Best Oil - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 1:20 PM Thread Starter
Tom

Best Oil

I have a 1968 SS with the 375HP motor. I'm getting ready to change the oil and wanted to know what other people thought was the best possible oil to use in it. Should I go with a full synthetic, a blend, or just good old oil? And what brand does everyone think is the best? Thanks in advance for ypour help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 1:42 PM
Tech Team

Re: Best Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
I have a 1968 SS with the 375HP motor. I'm getting ready to change the oil and wanted to know what other people thought was the best possible oil to use in it. Should I go with a full synthetic, a blend, or just good old oil? And what brand does everyone think is the best? Thanks in advance for ypour help.
hello
personally Ive been using brad penn 10/40 in both of my 496's, with a wix filter, Im sure others will chim in a tell u what they use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the originial MRCHEVELLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 6:26 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

I use chevron 15-40 delo, with a wix filter. I was wondering what everybody else thinks about wix filters?

1967 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Impala Convertible
1987 Short Bed Silverado

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 6:30 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Advance Auto Parts or O'reilly Auto Parts house brand oil works fine.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 6:31 PM
Tech Team
Blake

Brad Penn 15w40 hp oil and Wix 51061 filter.

69 Chevelle SS 396
489 10:7-1
GMPP rovals
Straub Hyd roller
RPM AirGap
ProSystems 950HP
Perf Dist HEI
TH-400 Neal Chance 3400 stall
3.42 12 bolt
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 7:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjspindler View Post
I use chevron 15-40 delo, with a wix filter. I was wondering what everybody else thinks about wix filters?
Not much anymore...The last one I bought was Made in Mexico. I'm now back to Purolator. I know people like Wix, but I'd personally rather run a Made in USA filter.

I use Delo also..

"The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap."

-Ayn Rand
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 9:18 PM
Tech Team
Bobby

Valvoline Premium Conventional oil 10/30 with 1/2 bottle of Comp Cams break-in oil additive for the zinc content, motor has flat tappets FWIW
NSF PS K&N filter

My "Little Mule"

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 11:25 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
=============

Assuming your motors running a flat tappet cam heres a few oils off the top of my head SOME of which are avail locally and others online only (as noted!) that have proper zddp lvl.

These oils should do just fine with a perf FT (or roller cam) motor where the ft cams been properly broken in using proper assembly lube in cam lobes & lifters ,proper breakin oil & rec cam mfgs oil additive for breakin that have the increased zddp lvl required for proper/safe perf FT cam/lifter breakin.

But if a perf FT cam wasnt broken in properly using correct assmbly lube/oils/oil additives with elevated zddp lvl then these oils wont save that situation or make it right if theres already been too much wear/damage done to a perf FT when improperly broken in.

So with that said a FT cam (esp a hi perf cam with more agressive lobe design!) can still go bad when switching to one of the proper oils i lsited below if the FT cam was improperly broken in to begin with!

* BRAD-PENN GRADE-1 SEMI BLEND FOR FT CAMS. (AVAIL MOSTLY ONLINE)

* VALVOLINE VR1 RACE OIL IN CONVEN OR SYN.

* CASTROLS NEW EDGE SYN 5W-50 SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED FOR FT CAM MUSCLE CAR MOTORS.

* KENDAL GT TITANIUM CONVEN 20W-50

* MOBIL-1 NASCAR ENDORSED 15W-50 SYN.

* CHEVRON DELO 15W-50 CONVEN OIL IN BLUE GAL JUG (BEST SUITED FOR STOCK TO MODERATE/MILD FT PERF CAM)

* ROYAL PURPLE OR AMSOIL SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED WITH PROPER ZDDP LVL FOR FT CAMS.

