$10k engine build opinions? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

$10k engine build opinions?

I have about $12k to drop into my '68 Chevelle SS 396, 4sp M22 trans, Ford 9" rear end, no A/C or PS. It's mainly for street driving and the strip ~6x/yr. I'd like to keep the build closer to $10k in case of unforseen expenses. I think the trans/rear end should hold up to most of the power, but if not, that will have to come out of the budget.

Requirements: turbo/supercharged, 93 octane, enough vacuum to run disc brakes, and has the possibility of reaching 13mpg highway and cruise 6hrs at a time for a cross-crountry trip (even if temporarily reducing boost is necessary), must fit under the stock '68 SS hood. I'd like to avoid tampering with the frame for fitment. Carb or EFI.

I was originally thinking blown 496ci, similar to this carcraft 925hp 454 article, but heard a lot about oil burning issues with the GMPP 454. I'd also like it to fit under the hood. Not sure I should have 925hp for mostly street use, but I suppose I wouldn't turn it down

How would everyone go about doing it? What reasonable power/drag times could I expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 1:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: $10k engine build opinions?

We have a few reputable engine builders here in TC. You are going to have fun. Each of the builders have a cult like following. You are going to get a plethora of opinion's. Give it a few day's, do your homework and you will go away happy. Welcome to TC.

'66 SS Chevelle

bored small big block
performance to be determined.
91 octane special.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 3:10 PM
Tech Team
Brandon

If you're not 100% set on an old school big block, an LS with a small turbo or two may be a good option. The reliability is definitely there, as well as decent economy because of the EFI. The power potential is also huge, just depends on how crazy you want to get

68 Chevelle SS
4 speed
427, rectangular port GM heads, solid roller
3800+lbs
11.61 @ 121mph, muncie m20, e.t streets

Now with a new 427, G-force 4 speed, shooting for 10.90s..

Youtube-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 5:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcel

Good luck sounds like fun!

You may want to hold some of that budget for a transmission. Not sure a M22 will hold the torque that goes with a 900+ hp engine, plus a modern overdrive will help you reach or exceed your mile per gallon goals.

67 Malibu Coupe SR AFR 325 heads on a 496 with a 8-71, TH400, Fab 9, True Trac, Umi RCA's

69 Camaro LS3/525, T-56 Magnum, DSE Hydroformed & Quadralink, Wilwood Aero6 under the knife soon.

56 Chevy Pro Street, Tube Chassis, 509, AFR 325 Heads, Comp 322-CR-10, 400 w/brake, crazy coffee getter.

13 Road Glide Custom
11 BMW 535i x-drive
01 F250 7.3
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 5:44 PM
Tech Team
Doyle

x2 on the transmission. Will the Ford 9" hold up, meaning the axles, posi, etc. Are you going to run slicks on this set-up? I have to tell you, if you are looking at a supercharger or turbo, your $12,000 will run out real fast. I have had two built supercharger engines, one was $15,000 and the other was closer to $20,000. You cannot cut corners when you boost an engine...If you want it to last, you have to do it right the first time, or don't do it at all, (this will save you money in the long run). Just my 02 cents, you will want to over kill on the fuel system, oil cooing system and radiator/coolant system. Don't do it if you are not going to forge the internals-ARP bolts and head studs, Cometic head gaskets, etc. Heat is your enemy when you boost an engine and by all means-Use an intercooler so you can run some descent boost. And last but not least, spend the money it get it dialed in on a dyno....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 5:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

If you build it yourself, a 496 with aluminum heads can be done for $5000.

I would definitely go with an OD trans and that can set you back at least $3000.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcel

FYI my 496 with the 8-71 has about 14k into it, of course it would not fit under your hood . Twin turbos would be more power, but more expensive.

