>0.450 lift with stock heads - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 8:19 PM Thread Starter
Mike Mowl

>0.450 lift with stock heads

I was in a recent bench racing session and got the advice not to go over 0.450 lift with stock heads when selecting a cam. I have heard several different warnings about over camming an otherwise mild engine but never this one.

My question is why would the heads matter if the valve springs were strong enough? After market heads have only come into reach for the average shade tree builder in the last few years. Stock castings were what was used for years whether you used a mild or aggresive cam.

Did I misunderstand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 8:41 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
Re: >0.450 lift with stock heads

I would guess the valve lift limitation was referring specifically to the factory valve train (springs) on a stock head.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Also guide to retainer clearance.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 11, 9:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I ran a Crane Fireball years ago in a totally stock 350 except for headers. Specs where 216 @.050 .454 lift 110 LSA
I have also used the [email protected] .480 in a stock 350 that had a carb,intake and headers.
No issues with either.
Keep in mind the factory L46/L82 camshaft was a dual pattern and had .450/.460 lift

so...go back and kick some bench racing ass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 11, 12:19 PM
Banned
Anthony

Years ago I put a Isky 280 mega with .485 lift in a stock 327 with stock power pak heads and had no issues. Wasn`t the smartest thing but it worked. The only time I`ve heard the .450 lift rule as when dealing with vortec heads. You can always just drop on some Z28 springs and be done. They are good to around .500-.510 lift depending on who you talk to.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 11, 6:52 PM
Senior Tech Team

In the mid `60's all small blocks got the same springs, including those equipped with the .480 lift 30/30 cam. IMO, .480 was near the limit for the stock springs. Those same springs may not handle that much lift after lots of miles and years. Personally, I would go ahead and get the cam I wanted along with the recommended springs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 11, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Frank Riley

Study up on "Valve Spring Bind" (also need about .030" clearance for your valve stem seal.)

70-454 LS5

Greater Kansas City
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 11, 7:44 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Last year I put a l79 type cam in a smogger 350, 224/224 447/447.
It would only rev to 5000 rpm. Then I put some z28 type springs in and it will go to almost 6000rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3305 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.