* JOE GIBBS HOT ROD OIL ,THINK IT A SEMI BLEND.(AVAIL MOSTLY ONLINE)

* CAM2 SEMI BLEND.(AVAIL MOSTLY ONLINE)

* MOTOR HEAD HI " Z " CONVEN 15-40 (AVAIL MOSTLY ONLINE)

* SPECTRO GOLDEN MOTOR GUARD AVAIL IN CONVEN/SEMI BLEND/SYN ALSO IN MULT GRADES.(SEE LINK PASTED BELOW FOR DETAILS ON THE SPECTRO FT CAM OILS,MAKE SURE TO CHK ALL PAGES TO SEE ALL OILS & GRADES AVIL!)

http://www.performanceoilstore.com/products.asp?id=45

NOTE:ALSO BE AWARE SOME OIL MFGS like for example B-PENN/RP/AMSOIL ETC SUPPLY OIL WITH AND WITHOUT PROPER ZDDP LVL FOR PERF FT CAMS. SO BE AWARE YOU NEED TO RESEARCH /CHECK ON WHICH OIL IS PROPERLY FORMULATED FOR HIGH PERF FT CAMS USED IN OUR OLDER MUSCLE CAR MOTORS TO ENSURE YOUR BUYING THE WRONG OIL WITH TOO LOW A ZDDP THAT COULD OVER ENOUGH MILES LEAD TO A PREMATURE CAM,LIFTER,AND WORSE YET OVERALL ENGINE FAILURE!

Lastly,it was suggested to used oil additive with std oil with low zddp lvls,thats only good as last resort if oils not avail with proper zddp lvl for mft cams ,its better then using oil with too low zddsp by itself.

I say that because improper doseing of zddp type oil additives can upset the proper ballance of chemical additives in the oils additive pkg greatly reducing it overall efficnecy esp when it comes to the proper zddp to detergent ratio reducing ft cam protection.

So your best bets to buy oil specifically mfg with proper additive pkg contaning the higher lvl of zddp required for proper protection for perf FT cam operation.

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 11:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

As an engineer, I find it hard to believe any conventional oil is as good as a full synthetic.

They have a lower co-efficient of friction (are slippier) and will prevent parts from wearing.

The zinc additives are BS IMHO. Use a full synthetic.

Synthetics are so good the rings won't seat in a new engine. Conventional oil is used to break in the rings.

Search for postings by "540RAT". I think he's a lubrication engineer.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 11:36 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Advance Auto Parts or O'reilly Auto Parts house brand oil works fine.
=============

No disrespect intended but this oil advice isnt the best/actually incorrect stating/suggesting its ok to run any std over the counter oil sold today that will have a greatly reduced for emmissions zddp lvls in a 40 yr old mucle car motor running an old school perf FT cam requiring oils with a much higher zddp lvl.

For more info on todays oils vs proper oil to use for old school FT cam use see the tech sections on Ft cams and oil avail on Amsioil/Crane cams/Comp cams websites that better exaplins/backs up what i am talking about .

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 13, 11:51 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
As an engineer, I find it hard to believe any conventional oil is as good as a full synthetic.

They have a lower co-efficient of friction (are slippier) and will prevent parts from wearing.

The zinc additives are BS IMHO. Use a full synthetic.

Synthetics are so good the rings won't seat in a new engine. Conventional oil is used to break in the rings.

Search for postings by "540RAT". I think he's a lubrication engineer.
==========================

I CANT LET ALL THIS INCORRECT INFO ABOUT IMPROPER OIL FOR FT CAMS GET GOING YET AGAIN!

"Search for postings by "540RAT". I think he's a lubrication engineer"

THATS A PROBLEM RIGHT THERE!

THAT PERSON HAS BEEN POSTING INCORRECT INFO WHEN IT COMES TO PROPER OILS & PROPER ZDDP LVLS TO RUN WITH PERF FT CAMS.

I POSTED THE CORRECT INFO FOR THIS GUY IN HIS OIL POSTS DIRECTLY FROM THE FT CAM AND OIL MFGS AND HE DOESNT GET IT. WHY HE DOESNT GET IT OR DOESNT BELIEVE WHAT THE FT CAM MFG'S & OIL MFGS HAVE TO SAY WHEN IT COMES TO PROPER ZDDP LVL IN OIL REQUIRED FOR PROPER /SAFE FT CAM OPERATION I WILL LEAVE UP TO YOU!/LOL!!!

