1989 GM 305 Valve timing 4+ DEG? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 9:56 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

1989 GM 305 Valve timing 4+ DEG?

Hello,

I have a stock 1989 305 K1500 Z71 truck. 150,00 timing chain was big time streched ! Did the old left/right till the rotor moves was more than the timing tab had DEGs! So i have the new JEGS timing chain set that has the 3 key ways. I tow a small rv (2500 lbs) and could use more low end.(lot of mountains here). I hear that some OEM cams have 4 deg advance built in(for chain wear). Has anyone tried this in a stock 305? I am thinking of the problems ECM, PINGING, ?? maybe cooler plugs? I drive 55-65 and the RPMs are around 2000 so a low end power curve would work. MPG is real bad 13 mpg but if you seen this chain! slapping the cover! I am sure just the new timing set put in at 0 deg(stock marks) will bring that up and the power.(had NONE!) Any help will be great! Thank you guys! TOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 10:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

Re: 1989 GM 305 Valve timing 4+ DEG?

I'd put it at 0 if you want more power towing get a cam and degree it according to the spec card. Shouldn't need lifters as your engine should have roller lifters and new intake gaskets might already be needed anyway.

You tube video laying down final paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

Yes i am thinking the same just go stock setting. not a roller cam checked.. would be if a car i was told. I think i will be very happy with a GOOD timing chain set the power and MPG will come back. Has TBI and i looked at a spacer(move TBI injectors up) you get a little more CFM..cheap to try $17..
Thanks for the reply!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 6:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
I'd put it at 0 if you want more power towing get a cam and degree it according to the spec card. Shouldn't need lifters as your engine should have roller lifters and new intake gaskets might already be needed anyway.
the truck V8's didn't get roller cams until the 96 model year- but some blocks have all the provisions for the roller cam stuff.. one easy way to gain a ton of power and torque in the throttle body trucks is to swap in a newer vortec long block with the GM TBI intake manifold.

i'd install the chain straight up.. then once it's running i'd pull the ignition timing ahead to about 10 BTDC- make sure you find and unhook the tan wire that goes from the distributor to the ecm, or it will compensate on the fly and put the timing back where it started. just doing this will make the truck noticeably more powerful and gain some fuel economy.

throttle body spacers are known to wake these engines up, as well as the spacer that brings the injectors up out of the throttle body.. get rid of the spacer between the throttle body and air cleaner to let the air get into it better, and throw away the big baffle in the air cleaner duct between the fender and air cleaner housing- make a new duct out of cheap clothes dryer ducting to get the cool air into the air cleaner. if it has a single stud holding the air cleaner on, you could get a lid off an older truck (80's) that had the taller element and be able to use the stock stud as well as getting a bigger air filter. if you have the dual studs, you should be able to find a single stud setup on a different truck in a junkyard, which is something you'll have to do if you put the spacer under the throttle body, anyways, since the dual stud air cleaner lids are mounted with studs built into the throttle body bolts.

if you don't have emissions to worry about, get rid of the catalytic converter and put a free flowing muffler in it.

on top of all this, make sure the cap, rotor, and plug wires are good and put new plugs in it if it's been a while or you don't know when they were last changed. maybe throw a fuel filter in it while you are working on it.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

What he said. Kinda glad I didn't have to type it all out.

1972 Malibu Sport Coupe - Victory Red on Black - 350/TH350

I do all my own stunts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 8:30 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

Thank you Derrick! I am working on the timing chain set now. I will set it at stock Dot to Dot. Thanks for all the TBI info! and remember to undo the timing pigtail. That crank gear was on there! Had to use my 5 ton puller.. Boy i was ready to heat it. Any tricks to doing the chain job? Like what NOT to do?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 9:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

don't line the dots up with each other with the distributor pointed at the #1 plug... that will put the distributor 180 degrees out.. they both need to be pointing "up" when the distributor is at #1.. you can install them "dot to dot", but turn the engine over one full turn before checking where the distributor is..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

When i took it apart(chain off) i turned so the dots lined up.(crank up cam down) crank and cam has not moved. so i should be OK. Now what about that TBI air cleaner spacer? its a ring setting on the TBI unit that has a crankcase vent going to the back. so just?? set the air cleaner down on the tbi body? I am missing something..Getting Old..
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

I did a mix of oil and grease on the new chain...God its tight. How it even ran with the old chain! The Valve timing was way retarded if i remember right.The more stretched the chain gets Valve timing is more retarded. Right?? Can't wait to drive it! When i got the truck 2001 was a SC DOT K1500 z71 1989 had 97,000 and 10,000 hours of idling on the side of the road i bet! was a supervisor truck. Chain maybe was stretched when i got it? Never had any power to me. My friend had the same year truck K1500 but 350 tbi and could burn rubber! My truck could only burn loads of GAS and leak oil from the oil filter adapter like many K1500's did. (better than rear main seal!)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 14, 1:29 AM Thread Starter
Tommy

Well tried a trick(not so much) on the timing cover replacement. the bottom rubber seal was hard as a rock..Broke! Now a new oil pan gasket..What fun..getting a Fel-Pro 1 pc. Old truck and old Gaskets! got three tubes of RTV?? Maybe i can fill and make a poor man's rubber seal? Better not.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 14, 1:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

the stock oil pan gaskets were one piece silicone.. you won't need any sealer with that gasket- just make sure that all the pieces of the old one comes off and put the new one in dry.

yeah, just set the air cleaner down on the throttle body.. might have to relocate the MAP sensor, but that's not too difficult. then either figure out a way to hook the breather line to the air cleaner housing or just get a cheap breather to stick in the valve cover.
and don't expect your 305 to have as much power as a 350.. they were dogs off the showroom floor.

-Hank Hill
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

Hello again, found out one thing. Don't use the universal balancer installers from O Reilly. adapter 7/16 fine is too short! the long bolt the installer uses screws into the adapter but when you are done you remove the bolt and the adapter stays. and it's inset can't grab it with anything! had to pull the balancer again! and use pliers. China needs to start over on that tool! SBC..motors. well tried a rig! put a new(old stock 70's set) bottom rubber seal RTVed it good.. maybe can get it to my buddy and let him put the new pan gasket in. No lift and snow on the ground i just can't do it anymore. I am on SSI for my back.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

Update...All back together and NO leaks. But will replace the pan gasket got it Wednesday.

set base timing sticker said 0...Much more power and better on gas. replaced the belt. Its was fine but i did not mark it the rotation so put back going backwards. well it started making noise! (should replace anyway) I still a rattle?? not the same as the chain hitting the cover. Its the power steering pump. you can feel it in the pump and the brace to the engine. Question If that engine has a knock sensor would that trick it? think it was pinging?

Guys thank you for all your help! Tom
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 14, 3:14 PM Thread Starter
Tommy

Hello,

I have a question?? After putting in the new timing chain set the oil pressure is better? before it was 30 psi 90% of the time. Now runs 40 psi 95% of the time.(higher when cold) Its a good thing but why? was the Cam gear worn?

Also i set the Base timing(pigtail apart) at 0 like the sticker said. took cable off battery(5 mins) plugged timing pigtail back.battery cable back on. runs good but have a ping? loud starting up my mountain. very little a 60 mph. Maybe it is carbon? sounds like one Cyl.. tried one tank with Lucas gas treatment same. maybe Sea Foam now?? or sea foam down the TBI?? setting NO codes.

Have a great Christmas! Tommy in NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1817 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.