67 Malibu Coupe SR AFR 325 heads on a 496 with a 8-71, TH400, Fab 9, True Trac, Umi RCA's

69 Camaro LS3/525, T-56 Magnum, DSE Hydroformed & Quadralink, Wilwood Aero6 under the knife soon.

56 Chevy Pro Street, Tube Chassis, 509, AFR 325 Heads, Comp 322-CR-10, 400 w/brake, crazy coffee getter.

13 Road Glide Custom
11 BMW 535i x-drive
01 F250 7.3
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 12:55 AM
Banned
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveonnitro View Post
I have about $12k to drop into my '68 Chevelle SS 396, 4sp M22 trans, Ford 9" rear end, no A/C or PS. It's mainly for street driving and the strip ~6x/yr. I'd like to keep the build closer to $10k in case of unforseen expenses. I think the trans/rear end should hold up to most of the power, but if not, that will have to come out of the budget.

Requirements: turbo/supercharged, 93 octane, enough vacuum to run disc brakes, and has the possibility of reaching 13mpg highway and cruise 6hrs at a time for a cross-crountry trip (even if temporarily reducing boost is necessary), must fit under the stock '68 SS hood. I'd like to avoid tampering with the frame for fitment. Carb or EFI.

I was originally thinking blown 496ci, similar to this carcraft 925hp 454 article, but heard a lot about oil burning issues with the GMPP 454. I'd also like it to fit under the hood. Not sure I should have 925hp for mostly street use, but I suppose I wouldn't turn it down

How would everyone go about doing it? What reasonable power/drag times could I expect?

Without knowing your history with performance cars I would say for a mostly street car, your better off contacting vortecpro and getting one of his crate engines. They make more power than you`ll need in a street car and are roughly half of your budget depending on which one you get. I think his base 468 makes 510hp and is $5200 or so.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 2:39 PM
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschevellefan View Post
Without knowing your history with performance cars I would say for a mostly street car, your better off contacting vortecpro and getting one of his crate engines. They make more power than you`ll need in a street car and are roughly half of your budget depending on which one you get. I think his base 468 makes 510hp and is $5200 or so.
^^^ Vortecpro is making crazy power that is well with in your budget and these engines have a proven track record. If building the engine is part of the fun then then look at some of the other local builders here on TC for some direction. Either way you go you will have a snappy little power plant with that budget!

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 4:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

junkyard 6.0 with a pair of turbos.. should last a good long time as long as you keep the boost to manageable levels.. when the engine lets go, get another long block and swap it in over a weekend.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

With 10 Grand to spend. I would NOT even consider any B.B. engine, WHY ?? I have a one owner trailer queen 1970 LS-5/M-22 and a 1970 SS Sta. Wgn. (driver) with a 468. I also have a 2011- 1/2 Ton 4WD silverado with a ( 100% Stock ) 6.2 engine with a 6 speed paddle shift auto.
This engine shifts at 5800 in every gear. Its quiet, gets good milage, 20-21 MPG in a 5500 Lb. 4WD P/U. ( H.P. in a 3/4 is 403--H.P. in a 1/2 Ton is 413. ) My engine shuts down at 100 MPH. After warrenty is up, Then it will go faster.
For me ,,,,, A stock 6.2 with a 6 speed auto in a Chevelle, Would be the best of both worlds. It sounds like your Grandmothers 6 cyl. And will kick ALL the big dogs AZZ to the curb!
Also, You have a lot of options to improve the performance of an already FAST " LS-6.2 " engine. To keep the look of a 70s High Performance Car. YES a big block is Super KOOL.
BUT, If you want speed and Milage and Keep the hood shut. The ONLY answer is The new LS engine design. Or drive a new Camaro with a 6.2 and then YOU decide what is best for you.
Bob
I never thought I would say anything bad about a Big Block Chevy or a HEMI. Remember this " Your time is up " Small block Chevy Era., 348s, 409s, 396s, 454s, -- Time Marches on "
P.S. Ernies-- 69 Chevelle, Black Sta. Wgn. LS powered and with a huffer, Was the last man standing at the drags in Nashville at Chevelabration and its his daily driver ! Ernie put a lot of B.B. on the trailer.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 5:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
With 10 Grand to spend. I would NOT even consider any B.B. engine, WHY ?? I have a one owner trailer queen 1970 LS-5/M-22 and a 1970 SS Sta. Wgn. (driver) with a 468. I also have a 2011- 1/2 Ton 4WD silverado with a ( 100% Stock ) 6.2 engine with a 6 speed paddle shift auto.
This engine shifts at 5800 in every gear. Its quiet, gets good milage, 20-21 MPG in a 5500 Lb. 4WD P/U. ( H.P. in a 3/4 is 403--H.P. in a 1/2 Ton is 413. ) My engine shuts down at 100 MPH. After warrenty is up, Then it will go faster.
For me ,,,,, A stock 6.2 with a 6 speed auto in a Chevelle, Would be the best of both worlds. It sounds like your Grandmothers 6 cyl. And will kick ALL the big dogs AZZ to the curb!
Also, You have a lot of options to improve the performance of an already FAST " LS-6.2 " engine. To keep the look of a 70s High Performance Car. YES a big block is Super KOOL.
BUT, If you want speed and Milage and Keep the hood shut. The ONLY answer is The new LS engine design. Or drive a new Camaro with a 6.2 and then YOU decide what is best for you.
Bob
I never thought I would say anything bad about a Big Block Chevy or a HEMI. Remember this " Your time is up " Small block Chevy Era., 348s, 409s, 396s, 454s, -- Time Marches on "
P.S. Ernies-- 69 Chevelle, Black Sta. Wgn. LS powered and with a huffer, Was the last man standing at the drags in Nashville at Chevelabration and its his daily driver ! Ernie put a lot of B.B. on the trailer.
Ho Hum

