"67" BBC 427 oil pressure questions - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 10, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Seth

Re: "67" BBC 427 oil pressure questions

Also, since my oil pressure is running at a bare minimum and instead of using a higher polimer oil, I'd feel safer changing out the oil pump. can this be done without pulling the engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 10, 12:43 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

no

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 10, 1:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Im not poking at you but trying to help. Try using the Search function of this site. These questions you are asking have already been discussed several times over in the past and you will find some good answers. Hope this helps.

BTW, if it were mine I would change to a AC Delco PF1218 filter with shell rotella 15w-40 oil and see what you have then. No need to change the pump, your pressure is fine. Chance are you could change the pump and nothing would change. Just because one guy has 30 psi at idle doesnt mean you are going to have the same. The tolerances inside the engine will dictate your oil pressure.

It is not advised to use Synthetic oil for engine break in.

Last edited by 317millhand; Oct 14th, 10 at 1:34 AM.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 10, 6:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
>>> "60-65 psi cruise speed."

>>> "high volume pump,not a high pressure pump"

what's wrong with this picture? normal oil pressure limit before bypass dumps is around 40-45. So your pressure is 60-65 but you don't have high pressure pump? how does that work? And where did you find a HV pump that wasn't also a HP pump?
its not the highest volume/pressure pump,guess it would be a high-er pressure/volume pump from stock,bout 10% more and my cruise speed is bout 4000 rpm,but lets say at 2500 rpm-
oil pressure is around 40-45 psi--

rth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 10:47 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 317millhand View Post
It would be on the low side for sure but as long as you pressure is increasing with higher rpm's you are OK. Hold your trottle to 1000 rpms and see what you have. You can use a thicker oil to get a little more pressure as well. Try the Rotella 15w40 diesel oil with a Delco filter. Its a little thicker, cheaper, and has enough zinc and prosphorus for our old school motors.
==================================================

FYI,all you die hard rotella guys need to get with the program and read the oil info that's been posted here since 1/2007/almost 4 yrs ago all over team chevelle that as of that date rotella's newer CJ rated 15w-40 diesel oil didn't have enough zddp to safely protect anything but very mild stock type ft cam/lifters anymore like you would use in a stock 283/307/or low perf smog 350 & even thats pushing it IMHO.

But shell's older CI rated 15w-40 Rotella diesel oil that was mfg'd prior to 1/2007 did in fact have enough zddp to properly protect aftermarket hi perf ft cams .

But chevrons delo 15w-40 diesel oil in the newer post 1/2007 CJ rating does in fact still have enough zddp at 1300ppm to safely protect stock to moderate lvl ft perf cam.

As for the 10w-30 syn oil he's running,if he's running a ft perf cam & its std over the counter run of the mill syn pass car 10w-30 oil then thats not good at all which will likely lead to premature ft/lifter cam failure because it doesnt have enough zddp either like most any over the counter oils sold today with exception of a few like the delo oil,valvolines VR1 race oil also avail locally with 1400ppm zddp,mobil 1's Nascar endorsed hi perf race 15w-50 syn oil with 1300ppm zddp,and a few other full syn hi perf oils like amsoil/RP/etc also offer a few oils with elevated zddp to help protect hi perf ft cams/lifters too.

But the over the counter run of the mill 10w-30 oil has approx 700-800ppm zddp when a minimum of 1300-1400ppm zddp is required for safe hi perf ft cam/lifter protection,see the point?

Since 1/2007 the latest of mult madates by the Gov/EPA to reduce zddp that has now led to unsafe low ZDDP lvls for hi perf FT cam use in most oils sold over the counter today.

That's due to gov/epa reg's & or madates to do so due to the higher lvl of zddp that hi perf FT cam's require for normal srv'c life actually fouling cat converters over time & miles leading to increased emissions.

I prefer to run Spectro's new Golden motor guard series hi perf oil with 1,800ppm zddp for ft perf cams marketed under summits name for a little less $ then if you buy it dirtectly from Spectro oil.

It's avail in conven and conven /syn semi blend in 30wt/10w-40/20w-50 grades.

Summit runs sales on it once in a while too so whatch for that,there's a sale tab on front page of summits website so you can keep an eye out for oil sales checking there every so often & then stock up hen you see a sale.

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
2009 HD ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC ULTRA (GOT 11/14 W-9,700 miles)

Last edited by SWHEATON; Oct 16th, 10 at 12:42 AM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 9:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHEATON View Post
==================================================

FYI,all you die hard rotella guys need to get with the program and read the oil info that's been posted here since 1/2007/almost 4 yrs ago all over team chevelle that as of that date rotella's newer CJ rated 15w-40 diesel oil didn't have enough zddp to safely protect anything but very mild stock type ft cam/lifters anymore like you would use in a stock 283/307/or low perf smog 350 & even thats pushing it IMHO.

But shell's older CI rated 15w-40 Rotella diesel oil that was mfg'd prior to 1/2007 did in fact have enough zddp to properly protect aftermarket hi perf ft cams .

But chevrons delo 15w-40 diesel oil in the newer post 1/2007 CJ rating does in fact still have enough zddp at 1300ppm to safely protect stock to moderate lvl ft perf cam.

