Blown Head Gasket? Intake Gasket? Worn Valve Guide? 350 SBC - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 16, 1:33 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jake

Re: Blown Head Gasket? Intake Gasket? Worn Valve Guide? 350 SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
Well I was hoping.........
Me too. I've concluded there were a number of issues going on. Coolant leaking through headgasket and now valve guide issues. By replacing the head gasket and torquing everything correctly, the coolant was no longer "disappearing".

Got a set of used vortec heads (no cracks!) so I'm just getting ready to assemble the valve train and get things back running and move onto something else like the interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 16, 8:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jake

Re: Blown Head Gasket? Intake Gasket? Worn Valve Guide? 350 SBC

Update:

Interesting outcome. To recap, got a 66 chevelle with a 350/350 combo. Idled poorly, black smoke emitted from the tailpipes, coolant leak/disappearing - all within 10 minutes of startup and letting it idle for 30 minutes. Fast forward, after swapping the heads with a set of vortec (ported and polished), brand new intake manifold, gaskets, the white smoke was still occurring, although there were no longer any coolant problems (I flushed and bled the coolant system), however, the white smoke was still occurring. Vacuum & compression tests were fine, engine sounded great. After bringing it up to temperature and letting it idle for 45-50 minutes, I tuned the carb making the idle mixture a bit richer and also set ignition timing to about 12 (22 w/vacuum). Well, over the duration of this time the smoke dissipated until it was completely gone. Although the exhaust pipes were new, the muffler and exhaust manifolds were not. Curious if there was a **** ton of build-up in them causing the problem. Or a combination of factors of variables... hell, there were no bolts securing the engine motor mounts to the frame so it was shaking until I added those.

Anyway, heres a video of the first start-up after installing the heads and manifold. You can see the shake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	374026  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1250 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.