383 stroker specs and questions - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 08, 9:41 PM Thread Starter

383 stroker specs and questions

my name is kyle im 19 yrs old and im new to this forum...im probably on the wrong forum for this because of my car but i was scrolling through looking for specs on 383 stroker motors and this one sounded like the one to be in. everyone has very intelligent and positive input. i just built my first motor and i was shooting for 600hp...a little over the top for a first build but its what i wanted and i dont think i quite got to it. i had a guy from dei do all the machine work to the block and assemble the lower end...i know i went right there. its all forged internals obviously the 400 crank 13:1 domed piston...dual plane professional produstc crosswind intake 750 edelbrock carb 120gph electric fuel pump. 1.5 forged roller rockers hardened pushrods 2.02 1.60 valves and erson race springs a built th400 trans with a nice shift kit and blue clutches 2200 stall...top gun drive shaft from spohn moser 9" rear with 35 spline axles 3:73 detroit locker with 28x 11.5 hoosier quick time pros...the lower end can basically handle anything i can throw at it at this point and ill be able to put it to the ground with the rear and driveshaft. what did i go wrong with in this engine build to get to my goal...thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 08, 10:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
& Administrator

Re: 383 stroker specs and questions

Welcome aboard.

What heads?
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 08, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

sorry missed that and cam...PAIR OF STRIKE FORCE SBC ALUMINUM HEADS
200 CC PORT VOLUME 64 CC BRONZE VALVE GUIDES 230/230.480.480 cam

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 08, 10:33 PM
Tech Team
Ricky

And your only 19?
When I was 19, I could work on my own cars, but man, you got it going on.
It is good to hear from a young man that is interested in a SBC these days and sound like you know what you want and how to get it.
Can't help you with your 600 hp question, just thought I would say WELCOME.

69 Chevelle Malibu

Once Owned
69 Chevelle SS
69 Olds 442
68 GTO
65 Olds 442
72 Nova
72 Cheyenne Super
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 08, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 chevy 383 View Post
13:1 domed piston...2200 stall...230/230.480.480 cam
That's a lot of compression for that cam, and the stall speed is pretty low for the cam.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 1:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Doug

Looks like the only step you missed along the way was someone to help you with your choices/decions.

13:1 good for HP, won't be a true street engine, must run on high octane race gas, might work with E85 or 100 uleaded, others may have first hand information for that.

Your cam actually makes a good HP street cam, but it needs 3500 stall to work in a 350. Definately wrong for your compression.

Heads and intake are where the power is, and you need AFR 195 competition heads or better to get towards your HP number.

For your combo, 4.56's is a better choice for a drag 350.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 4:05 AM Thread Starter

oooh i love the smell of cam 2 on sunday ahah. so say i wanted to stay with the lower end i have now...what kind of cam and stall should i go with? how do u figure the amount of lift and duration etc you need for a setup...this is where i got rammy and lost.the heads i have now are fully port and polished from the owner of portworx performance...whats the difference between the afr heads and mine? ive got a lil bit of money wrapped into these heads and i dont know a whole lot about head work and stuff along those lines but what can i do to these heads to make them what i need? all my upcoming head work will be free just parts...worth it? i know this is hard to do...askin for to much but id like to be able to enjoy this car on the street also...this motor actually doesnt shift until about 10000rpm. i cant tell exactly because i dont have a big enough tach but maybe that will help. and thatnks alot for the compliments...close to every dollar ive ever made has gone into this car and im hoping itll start showing soon

Last edited by 91 chevy 383; Aug 3rd, 08 at 4:18 AM.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 2:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Doug

The AFR heads are a "clean sheet" design based on years of experience building performance heads. Dedicated castings, fully CNC ported with every port consistantly machined, lightweight 8 mm stemed valves, compact lightweight springs and retainers, etc. Bolting a set of AFR 195's to a 383 is almost a no brainer 500 HP pump gas monster. Race gas and a solid roller cam with their competition version heads and you're knocking on 600 HP.

