Looking for local Knowledge to tune 454 6-71 Blower Referenced Carbs-2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 15, 8:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

Looking for local Knowledge to tune 454 6-71 Blower Referenced Carbs-2

Hi,
I have a 72 Chevelle that I built an engine for and now I'm in over my head. It sounds great, but it seems to run pretty hot at Idle. Plus, it doesn't want to Idle. I have posted some videos on YouTube so you can hear it. Here is a YouTube link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQpnwN_h7M

Here is a link to my project posted here on Team Chevelle with pics;

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...185&highlight=

I have tried to find someone around the Austin area that could come over and maybe give me some guidance, but I have been unsuccessful. If anyone knows someone that lives down this way that could tune my setup, I will pay. The aluminum heads have huge exhaust ports and I had only 1-3/4 primary headers even though I put 3" stainless exhaust system on it, so I ordered a set of 2" primary headers yesterday from Summit. That puts my total spent with them at over $12k.
I have blower referenced Holley carbs, MSD BTM CDI box with a HE Coil, 8.5mm wires 85551M Distributor, timed at 18deg with 16deg centrifugal advance. When I pulled the plugs, they were very dark, which I was told was rich, but it seems, I'm told, to be running lean, so I am confused. Holley Black pump 1/2" hard line from the tank, 7 psi at the regulator with a 3/8" return hard line. There is only one 1/8"npt lower manifold vacuum port that is plumbed with both powervalves, but the vacuum lines for the BTM box and the boost gage and the in-line vacuum pump are all coming off of the carb vacuum port. I originally had all the lines going to the one little 1/8" port, but Holley said it recommended just the two powervalve lines to the port.

If you guys have any thoughts, I would be very excited to listen as the car is just sitting waiting for me to feel more confident that I'm not going to melt something.

P.S; The old headers were running about 500 degrees at idle. Also, the guy I had come over that I work with said He doesnt worry about the second carb. He just adjusts one carb......

Thanks,
Brett.....
Austin, Texas Hook'em

Last edited by brettallen59; Sep 14th, 15 at 8:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1494 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.