ANYWAY,I PASTED BELOW THE CORRECT INFO ON PROPER OILS AND ZDDP LVLS FOR FT CAMS COMMING DIRECTLY FROM MULT OIL MFGS ALONG WITH MULT FT CAM MFGS TOO WHICH ARE THE PEOPLE YOU SHOULD BE LISTENING TOO .

ANYONE THATS TELLS YOU THE PROPER ZDDP LVL ISNT IMPORTANT FOR FT CAM OPERATION DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT,END OF STORY!

PROPER ZDDP LVL ISNT EVERYTHING BUT NOE THE LESS ITS STILL AN IMPORTANT
PART OF AN OILS ADDITIVE PKG WHEN IT COMES TO PROPER FT CAM PROTECTION.

THATS BACKED UP BY ALL THE STATEMNTS PASTED BELOW DIRECTLY FROM THE CAM & OIL MFGS ON THE SUBJECT FOR YOU TO READ AND LEARN FROM SO IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL KNOW WHAT THE CORRECT OIL ADVICE IS FOR FT CAMS IS FROM THE PEOPLE IN THE BIZ THAT MFG FT CAMS AND OIL FOR FT CAMS.

ALL THE FT CAM MFGS & OIL MFGS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

SO YOUR INCORRECT & WHOS BSING NOW WHEN YOU SAY ITS ALL BS WHEN IT COMES TO PROPER ZDDP LVL OR NEEDING ZDDP ADDITIVES FOR FT CAMS!

GUESS YOUR GOING TO TELL US THAT ALL THE CAM & OIL MFGS DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN IT COMES TO PROPER OILS AND PROPER ZDDP LVL TO RUN WITH OLD SCHOOL FT CAM APPS.

YOUR ALSO MISINFOMED WHEN IT COMES TO SYN OIL & FT CAMS.

MOST FT CAM MFG WONT WARRANTEE PERF FT CAM BROKEN IN ON SYN OIL,THEY REC NOT BRREAKIN THIER FT CAMS WITH SYN OIL BECAUSE SYN OILS ABILITY TO REDUCE FRICTION /BEING SLICKER CAN IMPEAD/SLOW DOWN PROPER FT LIFTER ROTATION ON CAN LOBE CAUSING IMPROPER BREAKIN AND CAM/LIFTER FAILURE.

THE CAM MFG'S REC BREAKIN FT CAM ON STD DINO THEN DEPEDNING ON CAM MFG THEY REC SWAP FROM SYD DINO TO SYN 1K-3K MILES POST BREAKIN .

SO PLEASE STOP POSTING INCORRECT INFO ON PROPER OIL TO RUN FOR FT CAM APPS BECAUSE YOU COULD TRASH SOMEONES MOTOR DOWN ROAD SOME DAY !!!

READ BELOW INFO DIRECTLY FROM AMSOIL/CRANE/COMP/MOBIL ETC THAT STATES PROPER ZDDP LVL IN OIL IS REQUIRED FOR SAFE FT CAM OPERATION.

AND THESE FT CAM MFGS & OIL MFGS COMPANIES KNOW BEST WHATS THE RIGHT THING TO DO WHEN IT COMES PROPER OIL TO RUN WITH A FT CAM APP VS SOME PEOPLE MON THIS SITE.

ANYONE THAT ARGUES WITH WHAT THESE FT CAM & OIL MFGS ARE STATING WHEN IT COMES TO THE PROPER OIL & ZDDP LVL TO RUN WITH A STOCK TO PERF FT CAM IS AN UNINFORMED FOOL WHEN THEY SAY THE LOW ZDDP LVL IN TODAYS OIL ISNT AN ISSUE
WITH AN OLD SCHOOL FT CAM MOTOR!

