Who has used Dave's small body HEI's? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 17, 9:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
"Aussie"

Question Who has used Dave's small body HEI's?

Iím thinking about using DAVE's small-body HEIís to rebuild my points distributor as I do not have space for a regular sized HEI distributor.

Have any of you all used Daveís and if you have, are you happy with the results? What kind of coil did you use with it?

Thanks for your info on small body HEIís and coils!

"No replacement for displacement!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 17, 10:16 PM
Joe

Re: Who has used Dave's small body HEI's?

Am also interested in the same subject. Have a 68 big block car and have the room for a HEI but just don't like the look.
ysr_racer likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 17, 11:12 PM
Tech Team

I've had one of Dave's conversions for about 2 years now. Couldn't be happier. He built an advance curve to my engine's specs and provides all replacement part numbers and coil recommendations in his documentation. I'm using a Napa coil that looks like a stocker. Unless you're really lookng you would never know it's there.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 17, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
"Aussie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Anderson View Post
I've had one of Dave's conversions for about 2 years now. Couldn't be happier. He built an advance curve to my engine's specs and provides all replacement part numbers and coil recommendations in his documentation. I'm using a Napa coil that looks like a stocker. Unless you're really lookng you would never know it's there.
Gary, does Dave supply wiring diagrams/instructions?
Thanks!

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 17, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

It's my understanding that Dave's service and help is every bit as good as his products.

Contact - DAVE's small-body HEI's

He'll tell you to use an oil filled canister type ignition coil.
DJsSS and BigBlockLover496 like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 17, 11:44 PM
Team Member
Dan

I have one on my '69. Runs awesome, just using a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil right now, works well.

Dan
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Garage

Had one in my Nova with a 406, car ran strong just as good as it did with the GMPP HEI. One of the perks with Dave's units is that is is dialed into your car when it arrives. Truly a plug and play unit. It does come with lots of documentation and instructions.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 12:28 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockLover496 View Post
Gary, does Dave supply wiring diagrams/instructions?
Thanks!
Absolutely. All you need is 12v to the coil and connect two wires from the dist to the coil. He even asks how long you want the dist leads as he makes them for each unit. Couldn't be easier.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 9:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

I hadn't thought about posting on this topic, but, it is a good opportunity to reach both current users, and potential users of these ignition conversion, the small=body HEI, MSD Trigger Only and EFI-HEI. Call it a "SERVICE BULLETIN".

With any conversion done to a General Motors 'window" type point distributor, to any of the three conversions listed above, only one potential adverse condition can be inadvertently created. This applies to all brands of GM point distributors that use a distributor cap that has a window for point adjustment. It applies to rotor/rotor retainer screws to magnetic pickup clearances/interferences (strikes).

Condition: When converted, the distance between the top of the magnetic pickup and the square locating tab on the underside of the rotor, and the two rotor hold down screws is critical. If the screws, and/or the square locating tab are left stock length, there is an almost certain situation that the ends of the screws/locating tab WILL hit the top of the magnetic pickup, and damage it beyond function, causing ignition failure.

Alterations to replacement rotors and hold down screws:

Rotor: a simple cut of the excess square locating tab material to the same distance the round tab is, will shorten the square tab so it does not protrude past the bottom of the rotor mounting plate, giving adequate rotor to pickup clearance, and no interference failures. Simply stated, cut/shorten the square tab to the same height as the round tab on the underside of the rotor.

Rotor hold down screws: During the conversion process, the two stock length rotor hold down screws that hold the rotor to the rotor holding plate, are shortened to a thread length of 1/2 inch, and made to NOT protrude past the bottom of the rotor mounting plate, which stops the screw threads from hitting the magnetic pickup. Simply stated, stock screws are too long, their threads will hit the top of the magnetic pickup, and they need to be shortened to work. When done, the ends of the screw threads shold be at the same level as the bottom of the rotor mounting plate.

Suggestion on rotor hold down screws, use the ones in the old distributor rotor now, for the new rotor, so shortening will not be needed. Simply stated, if you can feel the ends of the screws, and/or the square locating tab protruding past the bottom of the rotor mounting plate, they are too long, and need to be shortened. Some very few rotors come with a short square, and round locating tab, but most rotors have a short round tab, longer square tab. ALL ROTOR SCREWS THAT COME WITH REPLACEMENT ROTORS ARE TOO LONG FOR THIS APPLICATION, AND NEED TO BE SHORTENED.

