Anyone use Wheel Vintiques 17" OE wheels? - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 13, 2:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member

Garage
Arrow Anyone use Wheel Vintiques 17" OE wheels?

On my current project I am using steel 15x7 wheels with dog dish hubcaps. I don't like the look of an 8" or wider 15" wheel on the front because the tires look too big. But I do like the wider tire choices when you get to a 17" wheel. I have a set of brand new 285-50 Firestone Indy tires I took off my 71 el camino SS when I played with the YearOne 17x9 repro wheels (which I still have and am going to list for sale soon). The YearOne wheels had a 5" back spacing and seemed to be perfect with zero offset. I'm thinking about using a 17x9 steel wheel all the way around. Any comments, pictures or experiences to share?

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 13, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Anyone use Wheel Vintiques 17" OE wheels?

Hot Rod magazine has a 66 Buick with 17 or 18" OE style wheels on it. Doesn't look bad
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 13, 1:35 PM
Tech Team
Josh

I have a 65 with 17x8 with 245/45/17 in front and 17x9 with 275/40/17 in back. Cant find the picture on my computer right now. When I get back from work later, I will post a picture of it.
These are also the dog dish type wheels. I think they look good, mean plain look. They are a bit heavy though. I heard wheel vintiques can make these wheels in aluminum, which would be cool.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 13, 10:35 PM
Tech Team
Josh

Heres the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle (2)_2.jpg
Views:	4887
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	91586  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 13, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Garage

Josh who makes that wheel? I like the look.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member

Garage

That does look bad ass. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 1:30 AM
Tech Team
Josh

Wheel Vintiques, there located in Fresno, California. I believe there the series 62 wheel. There made to fit the dog dish type hubcap.
hydro462 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 13, 1:31 AM
Administrator

Garage

Thanks.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 13, 2:27 PM
Tech Team
Will

I have been contemplating getting some of these wheels ever since I saw them on this car and fell in love with the look.

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sal.../132177/105265

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=phetogpkADc

It seems like they are pretty high? Where did you get your's from?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 13, 4:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Frank Riley

Summit Racing sells Wheel Vintiques wheels...

70-454 LS5

Greater Kansas City
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 13, 12:11 AM
Tech Team
Josh

The car is a little jacked up because there is no motor, trans, and interior in that photo. Just had Mike Lewis built me a 489bbc for it and currently prepping the car for paint.

I ordered the wheels from Wheel Vintiques directly, with the backspacing I wanted. The wheels came bare metal, which I then had powdercoated. I believe Wheel Vintiques can powercoat them for you for a price, but I wanted a certain shade of black.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 13, 8:31 AM
Senior Tech Team

I have the chrome version of those in 14" (series 64). Bought them through Summit. Before mounting tires I put them on the front of the car and checked run-out with a dial indicator. They are nice - spun straight and true. Tires took very little weight to balance, and they run smooth. They are lug-centric, not hub-centric like true OE wheels.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 13, 12:37 PM
Tech Team
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer View Post
The car is a little jacked up because there is no motor, trans, and interior in that photo. Just had Mike Lewis built me a 489bbc for it and currently prepping the car for paint.

I ordered the wheels from Wheel Vintiques directly, with the backspacing I wanted. The wheels came bare metal, which I then had powdercoated. I believe Wheel Vintiques can powercoat them for you for a price, but I wanted a certain shade of black.

Roadracer what backspacing did you end up using? I just got my 17 x 9s that I ordered for the back of my 65 four door 300 Deluxe. I am having a couple of issues with them. I had measured that the wheel backspacing should be 5.75" backspacing but foolishy I was so excited when I ordered them that they are 5.125" backspacing. They took about 6 weeks to get in. Just got em Tuesday. They stick out too far. They look awesome but I know they would not fit with a tire on.

I can send these wheels back to Summit and get my money back for just the cost of shipping. These wheels are HEAVY!! The 14" wheel and 225/70R14 tire combo I took off weighed 37 lbs. The 17" wheel alone weighs 39.5 lbs. My other option I have been thinking about is narrowing the rear end about 1" on each side and using 62-67 Chevy II axle shafts. I have a 67 SS and I had to buy special back spacing wheel on it to fit 295/50R15 tires. They were 15 x 8s with 5.125" backspacing. The wheels don't look as cool when they loose all there front spacing.

My other issue is the hubcap is know where close to going on whatsoever. I called Summit to ask them what was up and they said Wheel Vintques says to spray them with WD40, start them on two knobs, and whack them with your fist. I then called Wheel Vintiques directly. He said go around the hubcap with pliers bending it out. His also said to grind the knobs down some. I have heard of other folks having to do this to fit the caps but I seems pretty ridiculous to grind on a brand new wheel to fit the factory hubcaps. That is what this wheel is designed for. An exact replica of the 14" factory 62 series wheel. Pretty disappointed with that problem. Anyone that can help me on this problem with the hubcap?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 14, 9:48 PM
Tech Team
Petie

Quote:
Heres the photo
i like ! do u have a hole car pic ?

64 2-DR HT CHEVELLE MALIBU
70 MALIBU Ls LQ4 PROJECT
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 7:13 AM
Kev

Exclamation Re: Anyone use Wheel Vintiques 17" OE wheels?

Quote:
I have a 65 with 17x8 with 245/45/17 in front and 17x9 with 275/40/17 in back. Cant find the picture on my computer right now. When I get back from work later, I will post a picture of it.
These are also the dog dish type wheels. I think they look good, mean plain look. They are a bit heavy though. I heard wheel vintiques can make these wheels in aluminum, which would be cool.
can we get some more pics??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 781 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.