I also have over 40yrs wrenching muscle car motors inc successfully installing & breaking in many stock & aftermarket perf ft cams over the yrs so i have plenty of 1st hand exp when it comes to installing ft cams and proper oils etc to run with them too.

I have also been reaserching/testing oils since 2005/8yrs when it comes to the old school FT cam & required zddp lvl's in todays oils along with also contacting & speaking directly to oil engineers and oil chemists at mult oils mfgs,cam mfg and oil additive mfgs like ZDDPlus & camshiled aseir opinions/test data & results were on required zddp lvls for ft cam apps esp perf apps all of which i have posted here many times over the past 8 yrs i have been at it.

ALSO HAVE 30+YRS IN SEMICONDUCTOR INDUSTRY INCLUDING MANY YRS IN DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERING DEALING WITH CHEMICALS/CHEMCIAL TESTING AND EQUIPEMENT USED IN THAT TESTING TOO SO HAVE A GOOD BACK GROUND BACKING ME UP.

I REC ZDDP LVLS OF APPROX 1400-1500PPM WHICH SHOULD SATISFY JUST ABOUT ANY FT APP YOUR RUNING ON THE STREET ,BUT UP TO 1800PPM ZDDP IS SAFE FOR STREET USE AND NEEDED FOR REAT HOT FT CAM WITH AGRESSIVE LOBE PROFILE DESIGN AND VERY HIGH SPRING RATES.

ROLLER CAMS CAN ALSO BENIFIT FROM OILS MFG'D WITH HIGHER ZDDP LVLS FOR FT APPS.

SCOTT
====================================

From Amsoil:

Provide facts outlining lubrication requirements of flat tappet
camshaft engines and the importance of higher levels of zinc
and phosphorus.

ISSUES:
Flat tappet camshafts undego extreme pressure and loads,
thus requiring an engine oil that is fortified with anti-wear
additives (ZDDP) to provide premium protection. The severity of
higher spring pressure in racing engines also creates the need
for additional wear protection.

To preserve catalytic converter life, zinc/phosphorus levels in
motor oil have been reduced. Concerns have risen that oils
containing lower levels of zinc/phosphorus could provide
insufficient protection in high-pressure areas of flat tappets
and camshaft lobes found in many older and high performance
engines.

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION:
The most commonly used anti-wear additive in motor oils is
zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP). ZDDP contains both
zinc and phosphorus components working together to provide
anti-wear protection, and is most important during cam
“break-in” procedures. Proper break-in lubes should be used
during the break-in phase for all new or rebuilt engines with
flat tappets. These lubricants provide the extra protection
required to reduce wear at the point of contact during break-in
and help the flat tappet face properly mate with the cam lobe.
Once the break-in phase is completed.

AMSOIL motor oils which are formulated with high levels of zinc and phosphorus,
will provide premium protection to flat tappet cams.

The American Petroleum Institute (API) and International
Lubricants Standards Approval Committee (ILSAC) have
mandated the reduction of phosphorus to extend catalytic converter
life.

However, reducing the level of ZDDP can compromise
protection to engine components, most notably in flat
tappet camshafts.Current API SM and ILSAC GF-4 specifications
for gasoline engines have maximum and minimum
phosphorus levels of 800 ppm and 600 ppm .

All engines (especially flat tappet) benefit from oils with superior film strength and anti-wear (ZDDP) properties. The flat tappet/camshaft lobe interface is the one
area in an engine that has extreme contact load. Since this load
increases significantly (more when non-stock,high-pressure valve
springs are employed) the use of properly formulated motor
oils is extremely important to reduce wear and extend flat tappet/
camshaft life.(oil with elevated zddp >800ppm is not for use with cat converters)

AMSOIL recommends motor oils containing high levels of zinc/phosphorus for superior protection especially for
flat tappet cam applications.
================================================== ================

CRANE CAMS:

CRANE FLAT TAPPET CAMSHAFT RECOMMENDED BREAK-IN PROCEDURE
Due to the EPA’s mandate for zinc removal from most motor oils, proper flat tappet camshaft break-in procedure is more critical than ever before. This is true for both hydraulic and mechanical flat tappet Camshafts. As a point of interest, the most critical time in the life of a flat tappet camshaft is the first 20 minutes of “break-in” during which the bottoms of the tappets “mate-in” with the cam lobes.
There are some oils with additive packages that are better for camshaft “break-in”. These include, but are not limited to: (Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs racing) or a “race only” petroleum- based oil and include Crane Cams Part # 99003-1 Super Lube” additive. Do not use API rated “SL” or “SM” oil.

