any drop in valve springs/retainers for vortec heads.. - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

any drop in valve springs/retainers for vortec heads..

..that are good for .520 lift and don't require any machine work to the guides? the cheaper the better.. engine has a hydraulic flat tappet cam that measures out close to the Edelbrock Perfomer RPM cam (.488/.510 lift) according to my dial indicator and degree wheel.

i know that Z/28 springs are the answer for old school small block heads, but is there any magical combination of readily available cheap parts for vortecs? i used the LT4 springs, retainers, and keepers that came with the HOT cam kit without machine work when i did my Nova motor back in 2000, but the heads were already machined for screw in studs so the guides might have already been cut down.

i'm trying to ween myself off of the gen 1 small block stuff so i can direct my attention towards putting the aluminum 5.3 with LS6 heads in my Camaro, but i want to see just how much the late 70's 305 heads are holding the 355 back by putting the 096 vortecs that are currently on the 305 that used to be in the Camaro on it.. want to do it cheap..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 4:00 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Re: any drop in valve springs/retainers for vortec heads..

I think you have two main options, the kit from Alex's Parts, which are supposed to be a drop-in, or a new set of beehive springs and retainers from Comp (26918, I think). The beehives cost more, but I think you're getting a better spring too. I built a Vortec 350 using a ZZ4 cam for my dad's Vette and used the beehive springs. ZZ4 cam has .510 exhaust lift, and I recall their being some headroom for more lift. YMMV.

-Dave

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.73, [email protected] -- MS3X efi / Hotchkis A-arms & Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar / UMI rears & swaybar / JGC PwrStrUpg
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 4:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Here you go..

http://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spri...d-flat-tappet/

1972 Malibu Sport Coupe - Victory Red on Black - 350/TH350

I do all my own stunts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 5:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

that might be just the thing..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 5:41 PM
Banned
Anthony

Crane use to have some too that were good for .550 lift. If you go over to nastyz28.com there was a thread called ghetto grind or something like that. It involved trimming the bottom of the retainers so you wouldnt have to cut the guides. I`ve also heard of guys using offset keepers that would give more clearance.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 8:51 PM
Tech Team
Andy

I was gonna go with this but haven't done it yet...
ls6 springs http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...9224/overview/
787-16 retainers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-787-16
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 14, 9:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'm running the trick flow "pacaloy" beehives. Made by PAC, but only around $129 (as of last year when I bought them). Using these and the comp 787-16 retainers definitely works, but maybe not as cheap as the ebay option. Still cheaper than comp beehives though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 16, 5:48 PM
Tech Team
Jorge

Excuse my newbness here...

I'm putting a 5.3 into my chevelle, and I hear some guys say you should always replace the valve springs on an old vortec, and others only replace them if they're swapping the cam.

I'm looking to build a problem free engine and avoid issues once it's in the car. Does it make sense for me to buy valve springs and retainers? What's the benefit?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 16, 5:55 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolo View Post
Excuse my newbness here...

I'm putting a 5.3 into my chevelle, and I hear some guys say you should always replace the valve springs on an old vortec, and others only replace them if they're swapping the cam.

I'm looking to build a problem free engine and avoid issues once it's in the car. Does it make sense for me to buy valve springs and retainers? What's the benefit?

not the same vortec
they are speaking of the 1996-2000(2002 in vans )
gen1 small block truck heads
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 16, 4:27 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Alex's stuff has been around forever and is well thought of. If I were doing a set of stock type Vortec heads His stuff is what I'd be buying.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 16, 1:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

wow... i posted this a year and a half ago...

to button this up: after getting bored one day, i popped a few springs off the vortec heads and measured the retainer to seal clearance. they were all between .540 and .560, which was way more than i needed and a LOT more than everyone said it would be on stock unmolested vortec heads. so i got ambitious one friday afternoon and pulled the 305 heads off the 355 in the car, swapped the springs over to the vortecs, and slammed them on with some head gaskets i had laying around.

going from the 305 heads to the vortecs was like going from a 4 cylinder to a V8: i don't know how much power i picked up, but the car will actually make power up past 6000 rpm now where it would die off at about 4500 before. it has better throttle response, better fuel economy, and is a whole lot faster. the exhaust even sounds a whole lot meaner. it's like a whole different car.. i can't wait to get the 5 speed swapped in sometime in the next month or so. that should be fun until that trans (non WC t5 out of an 85 Z28) pukes it's guts all over the road..

-Hank Hill
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 16, 2:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rob

With the .540" measurement between the top of the valve seal and the bottom of the valve retainer you would still need to subtract .030" because that is the minimum clearance required between those two points with the valve fully open. At least you took the time to measure this which is a step in the right direction. Still the widely accepted maximum lift for the stock Vortec heads is between .460" and .480" depending on who you ask so I'd suspect that you may run into problems with this combination eventually while no doubt many others have learned this lesson the hard way hopefully it doesn't come back to bite you on the butt.

65 Chevelle 2Dr. Post,Global West stage 3, Small Block, Small Journal 337cid. Howards roller cam .570/.570" lift 227/233 duration @ .050 LS112, Speed Pro forged pistons 10 to 1, Trick Flow 195,23 degree heads, Holly 750 Ultra, Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap.

My build thread>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1514 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.