The hits keep coming. Loud tick from the 454 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
The hits keep coming. Loud tick from the 454

Just got the new M20, bellhousing and exhaust installed this week and now this. I've noticed a tick from the engine for a bit but thought it was probably an exhaust leak. It doesn't get driven much so I let it be because the trans was the priority.

The new Pypes exhaust is quieter at idle than what was on it so this is much more pronounced. No idea what it is but I guess I'll pull the valve covers this weekend and see if there's anything glaring.

I'm new to older engines so if anyone can guide me in the right direction as where to start, I'd appreciate it.

The engine is a crate 454 that was supposedly rebuilt before we got the car. No idea how old it is because I can't see any numbers from the top.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage
Re: The hits keep coming. Loud tick from the 454

I would pull the valve covers for sure and see what's going on.. but you say you just changed trans etc etc, I would be looking for possibly a loose bolt. Use a long screw driver or something as a stethoscope to find out where its coming from.
427L88 likes this.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

It sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor to me.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Exclamation Re: The hits keep coming. Loud tick from the 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_Swisher View Post
I would pull the valve covers for sure and see what's going on.. but you say you just changed trans etc etc, I would be looking for possibly a loose bolt. Use a long screw driver or something as a stethoscope to find out where its coming from.
/\/\/\this
sounds like valvetrain noise=start with pulling valve covers to see possible loose/bent/broken parts

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 2:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceS427bb View Post
/\/\/\this
sounds like valvetrain noise=start with pulling valve covers to see possible loose/bent/broken parts
Definitely. Like I said, I'm not very knowledgeable on what it could be based on the noise. Rocker out of adjustment, collapsed lifter, bent pushrod? I'll at least pull the valve covers and see if there's something that even I can see.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 3:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Test and Tuner

Did you convert from an automatic trans to the Muncie? If so, was the flywheel removed? To me, that sounds like more than just a "tick". It didn't make the noise before the trans work?

'69 Chevelle 416" LSA TONY MAMO TFS Heads and custom Hyd roller cam.
Best 60' so far....1.34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Sharp Turbo 400
Motivational Engineering 3.07 12 bolt rear.
Chris Alston's complete "Auto - Cross" coil-over suspension.

Last edited by Pat_McNeil; Jul 22nd, 16 at 3:32 PM. Reason: added info.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 3:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_McNeil View Post
Did you convert from an automatic trans to the Muncie? If so, was the flywheel removed? To me, that sounds like more than just a "tick". It didn't make the noise before the trans work?
No, the car had a Saginaw 4 speed in it and I had the shop replace it with the Muncie. Flywheel was not removed.

It did make noise before but to me, it sounded like an exhaust leak. The exhaust on the car before was very loud, even at idle, so it made the tick less pronounced. With the new Pypes race pro system, it's a lot quieter at idle so the ticking is more noticeable.
Pat_McNeil likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 16, 4:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Test and Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead SS View Post
No, the car had a Saginaw 4 speed in it and I had the shop replace it with the Muncie. Flywheel was not removed.

It did make noise before but to me, it sounded like an exhaust leak. The exhaust on the car before was very loud, even at idle, so it made the tick less pronounced. With the new Pypes race pro system, it's a lot quieter at idle so the ticking is more noticeable.
Gotcha. Let us know what the rocker arms and springs look like when you get a chance to remove the covers. Good luck.

'69 Chevelle 416" LSA TONY MAMO TFS Heads and custom Hyd roller cam.
Best 60' so far....1.34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Sharp Turbo 400
Motivational Engineering 3.07 12 bolt rear.
Chris Alston's complete "Auto - Cross" coil-over suspension.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 16, 7:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I was about to start diagnosing where the noise was coming from. I bought a stethoscope to see if I could at least pinpoint which side it was coming from. Started it up and the noise was gone. Figured I'd let it run for a bit and see if it came back when it was warm. Nothing. I let it run for about 10 minutes and the noise never came back. It sounded just fine.

No idea what I should do now. Should I still pull the valve covers off to inspect the valve train? Could it be related to the new trans? I'm going to go drive it here in a bit to see if it comes back after running it through the gears.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 16, 8:29 PM
Levon

Pull the valve covers. You may have popped a rocker arm off and it may result in other damage if the lifter leaves its bore.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 16, 8:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

It may have been some dirt in a lifter and it cleared itself out. I'd run some Rislone engine treatment, Marvel mystery oil, transmission fluid, or your choice, for about 200 miles and then change the oil.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 16, 1:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

After I let the car sit for about an hour, I went back out and started it and the noise was back. Pulled the valve covers but there doesn't seem to be anything broken. Some of the rockers had a little bit of play and a few of them wouldn't move at all. I did find it odd that it appears that they painted heads with the valve train in and didn't bother masking anything off. Not that I've seen a lot of these but I don't remember ever seeing paint on the valve springs or rocker arms. Wonder if there's paint clogging something up. I took a lot of pics.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 16, 9:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

What kind of fuel pump do you have?

You say it is coming from the front of the engine - could be fuel pump pushrod.

I recently had a problem with the Holley 12-454-11 pumps. I tried 3 pumps, all made a very similar noise. I discovered that they have cast the engine block housings on them 1/4" too thick without changing the pump arm, which causes the pump arm geometry to be off and it makes the same tapping noise. The problem is the pivot point of the arm is now 1/4" farther from the block, and the pump arm sits about 1/4" farther out because they didn't change the pump arm to match, so the pushrod is now too short.

I took detailed measurements of all 3 Holley pumps, plus 2 stock pumps (no noise) and a Carter m4889 (no noise) and this was definitely the problem. My solution was the Carter m4889.

I've contacted Holley about it and even returned pumps and information and they are looking into the issue. But it's very very clear they have a manufacturing problem with them. Many people use them ok (don't know how) but in my case, it was a very clear problem.

So, check your fuel pump.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 16, 9:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Here's some great ideas to check from a problem that I had.
Although yours,(from the video on a computer)sounds like a rocker,mine sounded like a bad lifter,and turned out to be bad bearings.Shows how deceptive noises can be sometimes.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-e...g-me-nuts.html

GenVI 454,Autogear M-22W,Moser 12 w/3.42s

'67 Malibu,468 w/TH400

Project-

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 16, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
What kind of fuel pump do you have?

You say it is coming from the front of the engine - could be fuel pump pushrod.

I recently had a problem with the Holley 12-454-11 pumps. I tried 3 pumps, all made a very similar noise. I discovered that they have cast the engine block housings on them 1/4" too thick without changing the pump arm, which causes the pump arm geometry to be off and it makes the same tapping noise. The problem is the pivot point of the arm is now 1/4" farther from the block, and the pump arm sits about 1/4" farther out because they didn't change the pump arm to match, so the pushrod is now too short.

I took detailed measurements of all 3 Holley pumps, plus 2 stock pumps (no noise) and a Carter m4889 (no noise) and this was definitely the problem. My solution was the Carter m4889.

I've contacted Holley about it and even returned pumps and information and they are looking into the issue. But it's very very clear they have a manufacturing problem with them. Many people use them ok (don't know how) but in my case, it was a very clear problem.

So, check your fuel pump.
Looks like it's an Airtex 40468.

The block is a 3999289 72-78 2 bolt main 454. Any recommendations on a replacement fuel pump?

Last edited by Gearhead SS; Jul 24th, 16 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1222 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.