There's nothing wrong with working with what you have, but the big variable here is your heads. Do they have the potential you're looking for? only a dyno would tell for sure. You definately need a solid roller for big HP, but then that restricts the engine's use. (race solid roller cams beat up on the valvetrain and lifters, requiring periodic replacement)

I'd replace that tach, 10K with your engine would have valvetrain parts spraying all over the place. 6500 is a reasonable maximum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 2:25 PM Thread Starter

ya i just opened it up again to go tune it up and i have only been runnin on 7 cylinders...so is there nething i can do to my heads to match up to what the afrs have? a
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 4:28 PM

How good your heads are compared to AFR? I don't think that can be answered from here. Not clear, is this a drag only deal or a streeter? I have been around a couple of 10K shift drag engines and you want to know your shift points exact, 10% over rev will kill everything you own! Real guys have rev limiters set just above the shift point.
What you did not mention is ignition system! If a dedicated drag engine y9ou may have advance locked out, if a streeter probubly have centificle and vacuum? There is a huge amount of performance in getting advance curves right!!
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 4:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 chevy 383 View Post
ya i just opened it up again to go tune it up and i have only been runnin on 7 cylinders...so is there nething i can do to my heads to match up to what the afrs have? a
The heads may have similar potential, but only a professional head porter and a flow bench will be able to tell the story. The likelyhood is your heads could be made to flow as well or better, but the labour involved would exceed new AFR heads. I recommend keeping what you have and running it that way until you can afford better heads and valvetrain. Run it for a couple of years, then install a solid roller valvetrain and a set of AFR 210's and say hello to another 100 HP. (guess)

Don't forget to save some of that hard earned cash for fuel.

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: 383 stroker specs and questions

so if i wanted to do my best to make my heads flow as much as the afrs what would i tell the head shop i wanted to do to them
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 11:45 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

where did you get this 10,000 RPM number? That's not realistic for the engine you have. Did you set the tach for 8-cylinder use?

That Chinese dual plane manifold is not a piece for a 600HP engine and neither is that Edelbrock carb.

If your heads were ported by a professional he should be able to tell you what they flow, that's why they have flow benches.

Are there big domes on the pistons? Or are they flat on top? Did you see them when putting the heads on? 13:1 is race gas only, no experienced engine builder would use 13:1 pistons in an engine with 230/230 cam.

How exactly do you know it's not making 600HP? Was it dyno'd? Do you run the car at the strip?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 08, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

well first of all if you looked at the begining of the post an experienced engine builder didnt build this mototr a first time 19 year old did. yes they are domed yes it runs on cam 2 no its not 600hp because an inexperienced 19 yr old built it that didnt know what he was buying and that brought him here asking questions about how to make more hp. if your here wondering why i have a 230/230 cam with 13:1 i dont know...thats the kind of stuff im here trying to find out. with high compression to you want more duration or less?. i intended to start this as a budget motor (top end) and got out of hand. yes i have the msd hooked up right its set to 8 cylinders. the lower end is virtually bullet proof and some of the lightest interanls i could find because i didnt want to worry about the roatating assembly blowing out on me

Last edited by 91 chevy 383; Aug 4th, 08 at 12:35 AM.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 08, 2:56 AM
Senior Tech Team
Doug

Maybe list out the parts including part numbers, could help us decipher what you have and what you could change.

As I mentioned earlier, working with brand X heads to compete with brand Y heads sometimes isn't financially feasable. Did the porter supply flow sheets with your heads? How much are you willing to spend to achieve what you're looking for?

It's a true shame you are seeking information now after spending the money rather than doing your homework before building the engine. I have it happen once in a while, a guy walks in with his own theory on what will work. Maybe he has a bunch of mismatched parts like you do. I try my best to steer him in the right direction, but some people won't listen, they know more than I do even though I've been doing this as a career for 16+ years, and as a hobby some years prior.

Case in point, we have a fellow building a 383 stroker, bought an eagle crank, some pistons, etc. Tried a few times to tell him the crank wasn't even close to being balanced to his components, but he has it set in his mind that it will be OK. Who knows, maybe he's right. My money is on the engine shaking like a SOB, hopefully I'm wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2751 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.