CAUTION: We do not recommend the use of synthetic oils for “break-in”. Prior to installing the camshaft and lifters, it is recommended that the crankcase be drained and filled with new, clean oil, as listed above. The oil filter should also be changed at this time. Proper flat tappet camshaft break-in starts with the cam installation and includes the following steps:

================================================== ================

Comp Cams:

Subject: Flat Tappet Camshaft Failures (Hydraulic & Solid/Mechanical)
Recent changes in oil and engine technology are likely the cause of premature camshaft
failure; here’s how you can protect your engine!

Premature flat tappet camshaft failure has been on the rise recently and not just with one brand or type of camshaft. In almost every case, the hardness or taper of the cam lobe is suspected, yet most of the time that is not the problem. This growing trend is due to factors that are completely unrelated to camshaft manufacture or quality control. Changes in today’s oil products and “advancements” in internal engine configurations have contributed to a harsher environment for the camshaft and a potential for failure during break-in.

Engine Oil Selection
Another major factor in the increase of flat tappet camshaft failure is your favorite brand of
engine oil. Simply put, today’s engine oil is just not the same as it used to be, thanks to ever tightening environmental regulations. The EPA has done a great job in reducing emissions and the effects of some of the ingredients found in traditional oils; however these changes in the oil have only made life tougher on your flat tappet camshaft. The lubricity of the oil and specifically the reduction of important anti-wear additives such as zinc and phosphorus, which help break-in and overall camshaft life, have been drastically reduced. In terms of oil selection, we recommend oil with the proper level of “ZDDP”, Zinc Dialkyl Dithiosphosphate additive fortification.

Recent market trends and misinformation have led to a new and adverse side effect known as “Overloading on ZDDP”. When overloading on ZDDP, the additive can actually cause blocking of other important additives, such as friction modifiers or detergent agents. It is imperative that the ZDDP level is carefully specified and blended to correct concentrations.

Engine Oils, Supplements, & Additives
Making certain that the camshaft and lifters are properly lubricated upon installation will
guarantee that they are protected during the critical start-up of your newly-built engine. COMP Cams® offers the right product for this job (COMP Cams® Part #153), and it is available in several different size containers for engine builder convenience. COMP Cams® also has a line of Break-In Oils (COMP Cams® Part #1590 [10w30] and #1595 [20w50]) which have a proprietary formula that includes the proper amount of critical additives, including ZDDP (Zinc& Phosphorus), Molybdenum, detergents and high grade base oil to give you the most optimumoil for the break-in and long-term running of all your purposefully chosen performance enginecomponents. If you have a preferred oil with which you feel comfortable, we strongly recommend the use of COMP Cams® Break-In Oil Additive (COMP Cams® Part #159) duringbreak-in.

COMP Cams®
3406 Democrat Rd. * Memphis, TN 38118
Phone: 1-800-999-0853 * Fax: (901) 366-1807
www.compcams.com
Part #255

Revised 1/29/10
subsequent testing has proven the durability benefits of its long term use. This proprietary blend of anti-wear ZDDP fortification, anti-fiction Molybdenum, and extreme pressure additives promotes proper break-in and protects against premature cam and lifter failure by replacing some of the beneficial ingredients that the oil companies have been forced to remove from off-theshelf oil. These specialized COMP Cams® lubricants are the best “insurance policy” you can buy, and are the first step to avoiding durability problems with your new flat tappet camshaft.
================================================== =====

MOBIL-1'S ANSWER TO OLD SCHOOL FT CAM'D MOTOR OIL REQUIREMENTS FROM THIER WEBSITE.