As for the 10w-30 syn oil he's running,if he's running a ft perf cam & its std over the counter run of the mill syn pass car 10w-30 oil then thats not good at all which will likely lead to premature ft/lifter cam failure because it doesnt have enough zddp either like most any over the counter oils sold today with exception of a few like the delo oil,valvolines VR1 race oil also avail locally with 1400ppm zddp,mobil 1's Nascar endorsed hi perf race 15w-50 syn oil with 1300ppm zddp,and a few other full syn hi perf oils like amsoil/RP/etc also offer a few oils with elevated zddp to help protect hi perf ft cams/lifters too.

But the over the counter run of the mill 10w-30 oil has approx 700-800ppm zddp when a minimum of 1300-1400ppm zddp is required for safe hi perf ft cam/lifter protection,see the point?

Since 1/2007 the latest of mult madates by the Gov/EPA to reduce zddp that has now led to unsafe low ZDDP lvls for hi perf FT cam use in most oils sold over the counter today.

That's due to gov/epa reg's & or madates to do so due to the higher lvl of zddp that hi perf FT cam's require for normal srv'c life actually fouling cat converters over time & miles leading to increased emissions.

I prefer to run Spectro's new Golden motor guard series hi perf oil with 1,800ppm zddp for ft perf cams marketed under summits name for a little less $ then if you buy it dirtectly from Spectro oil.

It's avail in conven and conven /syn semi blend in 30wt/10w-40/20w-50 grades.

Summit runs sales on it once in a while too so whatch for that,there's a sale tab on front page of summits website so you can keep an eye out for oil sales checking there every so often & then stock up hen you see a sale.

Scott
I bought a case of napa 20-50 other day to break in my engine ,my long time friend at napa counter advised the zddp additive,because "I didnt know" he may have saved me alot of problems,did I take his advice? hell yes!!

rth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Thanks for the heads up on the oil Scott. Guess Ill start using additive for a little extra insurance. The Shell stuff is cheap and available everywhere, even Wal Mart. I keep the Shell oil around and use it in everything. lawnmowers, generator, motorcycle, weedeater, 4 wheeler and never had an issue but I will start using additive in my car. It was recommended long ago to use in my motorcycle because the same oil lubricates the transmission. And I was told that the Rotella was better on the clutches than regular oil and much cheaper than buying motorcycle specific oil. So I've been using it in everything since.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 9:02 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 317millhand View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the oil Scott. Guess Ill start using additive for a little extra insurance. The Shell stuff is cheap and available everywhere, even Wal Mart. I keep the Shell oil around and use it in everything. lawnmowers, generator, motorcycle, weedeater, 4 wheeler and never had an issue but I will start using additive in my car. It was recommended long ago to use in my motorcycle because the same oil lubricates the transmission. And I was told that the Rotella was better on the clutches than regular oil and much cheaper than buying motorcycle specific oil. So I've been using it in everything since.
==========================

again,the chevron delo oil in same 15w-40 grade is same price as rotella but has more zddp/zinc & phos then the rotella has enough so that for stock to moderate lvl ft perf cams you can use the delo without any zddp additive that can in some cases upset the delicate ballance of ther oils additive pkg reducing the oil overall effectiveness or ability to ppropperly protect the ft cam due to overdose of ZDDP.

Scott

SCOTT
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S

Last edited by SWHEATON; Oct 18th, 10 at 9:29 PM.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 9:23 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RAT View Post
I bought a case of napa 20-50 other day to break in my engine ,my long time friend at napa counter advised the zddp additive,because "I didnt know" he may have saved me alot of problems,did I take his advice? hell yes!!

rth
=============================

FYI,your Napa buddy is off base,20-50 oil is generally too thick as a breakin oil for a rblt or new motor that will have tight bearing clearances.

Thats why you see breakin oils being 10w-30,10-40, or st grade 30wt oil but not normally 20w-50 that will cross over to a 50wt grade oil when the oil get's to operating temp and 50wt is too thick for a breakin oil IMHOfor most street perf sbc/bbc motors.

And using the zddp additive is better then nothing when breaking in a ft cam but not best case by far either vs running maybe valvolines vr1 10w30 race oil or summits new 10-40 jhi perf opil for ft cmas if running one since you brought up the zddp additive.

Both those oils have higher zddp lvls then the napa pass car 20-50 oil has that woul;d have been a bettter choice for breakin with a breakin specific oil additive and for post breakin too without the breakin specific oil additive for ongoing protection of a perf ft cam post breakin .

Napa sells valvoline's VR1 race series oil with a much higher zddp lvl then napa's std ss car 20-50 has and your napa tehc didnt even know he had better oil with much higher zddp lvl thats better for ft cam brakin avail right under his dang nose/LOL!!!!!!

The valvoline VR1 race oil with elevated zddp lvl's is also avail in a much more breakin friendly 10-30 grade vs the too thick for breakin 20-50 oil .

Ask any real experienced machinest/perf engine builder thats knows what they are doing if they would rec a much thick 20-50 oil vs a 10w-30 or st 30wt oil for breakin of new motor that will have tighter bottem end bearing clearances then a used motor with some miles on it that would be a much better candidate for the thicker 20-50 oil and see what they tell ya.

Scott

SCOTT
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 9:31 PM
Tech Team

Do you have a build sheet that came with the engine that has what main and rod clearances are set at???

Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3389 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.