Please read your installation instructions, first page, first section, this issue is outlined with text and a drawing on what is what. If in doubt, shorten the square tab, use the screws AND washers from the old rotor, check for anything protruding below the bottom of the rotor mounting plate, alter as needed.

PLEASE NOTE, SHORTENING THE ROTOR HOLD DOWN SCREWS TO THE LENGTH NEEDED DOES NOT WEAKEN THE ROTOR TO ROTOR MOUNTING PLATE HOLDING STRENGTH.

Anyone that wishes to have me send them the first page of the installation instructions pages, to view those instructions for rotor to pickup clearances, please send me an email and I will be happy to send you the page, just ask for the rotor to pickup clearance page. Email to use: [email protected]

This is the ONLY potentially adverse issue with the conversions to the G.M. window distributors, but, if instructions are followed, no problems should occur. If you have a service facility that works on your vehicle, especially tune ups, it would be good to include the page when the car is taken into the shop for ignition system work/tune-ups.

In the decades of these conversions, there have only been 3 pickup strikes that I am aware of, one came from an owner whom altered is distributor per other's recommendations, insisted he knew what he was doing, just after throwing the instructions away, and created his own issues. Two more happened when cars went into shops and service techs failed to read the instructions.

Please, lets agree to call this a SERVICE BULLETIN, nothing else.
BillK, CDN SS, paul bell and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 9:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

That is excellent information Dave.
Those little things get overlooked and can become disastrous.

Wife's grandfather had this old Massey Ferguson gasoline tractor sitting in the barn for as long as I could remember..he said it was over 10 years.
I asked why he did not use it. He said it would start right up then die immediately.
He lived in Cameron Missouri and said he had 2 mechanics look at it and could not figure it out.
I said I want to look at it.

I checked everything and it all looked good until I pulled the distributor cap off and noticed the screw that holds the ground wires for the points was very long and about .005" away from the cast distributor body.
I removed the screw and cut it short and stuck it back in and told him fire it up and drive it out of this barn.

He laughed. But did just that and then hooked the brush hog onto it and began mowing. He was in his 90's then.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
"Aussie"

Wow, Great info!! And thanks to Dave for the service bulletin.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 1:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

What gear do they come with? Melonized ac delco?

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4Ē wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 17, 1:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Please understand, the issue outlined in the above SERVICE BULLETIN exists only on the DAVE's small-body HEI's converted GM point distributors, NOT on any other manufacturer's, nor vendor's ignition system install, nor product. It looked like some might have thought it was wide spread on all conversions and stock distributors. Just clarifying.

To aim it in the right direction..........'both'.

Please remember, vendors are not supposed to use the boards as advertising venues, and I do not intend to violate that trust and rule. Please ask in a PM, or via the email address given above, happy to answer there. This came about here some years ago, when I got falsely accused of advertising on the boards, and taken to task for answering ignition questions, while others listed links, other direct contacts for their favorite vendors, without reprisal.
paul bell likes this.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 17, 1:08 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

no sweat Dave. Thanks for taking time to post. if anybody gives you any crap about this do not pass Go, do not collect $200, refer them to me.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 17, 2:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Had one in my Nova with a 406, car ran strong just as good as it did with the GMPP HEI. One of the perks with Dave's units is that is is dialed into your car when it arrives. Truly a plug and play unit. It does come with lots of documentation and instructions.

I have run a few of Dave's conversions, and NEVER had a problem.

My first was on a dual quad big block, where an HEI wouldn't fit. The other is on a stock "resto" (not concours correct).

Dave sends a packet of instructions, with replacement part numbers for various brands (NAPA, etc), and discusses the coil choices. Dave asked about the car (gearing, transmission, cam specs (IIRC), and he sets the mechanical curve for YOUR engine combo. Dave disassembles the distributor, and "rebuilds" it (new bushings, "rechromes" the shaft), so its like new, and then modifys it for the conversion. IIRC, I also got the adjustible vacuum canister, and that was also setup and limited... Ready to drop in and fire up.

My only complaints (sorry Dave ) would be a long lead time (Dave had an injury though back when he did my last conversion, and I think he works by himself), and also that I had to find a core (ironcially, I did not find it easy to find a stock window distributor "core" at a reasonable core price, as mine already had a swapped-in HEI)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 904 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.