Heres an example from Mobil oil website question section on what they rec for a high perf ft cam app like your avg old school sbc with a high perf ft cam.

BTW,the 15w-50 nascar endorsed syn oil the Mobil-1 tech is reffering to below has a decent 1300ppm zddp per mobil-1 website and also note they/Mobil-1 didnt rec a much thinner 5-30 or 10-30 grade SN rated oil with a much lower zddp lvl for the hi perf FT cam app in question i cut & pasted from the Mobil-1 website which is because its not best choice in Mobil-1's opinon for that app.

So read the info i patsed below and then make you own choice from there weather to use low zddp lvl SN rated oils in your hi perf ft cam apps as long as said oil with good zddp lvl also has a good quality base stock oil & additive pkg to back up the proper zddp lvl to work together collectively as a strong team to better protect a hi perf FT cam'd motor.

Scott

Ask Mobil

Oil for a Modified 70’s Camaro

Ask Your Stickiest Question. . . Or ask us something you’ve always wanted to know about using our products. We’ll sort through all the submissions and present the best questions to our automotive experts. We'll share the questions and their answers here.

Question:

Oil for a Modified 70’s Camaro
Everyone seems to have an opinion and your chart does not go back to 1970. I just bought a 1970 Camaro highly modified 400 Chevy small block. The car does not get driven much - only to car shows and the drag strip a couple times a year. What is the best oil to use because these motors tend to have heat issues. It has a " flat tappet cam ". I want max protection and have used your products for years but not synthetics. Thanks for info.
-- Dennis Boyd, Lexington, KY

Answer:
For your Camaro, we would recommend Mobil 1™ 15W-50 synthetic motor oil. Mobil 1 15W-50 is a higher viscosity synthetic oil that delivers a thick oil film for protection of high performance engines. Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for older valve trains like the highly loaded flat tappets used in your Camaro. These types of engines benefit from the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP) in that oil normally not required in newer generation vehicles.
==================================================

Brad Penn:

The Brad Penn® Penn Grade 1® High Performance Oils contain the higher level of anti-wear (ZDDP – zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper high performance engine protection. The Penn-Grade 1® oils “typical” 1,500 ppm Zinc (Zn) and 1340-1400 ppm Phosphorus (P) content provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts, such as piston/cylinder walls, roller cams under heavy valve spring pressure and especially those that employ a solid “flat tappet” type system. As important as the chemistry is to the Penn-Grade 1® oils, it is by no means the whole story. The unique base oil cut used to refine the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils maintain a tremendous affinity to metal surfaces. This naturally occurring “metal wetting” characteristic enables the oil to stay put on your highly stressed engines and makes the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oil resist slinging for an extended period of time. Also, rest assured in knowing that the Penn-Grade 1® High Performance Oils are 100% Made in the USA.

SCOTT

Last edited by SWHEATON; Mar 18th, 13 at 12:51 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 13, 1:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Does Mobil 1 Contain the Additive for Flat Tappet Cams?
I build a few engines a year as I do muscle car repairs and I have been having a lot of camshaft failures. I just read that it is because the oil no longer has the additive for flat tappet cams. Can I use Mobil 1 to break in fresh rebuilt engines of '60s and '70s tech? Is it too slippery for new ring break-in? Will it give protection on new cam and lifters?
-- Frederick Neidlinger, Dover/Dover AFB, DE

Answer:
For older, flat tappet engines where wear may be more of a concern, we offer a number of synthetic oils which are higher in phosphorus than API SN/ILSAC GF-5 oils. These include Mobil 1 15W-50 (1,200 ppm), Mobil 1 0W-40 (1,000 ppm) and Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 (900 ppm). For all newer engines and flat tappet engines in normal service, API SN/ISLAC GF-5 oils are preferred for better fuel economy and for the protection of catalytic systems with lower phosphorous (800 ppm).

