cast iron exhaust manifolds - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 16, 3:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage
cast iron exhaust manifolds

Which cast iron manifolds would be the best fit/performance for a SBC in a '67 El Camino?

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 3:32 AM
Tech Team
RANDY

Re: cast iron exhaust manifolds

All SBC Chevelles used the same style under the plug exhaust manifolds.

Some early ones had an alternator bracket molded on and some later ones had holes for AIR system.

For best performance there is an approx. 1990 pickup manifold in the same style but with 2 1/2" outlets. 14093654 RH, 14093653 LH

Thanks
Randy

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 9:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

Thanks Randy - I've been investigating this race series... SuperCar Races, American MuscleCar Racing ...and trying to determine what is considered legal/acceptable.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 1:10 PM
Tech Team
RANDY

Cool car and race series!!!

327-275 H.P. ???

Best of luck.

Thanks
Randy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 1:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

Yes, I have that engine combo, but anything is possible in the end. I came across this site and it appears that Chevy had some manifolds way back when with 2-1/2" outlets... CHEVROLET EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 1:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Yes, I have that engine combo, but anything is possible in the end. I came across this site and it appears that Chevy had some manifolds way back when with 2-1/2" outlets...
They did, but not in the style you're gonna have to use, only in the rams horn style. Gessler used to build high flowing manifolds like the ones you need, but I understand he doesn't do that any longer. They were rather costly, but if you gotta have them, cost is not a limiting factor for dedicated racers. As I recall, my Gessler set cost about $1500.00, including the cost of the cores.

You might try https://www.castheads.com/ since they do a lot of work for circle track racers that have restrictions a lot like the "stock appearing" drag racers do.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 16, 2:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

Thanks for that link Jon - I'm not sure yet how important casting numbers are for that series...an excerpt from their rules -

4.00 EXHAUST
4.01 Cast iron exhaust manifolds are mandatory and must be correct, have correct casting numbers and be of correct material. Under no circumstances will headers be allowed, including those cars that had headers delivered in the trunk.
Internal modifications are OK. Correct appearing exhaust manifold paint or coatings are OK. Casting date codes are not looked at and are not part of the tech process. Headers are allowed for a first time racer. One time only. Once the racer decides to be part of the series a game plan must be set by the Racer to be in compliance to respected set rules.
4.02 Even if equipped from the factory with cut-outs, all runs must be made with closed exhaust running through the mufflers.
4.03 Exhaust systems may be upgraded to a maximum of 2.5" diameter head and tail pipes.
Exception: Certain Max Wedge cars left the factory with 3" inch head pipes, these cars can retain these head pipes up to, but not past, the transmission tail-shaft. Even if equipped from the factory with cut-outs, all runs must be made with closed exhaust running through the mufflers.
4.04 Mufflers must be stock looking in design (Welded mufflers not encouraged). Maximum muffler inlet and outlet is 2.5”.
4.05 Exhaust pipes must exit in the correct original location.
4.06 Excessive exhaust leaks are not allowed.
4.07 "X" and "H" pipes are allowed. The “X” pipe assembly can not exceed 24” in length.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 16, 10:13 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Sanderson make a fine cast header, good for over 400 hp and they require NO gasket! Leak free, last forever, 2.5
' outlet and look good
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 16, 2:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff1200 View Post
Sanderson make a fine cast header, good for over 400 hp and they require NO gasket!
No way will the exhaust pipes needed for the Sandersons clear a stock Chevelle chassis, and even if they would, they wouldn't pass tech in the stock appearing classes.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 18, 5:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
All SBC Chevelles used the same style under the plug exhaust manifolds.

Some early ones had an alternator bracket molded on and some later ones had holes for AIR system.

For best performance there is an approx. 1990 pickup manifold in the same style but with 2 1/2" outlets. 14093654 RH, 14093653 LH

Thanks
Randy

Gathering parts for the '65 El Camino - The above part numbers seem to be scarce...found one set on ebay (used). Are these similar and would they work in the El Camino? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...odel/silverado https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...odel/silverado Would these be considered better than the factory logs?

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 5:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I don't think the above manifolds would be correct for Supercar rules. You would need the manifolds with the alternator mount on the left side manifold to be "correct".

It depends how strict they are with the rules.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 18, 7:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
I don't think the above manifolds would be correct for Supercar rules. You would need the manifolds with the alternator mount on the left side manifold to be "correct".

It depends how strict they are with the rules.
These are not for any class...rather a daily driver. I posed this question a couple of years ago (check the thread date lol) when I was interested. I just continued with the old thread because it had some part numbers listed.

Just received an email back on those supposed 2-1/2" manifolds...they are in fact only 2". It would appear I will end up using the factory logs after all.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 797 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.