Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: 383 stroker specs and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevStepper383 View Post
Hey im building a 383 stroker for my 84 stepside,im thinking of goin with the 350 block and 400-crank,flexplate,etc..My setup i wanna run with is the scat forged rotating assembly with 6inch H-beam rods,10:5:1 flatop pistons, extreme energy comp cam-solid flat tappet cam and lifters with comp cams roller rockers,making sure i have the block properly machined at my machine shop,Im thinking of running with the AFR 195cc heads with 64cc chamber and a edelbrock rpm air-gap intake manifold good for 1500-6500rpm and a holley quickfuel 650cfm carb with mechanical secondaries and electric choke,full MSD ignition with the pro-billet hei dist,all topped off with a set of supercomp full length hooker headers good for 1 3/4 primary tubes with a 3inch collector.

My tranny ill keep as the turbo350 and throw a stage2 shift kit at it with a 2500stall and convert it from a column shift to a floor shift using the B&M truck megashifter and most likely keep the 10bolt but make it a posi with 3.73 gearz. Im hoping to acheive between 450-495hp and 485-545ft/lbs
That all sounds okay, but there's a couple flies in your ointment.

Please consider a roller cam. There's power in there and if you're willing to check lash on a solid flat tappet, you're willing to check lash on a solid roller.

The 650 cfm carb won't be big enough. Go to a 750 cfm unit.

The Air Gap intake will pull to 6,500 plus- but add a carb spacer between the carb and intake. You've got a truck, so hood clearance isn't an issue. I like Wilson and HVH four-into-one spacers, but plenty of other folks make them too. They all work and deliver great power-per-dollar. I wouldn't go any shorter than 1-inch thick. Go 1.5 since you've got the room.

Since you're opting for an aftermarket crank, make sure it's internally balanced. I think there's some power in that, but the biggest benefit is that you don't have to find the oddball 400 flexplate or balancer. With an internal balance, cheap & easy 350 flexplates and balancers work just fine.

Your 10-bolt rear won't last long if you get traction. The kind of power this combo is capable of will exceed what the 10-bolt can hold. Maybe not right away, but eventually...probably at the worst-possible time (if your luck is anything like mine). Start sniffing around for a 12-bolt you can build up to take the abuse...or, do what I did and just step up to a Ford 9-inch. They're a bit heavier, but are really common and easy to work with. Changing center sections is a 30-minute affair (with practice) and that means you could have more than one center section ready to go in at any time (with different gears, for example). The 12-bolt rear axles aren't as easy to swap gears.

See my Pro Touring '67 Chevelle Wagon at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Winner- 2011 Car Craft "Real Street Eliminator" competition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 4:33 AM
Team Member
Rick

If it was my engine Instead of spending a bunch of money trying to get those heads to flow like the AFR's. I would either dump them or use them the way they are. If I was going to replace them I would either get the AFR's or Profilers. Then spend some money on some good forged flat top pistons and lower my compression ratio to about 10.5 to 1. Pick a good solid roller to work with the heads and lower compression ratio. Having to run race gas in your street car is expensive as hell.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 2:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Since he has 64cc chambers and if he did go with afrs with a 75cc chambers and a thicker head gasket wouldn't that drop his compression a bit.

Don Pizzi
66 el camino LT1

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old May 29th, 12, 10:55 PM
Tom

Hey kyle, Man YOU ARE IMPRESSIVE! U sound like an old pro. Hope u achieve your goal OR GOALS! Actually I don't have any doubts! Welcome aboard!
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2749 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.