13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: PCV Valve Fouling my plugs and Bad Idle Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINER View Post
I think I have the worse luck on this forum. I just want to drive the car lol
Nah. You have had some bad luck, let me tell you about mine.

I had to go back through my 383 and have it re honed to clean up a oil contamination issue. Had less than a few hundred miles on it.

Now the car is on hold in major reconstruction of the sheet metal and body. May have to sell mine!

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Nah. You have had some bad luck, let me tell you about mine.

I had to go back through my 383 and have it re honed to clean up a oil contamination issue. Had less than a few hundred miles on it.

Now the car is on hold in major reconstruction of the sheet metal and body. May have to sell mine!
Sorry to hear that man. I really hope you work out the issues on the car

1970 Chevelle
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 16, 10:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that man. I really hope you work out the issues on the car
Thanks. Give me a call sometime if you still have my number.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.

post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 16, 11:42 AM
REL3RD - BOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie chevelle guy View Post
If you have enough crankcase pressure to cause leaks with breathers, you've got serious blow by.
I agree. I have been running 2 breathers on my car since I built the engine 3 years ago. No leaks, no dripping breathers...

I did try an "L88 spec'd PCV valve" for a short time, but even with baffled valve covers, and lower vacuum, the thing sucked oil into the combustion chambers, and oil looked nasty in no time at all...With just 2 breathers, idle is smoother, oil stays cleaner looking a lot longer, and no oil contaminated intake air being drawn in....

Quote:
Thanks but why does a PCV have so much influence on idle and drivability?
Like someone said, it's a controlled vacuum leak, so needs to be compensated for, as far as idle.

I do know I am not ever paying $129 for a PCV valve...

I am...REL3RD aka BOB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 16, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis

Garage

Well I'm gonna roll the dice at this stage. I actually ordered a ME Wagner Adjustable PCV and a catch can.

The reasoning for this is for two things. The oil drainage passages in my Brodix heads are rather small and oil can pool up towards the rear of the heads where the baffle and breather is. The distance from the baffle and the breather is probably 3/8" which in my thought process causes higher velocity of air escaping causing shooting any oil mist up and out. Now, I don't have an engine or engine bay covered in oil but I do see faint white smoke rising out of the breathers at idle.

The rings I have on my engine are Total Seal Plasma Moly. The engine it self has 235 miles on it some of those are dyno sessions, street poundings, and idle tuning time. I'm hoping the adjustable PCV paired with a separator tank will allow to better tune my idle mixture, have it run better and keep my plugs from getting oil soaked. I'm currently running 40wt Valvoline VR1 (Houston is friggin hot) with Extreme Polymers Racing Oil Additive. My pressure sits around 38-42psi fully hot (compared to 25-30psi hot with 10W30 and no additive). My bearing clearances are about .030

I'm talking to my engine builder now to see their thoughts but they state the streaking is fairly common on very low mileage assemblies.
Importtech and boyd66k20 like this.

1970 Chevelle
post #51 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 16, 11:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

Why are you not doing a leak down test?
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerman View Post
Well I'm not saying I will not do it, however, for right now I'm gonna try this until the engine has 1,000 miles or so. Regardless, if the engine has damage~ it will be there waiting for me to fix it when I'm ready. Honestly, just not ready to do anything with it at this point, 2 toddlers keeps me well away from the garage.

If I do have a problem with the engine, I will be doing a GM LS crate motor this time. Just got to save lol

1970 Chevelle
post #53 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 12:14 AM
Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Well I'm gonna roll the dice at this stage. I actually ordered a ME Wagner Adjustable PCV and a catch can.

The reasoning for this is for two things. The oil drainage passages in my Brodix heads are rather small and oil can pool up towards the rear of the heads where the baffle and breather is. The distance from the baffle and the breather is probably 3/8" which in my thought process causes higher velocity of air escaping causing shooting any oil mist up and out. Now, I don't have an engine or engine bay covered in oil but I do see faint white smoke rising out of the breathers at idle.

The rings I have on my engine are Total Seal Plasma Moly. The engine it self has 235 miles on it some of those are dyno sessions, street poundings, and idle tuning time. I'm hoping the adjustable PCV paired with a separator tank will allow to better tune my idle mixture, have it run better and keep my plugs from getting oil soaked. I'm currently running 40wt Valvoline VR1 (Houston is friggin hot) with Extreme Polymers Racing Oil Additive. My pressure sits around 38-42psi fully hot (compared to 25-30psi hot with 10W30 and no additive). My bearing clearances are about .030

I'm talking to my engine builder now to see their thoughts but they state the streaking is fairly common on very low mileage assemblies.
I hope you mean .003

68 Malibu 496
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #54 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybigblock View Post
I hope you mean .003
You are right, my typo

1970 Chevelle
post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 12:31 AM
Tech Team
Scott

I've been interested in this thread. FWIW, I run 2 breathers.

68 Malibu 496
post #56 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybigblock View Post
I've been interested in this thread. FWIW, I run 2 breathers.
Call Gene at ME Wagner and he will tell you all you need to know. There is also scientific data showing it is not sufficient in running two breathers. For me it was simple, my oil pan gasket will seep oil, with a PCV it won't. I just need to put a proper PCV in and re evaluate my baffle design. www.mewagner.com, read the articles and scientific data, you will find it interesting.
boyd66k20 likes this.
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 5:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Quote:
Call Gene at ME Wagner and he will tell you all you need to know. There is also scientific data showing it is not sufficient in running two breathers. For me it was simple, my oil pan gasket will seep oil, with a PCV it won't. I just need to put a proper PCV in and re evaluate my baffle design. M/E Wagner Performance Products | High Performance Crankcase Ventilation Systems, read the articles and scientific data, you will find it interesting.
Just for the record for those that want to try, you can get a "fixed orifice" PCV valve at Oreilly for all of $0.99. Look it up for a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L. I've been trying different PCV's for low vacuum and a "smell" at idle, and this one is next up for me to try. There is no guesswork on whether the PCV is working or not with this. It literally is a hollow body PCV valve with a hole in the bottom, so if the PCV hose has manifold vacuum, it will work.

I've seen some crazy stuff at car shows regarding this topic. NO PCV and NO breathers, 4 breathers, 2 Pcv valves, etc. etc.

I'm interested to see how the ME PCV works, though.

"The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap."

-Ayn Rand
post #58 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 8:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerman View Post
I think he ready to drive the s*it out of it and let the EPA worry about HC
post #59 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 8:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Shiner,
I would like to correct the info I provided in post #32; I was relying on memory & have since found the correct info.
The stock PCV flows about 4.5 cfm & a stock engine consumes about 17 cfm at idle. So the contribution from the PCV is about 27%.
post #60 of 91 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 16, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtogeoff View Post
Shiner,
I would like to correct the info I provided in post #32; I was relying on memory & have since found the correct info.
The stock PCV flows about 4.5 cfm & a stock engine consumes about 17 cfm at idle. So the contribution from the PCV is about 27%.
So can you get down to my level and explain how this affects idle and drive ability versus running solely two breathers

1970 Chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 756 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.