster, if it's threaded all the way in loosen it up and see if it now slides on.
Also just so you don't confuse people rear drum brakes have brake shoes, disc brakes have brake pads.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 9:04 PM
Tech Team
Jason

This may not solve the problem, but if the shoes are worn unevenly wouldn't it be a good idea, and cheap insurance to go ahead and replace them? That way once you get everything figured out you would have the piece of mind that everything is new and correct

Cool costs money. How cool do you want to be?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 14, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
KeithD

Take everything off. While it's off, make sure the axles turn to rule out seized bearings and bad stuff inside the rear end housing. screw the adjuster assemblies all the way in then put it all back on again so it looks like BillL's pics above. Slip a drum on. Notice how it just sort of falls on. Pull it back off and adjust the adjuster (heh) some, then test fit the drum again. Keep doing that til it won't go on, then back off a little. You should hear a little scrape when you turn the drum. Now do the other side just the same. Once both sides are like that, screw on a couple lug nuts on each side to hold the drums straight and have someone press the brake pedal while you try to turn the drums. If they are both free when the pedal is released and tight when the pedal is down, you are almost done. Test the parking brake. Bleed the brakes while it is up on the stands. This is usually good enough to move a car around in the driveway or in and out of the garage.

If one brake works and the other doesn't, try to bleed them. One wheel cylinder may be seized. If fluid comes out the one that doesn't work when you try to bleed them, then that is what is wrong. If you can't get fluid from the one that doesn't work, then you have a bad axle line. Check it for dents and crimps. On a 40 year old car, you should have in your plan of stuff to do, at least new rubber brake hoses and probably new rear brake lines. You don't have to buy them, you can make them from pieces of tube bought at the parts store. Should be several threads here about how to do it.

I didn't see mentioned whether the car is a driver or a "back 40" car dragged out of the weeds that you are trying to get drivable. Different things wear out from sitting than from driving.

Well, THAT used up all my words for the week.

"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same."

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 14, 12:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Sorry to say but unless Mike comes up with a couple of pics of the problem side he's never going to get any real definite answers.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 14, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Could be the light when the pic was taken but the left side backing plate edge looks shiny like it could be hitting the drum and when you tighten the wheel down it locks up. Sure you would notice something like that just thought I'd throw that out there.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 14, 4:08 PM
Team Member
Steamy

Wink Re: Rear left wheel locked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
Could be the light when the pic was taken but the left side backing plate edge looks shiny like it could be hitting the drum and when you tighten the wheel down it locks up. Sure you would notice something like that just thought I'd throw that out there.

Those are pics of my car I posted for reference for Mike, who started the thread. They aren't of the problem car.
BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2071 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.