A-body convertible frame Q & A - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
2014 General Tech Forum from 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 09, 2:16 PM
Mark

Re: A-body convertible frame Q & A

Anyone know where I can locate a frame for a '65 Chevelle convertible? They're about as common as a football bat! There was a vendor at the 2008 Spring Carlisle show (possibly out of Texas) who had 3 or 4 frames all stacked up, but I can't seem to locate them. They were right around the corner from the Ausley's truck. Anyone remember the guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 11:07 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Send a message via Yahoo to ed1969

Mark I see them twice a year @ Carlisle, Sundell Auto Specialties( 704-434-6759) NC
Let me know if you can't find one . I see a lot of conv stuff, Ed

TC#4202
Aces#7911
68 SS(11.38 et, street dressed),69 L-78 conv.,69 SS, 72 conv.,68 4dr deluxe,(2)69 malibu,(2)68 malibu conv,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 1:32 PM
dave

ED
I see you know how to get ahold of vert. frames, I am looking for a frame for my 72 chevelle, can u guide me in the right direction.
thanks dave

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old May 6th, 12, 2:02 AM
Thomas

A new kid on the block with an important question....

I'm building a 66 chevelle convertible and I'm in need of a frame. I have found a 66 buick skylark convertible frame that is in mint condition. Is this frame the correct match..... or do I need to make some minor modifications?

any imput would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

Thomas
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 12, 10:28 AM
Chris

Does anyone have a side by side view of a stock convertible frame and a stock hardtop frame?? I understand the concept of boxing the frame but I'm new to full framed cars and would like to see what the exact differences are. Thanks for the assist.
-Christopher
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 12, 11:41 AM
Danny

Ok so I have a 66 convertible, in the middle of a frame off. My frame is pretty much swiss cheese. Contacted sundell but they wanted $3400 to ship a frame to the west coast, and by talking to the guy it seems as though they are just modding elco and hardtop frames to work, not always using original vert frames.

So... I located a chassis in perfect condition from a 66 elco. Ive heard from some people you shorten em 1.25", ive heard 3.27", and have been trying to do my research to get this right.

If i have both frames sitting side by side, is it as easy as to cut the rear most factory weld on the frame after the rear hump, and swap the chevelle trunk support section with the elco and call it a day?
It seems as tho people shortening elco frames dont have any chevelle frame to swap parts with.
I dont want to spread mis-information but i was told that GM made the frames exactly the same up to where the rear most weld is, and either put the chevelle trunk support section on, or the longer elcamino.
Please clarify if im wrong, and mods feel free to remove any misinformation in my post, but if the swap is that easy, it may help to keep people from being afraid of doing it.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 3:11 PM

I posted this same question in the in another area also. Are '64 and '65 identical?? I understand the verts are boxed. Can you use a '64 frame for a '65 body? vert to vert, or hard top to hard top. thanks.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 13, 3:55 PM
Juan

Does anyone have any information on using a 65 convertible cutlass frame on 67 convertible chevelle? Will it work or does anyone know if it will work. Half the posts I read show it will work and the other half say it won't work. Thanks

Juan
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 11:47 PM
Team Member
Steve

Can someone confirm that if a frame measures 173 and 3/8 inches from mounting hole on front arm to mounting hole on rear and 53 inches from one side center mounting hole to the other side that it is a 72 convertible frame?

I assume that other models (Grand Prix, El Camino), years (68, 73), etc. will differ in one or both of these measurements - is that correct?

1972 Chevelle - 350 - TH350
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 9:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
This diagram of frame dimensions may help answer some questions.
Go back to this post on the 1st page. the measurements are there you can add and see.

69 Chevelle Convert
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 10:15 AM
Team Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Go back to this post on the 1st page. the measurements are there you can add and see.
Gee, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I was asking if someone would confirm I was looking at and adding up the right numbers.

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 12:16 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Steve,

Using the frame dimensions shown in the GM issued Service Manual for 1972 models on page 2-3, your calculations are correct. The frame would be the same as a 1972 convertible as long as it was fitted with the correct center double bracing section.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va72Chevelle View Post
Gee, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I was asking if someone would confirm I was looking at and adding up the right numbers.
Sorry chief you didnt say you had that so i thought you were measuring on your frame.

69 Chevelle Convert
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 1:17 PM
Team Member
Steve

Joe: what is the center double bracing section?

post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 14, 1:36 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Convertibles have a reenforced section in the center that runs from the area of the cowl to just forward of the rear frame kick up for the rear axel. A normal frame has a "C" shape cross section. The convertible frames have this too but they also have a second "C" shape turned and welded inside the first one that makes the frame a complete box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1318 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.