396 cast iron intake manifold specs - Chevelle Tech
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion. Advertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
396 cast iron intake manifold specs

I have searched high and low on this site for the answer and I am sure its out there somewhere. So if this question is a repeat, my apologizes.

Does anyone know the specs for the stock cast iron manifold (back and front height)? Stock 67' 396/325 with Oval ports. I would like to compare to new options.

In one of my other posts I talked about a hood clearance issue after installing a street demon (#1904) on top of the stock cast iron spread-bore intake. I had to use a 3/4 spread-square bore adapter which added 3/4" to the overall height. The street demon is about 1/2" taller than my old q-jet. So over all I added 1" to the total package. I had to go to a 2" vice 3" air filter for clearance. Don't beat me up about abandoning the q-jet. I am very pleased with the street demon.

Now I am looking for an new manifold (Mama said I could get one for Christmas). I am looking for a stock replacement which allow me to remove the adapter and give me enough hood clearance. Here are my planning factors: idle -6000 ish rpm range. Stock 67' 396/325 with Oval ports. Not a racer, just for cruising.

I have looked at Weiand 8122/23 and Edelbrock 2161. I think either one will work, but I am open to suggestion and recommendation. Just need to order before Mama changes her mind. I need one of two things. The Height specs for the stock cast iron manifold or someone's solid recommendation and experience with another manifold. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 4:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage
Re: 396 cast iron intake manifold specs

Does your stock intake manifold have "Holley" stamped on it? Mine does. Anyways, I have read the edelbrock RPM air gap was the best intake for the big blocks. If and when I do decide to upgrade I will probably go that route. I have a 67 chevelle also, with a 427.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 5:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daron Craig View Post
Does your stock intake manifold have "Holley" stamped on it? Mine does. Anyways, I have read the edelbrock RPM air gap was the best intake for the big blocks. If and when I do decide to upgrade I will probably go that route. I have a 67 chevelle also, with a 427.
Not sure. Where would it be? Although I kind doubt it. the engine is out of 67' Impala and its pretty much stock.

There are plenty of good manifolds out there. My concern is hood clearance. I did not account for the street demon being a bugger (taller) carb. Not the first time I have done some less than intelligent mods.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 6:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjp38 View Post
Not sure. Where would it be? Although I kind doubt it. the engine is out of 67' Impala and its pretty much stock.

There are plenty of good manifolds out there. My concern is hood clearance. I did not account for the street demon being a bugger (taller) carb. Not the first time I have done some less than intelligent mods.

If the factory cast iron intake has "Holley" on it, a Q-jet will not fit. The "Holley" is a high rise and has a Holley" pattern (4 equal sized throttle bore holes).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 6:32 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjp38 View Post
I have searched high and low on this site for the answer and I am sure its out there somewhere. So if this question is a repeat, my apologizes.

Does anyone know the specs for the stock cast iron manifold (back and front height)? Stock 67' 396/325 with Oval ports. I would like to compare to new options.

In one of my other posts I talked about a hood clearance issue after installing a street demon (#1904) on top of the stock cast iron spread-bore intake. I had to use a 3/4 spread-square bore adapter which added 3/4" to the overall height. The street demon is about 1/2" taller than my old q-jet. So over all I added 1" to the total package. I had to go to a 2" vice 3" air filter for clearance. Don't beat me up about abandoning the q-jet. I am very pleased with the street demon.

Now I am looking for an new manifold (Mama said I could get one for Christmas). I am looking for a stock replacement which allow me to remove the adapter and give me enough hood clearance. Here are my planning factors: idle -6000 ish rpm range. Stock 67' 396/325 with Oval ports. Not a racer, just for cruising.

I have looked at Weiand 8122/23 and Edelbrock 2161. I think either one will work, but I am open to suggestion and recommendation. Just need to order before Mama changes her mind. I need one of two things. The Height specs for the stock cast iron manifold or someone's solid recommendation and experience with another manifold. Thanks in advance.
Are you using a dropped air cleaner base? I run the higher than stock rpm air gap intake with a holley carb and I was able to (barely) clear the hood using a dropped air cleaner base. Not sure if this would help being that my car is a 68 but I thought it was worth mention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Cast iron QJet manifold...

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 8:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Cast iron Holley manifold...

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 8:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I have both of those manifolds, they are very close to identical with the obvious exception of the carb mounting flange.

Manifolds like the one in the second photo are not hard to find. They can generally be had for $50 - $75.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 8:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookpr View Post
If the factory cast iron intake has "Holley" on it, a Q-jet will not fit. The "Holley" is a high rise and has a Holley" pattern (4 equal sized throttle bore holes).
Its a q-jet designed manifold.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 8:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Roamer View Post
Are you using a dropped air cleaner base? I run the higher than stock rpm air gap intake with a holley carb and I was able to (barely) clear the hood using a dropped air cleaner base. Not sure if this would help being that my car is a 68 but I thought it was worth mention.
Thanks. I have the demon drop base. The stock base does not fit over the demon carb.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 15, 9:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

For a stock engine how can changing the intake effect a normal driving experience. Find anther outlet to throw your money on

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 7:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Thank you all for your replies. What I really need is the overall pad height for the stock cast iron manifold #3883948. If someone has the front and back height measurements that would be great. Thanks in advance.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 7:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia69 View Post
Cast iron QJet manifold...

What I really need is the overall pad height for the stock cast iron manifold #3883948. If someone has the front and back height measurements that would be great. Thanks in advance.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 15, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

That holley intake is the one I have with a holley 750 hp series.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1345 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.