#1 Plug is Fouling. - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 13, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

#1 Plug is Fouling.

I haven't done any diagnoses yet thought I would get some of you're ideas first.

Ignition is Pertronix III with the Flamethrower HC coil 60k volt. I run AC R44xls plugs gapped at .040, MSD 8mm street fire wires, and my pcv is ran to the front port on my Holley 670SA.

It is only on the number one plug. It is light fluffy black soot that's on the on the plug.

I just replaced my valve seals a couple of weeks ago, and I took my plugs and cleaned them with a steel brush on my bench grinder, cleaned out the cavity with carb cleaner, regapped them and put them back in.

Suggestions, ideas?

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 13, 4:46 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Re: #1 Plug is Fouling.

rotate plug to another cylinder to see if plug or another problem. could be intake gasket to head ,oil being drawn in. or piston rings, I would try a leak -down test also.

Last edited by mrchevyl88; Jul 31st, 13 at 4:53 PM. Reason: molre info
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 13, 5:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Valve seal replacement means you did a relash of valves, right? Solids or Hydraulic cam? Incorrect valve lash, especially borderline too-tight, can lead to intermittent dead cylinder issues.

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 13, 5:52 PM
Tech Team
Ken

As stated plus rotate plug wire to another cylinder.
Inspect cap for bad terminal on one.
If basic stuff doesn't work, compression check and or leak down.
Do you feel a miss, how soon does plug foul.
Good Luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 13, 9:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

There is no miss. It's just light fluffy black soot on the one plug.Looking at a plug chart in a chiltons, it looks like what they say is carbon deposit.

As far as lash goes, I set them running, a good strong 1/2-5/8 turn past zero lash. I will try rotating plugs, and then change wires to another and see what happens. I was wondering if maybe the heat range on the plugs were one off.

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 1:24 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Glad to see the running valve lash set. If anything, as you do it, it's right and you can tell if you have valve train problems.
Sounds like you have it under controlled.
Either you have lack of spark problem, or lack of compression, and of course plug fowling by contamination. One cylinder, tends to rule out fuel delivery, unless you have other rich cylinders. What do the other plugs look like? how do you drive the car. You could be running rich and #1 is affected more than the others. After all you do have leaner and richer cylinders.
Heat range may help, what heads do you have, but why only one cylinder affected? How old are the plugs? Install new plugs, take the car out and run it, try to find a place where when you do it, you can shut it down without stopping or idling the least amount. Remove the plugs and read them.
Check your pcv hose, if your getting excessive oil in it, you may be drafting oil to this cylinder more than others, depending on your intake, and fowling the plug. Move it to the rear or manifold vacuum tee or plug it to test. You can clean or replace it, make sure it is the correct one for your manifold vacuum.

Also cleaning plugs with a steel brush, let alone mounted on a bench grinder is not good. Your burnishing the porcelain, which may lead to cracking, but you are impregnating steel in the porcelain causing it to become conductive leading to misfiring. Same reason you do not use steel brushes when welding aluminum, you can see the contamination in the aluminum. If you have to clean plugs, nylon brush and chemical cleaner. If they don't clean easy, buy new plugs. I used to have a 1940 plug sandblaster, don't think that's done anymore.

Be looking forward to your problem being resolved. Good Luck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 1:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Frank Riley

Rocky, It certainly wouldn't hurt to try an R45 heat range plug to see if that might help. I run R45TS (or equivalent) plugs exclusively in all my cars (for nearly all city stop n go driving...)

70-454 LS5

Greater Kansas City
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 1:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rocky Hill

Well Ken I never gave a thought about the fact I may have put metal into the surface of the porcelain tip. I swapped the #1 plug after wiping it off with a cloth with #3 and see it that makes a difference. #3 looks normal. If not I will check distributor cap and change out a wire as I have another set of wires hanging in the garage.

And Frank, You have a pretty good idea what kind of driving I do, mostly stop and go in the city. I had wondered for some time if I shouldn't go to R45 plugs anyway.

We will see what my changes do.

Rocky

A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

TC Member #1530

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 1:22 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71-454 View Post
Rocky, It certainly wouldn't hurt to try an R45 heat range plug to see if that might help. I run R45TS (or equivalent) plugs exclusively in all my cars (for nearly all city stop n go driving...)
X2
Good clean running for stop and go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2371 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.