'66 SS Chevelle

bored small big block
performance to be determined.
91 octane special.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 6:10 PM
Tech Team
Anthony

Honestly I think you have two ways of doing this.

1. Get in touch with Mark over at Vortecpro and have him build you a nasty aluminum headed 496 and you will not have a problem getting close or exceeding 600 horsepower. That will be plenty of power IMO, will give you vacuum for your power brakes, and with an overdrive tranny can make your mileage goals. It will not cost you $10,000 so you will have plenty to get a good overdrive transmission. AND the huge added plus is just looking plain BAD*** under the hood!

2. Go with a 6.2 LS build which will make crazy power with some simple upgrades. Not only will it make great power out of the box and even more with some upgrades but will easily make your mileage goals. We are talking about a motor that makes 400+ horsepower and gets 24 miles to the gallon in a much heavier new Camaro. And once again could leave some room on the table for a new overdrive transmission.

To be perfectly honest with you I would not go with supercharging or turbocharging unless you want to do it right, and like one other person has already said that takes alot of cash. Just my two cents but I would go with the big block from Vortecpro and use the remaining cash to buy an overdrive transmission and still have plenty of cash left over for a gas fund because I would not be able to keep my right foot out of it!

1972 Chevelle
383 stroker
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 12, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jason

Im in the early planning stages of a procharged 489 and have been putting a parts list together. Planning on using a factory 2 bolt block and basing it off this build:

http://www.nmcadigital.com/cat/fsc/i...2/03/#?page=78

I'm on the fence on a few options but so far, just parts and no machine work I've calculated around $6000 and that's just for the long block.

Did I say no machine work nor procharger in that price??

Anyway, that build is a pretty stout setup with AFR's. Overkill, yes. But something I plan on doing anyway.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 12, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

I'm pretty dead-set on going the turbo/supercharged route. Although supercharging would be a bit easier, I'd actually prefer turbocharged, as my normal job (mech engineer) involves turbos with diesel trucks. I'm just a little more familiar with them. That's not to say a centrifugal supercharger isn't on my short list.

The LS swap is also a close consideration. How much of a hassle is it to mount the LS? I feel like most build threads that involve swapping the LS are typically abandoned eventually for a bbc. Again, I don't want to cut into the frame -- so a conversion kit that works would be necessary.

I won't build the long block. I'd like to finish the car by mid-summer and building a motor from scratch for the first time would probably push things back quite a bit. I've done partial rebuilds on motors, but that's not the same as a full build, and those tools are long gone.

Will a centrifugal blower of some type + bbc fit under a stock '68 SS hood? Is my best option going with the LS motor? I'll try to keep the setup under ~$9k so I have $3k to buy an OD transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2627 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.