SBC Stepped Nose Cam in Early Block? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 16, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

SBC Stepped Nose Cam in Early Block?

Just curious if anyone has devised a way to use the later SBC "stepped-nosed" cams in the early SBC's?

We are trying to eliminate the required use of any cam-buttons in the 100% stock-appearing builds on the roller platform?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Open to any suggestions/recommendations. Have my own idea but like to hear some add'l possibilities/thoughts.

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#
Best time to date-11/2019 7.00 @ 204+ @ 3800#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 16, 4:15 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: SBC Stepped Nose Cam in Early Block?

Gary,
I keep thinking about this too. I was thinking of making some kind of spacer to support the thrust plate and bolt it in. One of the ears will actually line up with one of the front oil galley holes so you could probably drill and tap a plug and then use a spacer there but you still need to come up with something for the other side ?

I wont use anything but the step nose cams on the Rats and it sure would be nice to use them on the Small Blocks too.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 16, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
George

Gary,
I was looking at this problem around 2 years back. I could not come up with anything simple.
spot face the block, drill and tap, make a precision spacer.

George Kettler
o SOLD 8/2016 my beloved 1970 Elky 496.
o 68 Vette 427/M-20/3.36 23 year owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

o 68 Camaro Vert 327 project, painted, assembly stage

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 16, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

just use a roller cam block... the only real striking visual difference between them and an old small block once it's in the car is the size of the pad by the water pump where the id codes are stamped.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 16, 8:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I brought this back because it turned out to be a fairly simple resolution. Wasn't sure it could be done without extensive machining, solved it easily.

I'll put a couple shots below showing the basic's of the "fix". Takes about 30/40 minutes or so for the entire machining and can be done on a simple (decent) drill press capable of holding the block on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
just use a roller cam block... the only real striking visual difference between them and an old small block once it's in the car is the size of the pad by the water pump where the id codes are stamped.
Hi nova, we do a bunch of 100% stock-appearing builds where ANY replacement block is NOT an option. Now we can set up the roller cams (mostly retro-hydraulics) with the late thrust plate. No more "playing-around" with cam buttons/end play. Much easier for us here.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Anyone with any machining experience can accomplish this mod easily. With the way we designed the tool in the photo we can pick the 2 best spots on the original thrust surface to locate the 2 allen-head screws, an area that has some extra "meat" for the screw-threads.

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 16, 8:36 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

wow, haven't seen that before.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 16, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

I've seen this method before a few times. Pictures are somewhere on this forum. I'm surprised you didn't already know about it but maybe you did?

I did wonder how you could make adjustments to the end play of the cam using this method because it doesn't look adjustable to me.

I ended up using the reinforced Milodon timing cover with a Cloyes thrust bearing but I had to mill down the rear part of the thrust bearing to achieve .005" end play. Yep I agree, it's a pain doing it this way.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 12:28 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

don't need those ears on the sides anymore?

small taps in cast iron, any troubles there?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 12:39 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

it's not adjustable, doesn't need to be. the step in the nose is a standard depth, the plates are a standard thickness. step is a few thou deeper than the plate is thick.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 8:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
don't need those ears on the sides anymore?

small taps in cast iron, any troubles there?
Hi Tom, correct on the "ears", they aren't needed with this method. Later today I'll put another shot here with the plate finished, "ears" removed!

No problem drilling/tapping for the fasteners, entire procedure went smoothly after devising the jig to set all the holes in place. The jig is used to locate/drill the new holes in the plate also, in the first photo you can see the "register" that holds the plate in place to back-drill these holes.

Like I stated above, was fairly easy when I finally got a handle on exactly how I was going to get it to come together.

The only potential issue on some blocks is the uniformity of the original cam-thrust surface face, many favor one side more that the other. In other words (looking at the block from the front) some castings are wider on one side making the other side narrower, we can position the 2 bolts anywhere on the surface. They don't need to be "clocked" so to speak!

(Add) This a huge breakthrough for us when doing the 100% stock-appearing builds on any roller platform. In the larger picture the cost is also less, no cam button/locking plate, just the cost of the OEM plate. Cost/labor of installing the plate is about a "wash" with the time spent on setting up the end-play with the button. We can layout the plate at the same time we drill/tap for the front (3) oil galley plugs, which are also done while on the drill press

(Add) Below is a shot of the finished plate installed.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. On a side note, we didn't find it necessary to drill (deep enough) into the oil groove behind the cam brg but it would not have made any difference when the bolts are installed. Also, I could put 2 more fasteners in the plate if I felt it necessary. Would take about an extra 10 minutes simply by "turning" the jig 90* and drilling the 2 add'l holes.

Wolfplace likes this.

Last edited by GOSFAST; Jul 26th, 16 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Add photo
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 1:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Last shot, "late" cam installed, .003" (nominal) end-play.

Worked like a charm, really.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Mike (Wolfplace) thanks for the support. I'll say it once more, for us here we consider this a major accomplishment. I still need to dyno test a build or two but don't anticipate any adverse effects!

novadude and ChevelleFan70 like this.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 2:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

That's a nice idea. I assume the screws are sunk below the face of the thrust plate? I wonder if this will cause any wear issues with the timing gear thrust surface? Probably not, but once you are done, this would be about the only thing different from the OE set-up.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 2:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Could that be done on a Little M block?

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 3:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

got a pic of it without the plate bolted down?

the factory roller blocks have a machined face there to locate the cam in the proper place fore/aft so that the lobes and the cam gear line up properly, how did you verify that it's in the right place and how much can one block vary from another block?

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 16, 7:09 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

did you decide on 1/4" bolts? coarse thread?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 954 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.