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...t_Engines.aspx

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 13, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

What did the machine shop/previous owner use. Beth, you would be wrong about synthetic oil not letting the rings break in by using it as the first fill, todays engine parts are not like the parts used in the 60's/70's and my machinist said that the rings are broken in by the time the engine is assembled. I trust him without exception.

OP, did you read the GM posting here a short while back about oil?

I use NAPA/Wix filters in everything we own, no problems at all.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 13, 11:56 AM
z27
Tech Team
alex

Thank you Scott ! I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this . This is what i have said all along . If the newer oil formulations are trully back wards compatible for older F/T cams then why don,t the oil companies come right out and state that they are.That being said, then why do the cam companies still say you need the zddp with thier F/T cams . Just last week i posted of the coversations i had with Isky and Engle on F/T cams oil and zddp funny thing ,last Friday Lunati said the same thing you need the zddp with thier F/T cams .For now i will continue past practice as it has worked without failure.Isn,t it just awful as to what the oil issue has turned into because of beauraucracy and progress. Give me back the days when you could screw on a Purolator filter and a 5qt round steel can of Gulfpride Single G 10w30 @65cents a qt and be done with it and no problems . It was a no brainer . Alex
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 13, 12:55 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z27 View Post
Thank you Scott ! I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this . This is what i have said all along . If the newer oil formulations are trully back wards compatible for older F/T cams then why don,t the oil companies come right out and state that they are.That being said, then why do the cam companies still say you need the zddp with thier F/T cams . Just last week i posted of the coversations i had with Isky and Engle on F/T cams oil and zddp funny thing ,last Friday Lunati said the same thing you need the zddp with thier F/T cams .For now i will continue past practice as it has worked without failure.Isn,t it just awful as to what the oil issue has turned into because of beauraucracy and progress. Give me back the days when you could screw on a Purolator filter and a 5qt round steel can of Gulfpride Single G 10w30 @65cents a qt and be done with it and no problems . It was a no brainer . Alex
==========

Hi Alex,NP!

Your correct and i was trying to get this to all the guys here at least 1-1.5 yrs before any of the ft cam mfgs got on board with it posting info on it in thier websites to avoid warrantte issues,they werer very slow to get on board with it.

They actually had some worng info posted in thier 1st postings on zddp issues that they later corrected,esp when it came to zddp lvls in diesel oil and also the effectiveness of the red type thin assembly lube that comes with a certain mfgs ft cams.

Moving on, info i reviewed a while back showed they did in fact do some testing of newer gen oils in a FT cam app which i had posted here in T/C .

But the problem is i am under the impression the testing was done on a stock ft cam'd motor with a very mild ft cam with mild spring rates and mild lobe design that worked out ok with todays oil durring thier dyno test (Dont know length of test or miles it would =).

But i could find any testing done with todays oils on aftermarket perf FT cam apps running high spring rates with much more agressive lobe design which is the issue when running todays oil not mfg with proper additive pkg for old school perf ft cam apps.

Now in our case where many of us are running old school sbc/bbc motors with aftermarket ft cam that have much higher spring rates with with much more agressive lobe design then the dyno mule they used for testing is where todays oils get into trouble in an old school perf FT cam app.

The aftermarket cams with higher spring rates and more aggressive lobe design create much more stress/heat on lifter to lobe interface/contact area then the stock dyno mule they used to test todays oils for backword compatibility for old school FT cam apps.

Thats why theres conflicting opinons/information about newer gen oils being ok for old school ft cam apps.

So stick to oils mfg specifically for Ft cam apps that has the proper additive pkg with elevated zddp lvl to do the job protecting a properly broken in FT cam post breakin.

But its not all about the zddp lvl by itself,you have to also have a decent base stock oil with a quality additive pkg tooQ

Its both a good base oil along with a quality additive pkg containing proper zddp pkg & zddp lvl that properly protects an aftermarket perf ft cam with higher spring rates and more agressive lobe design.

Scott

SCOTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2405 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.