Have you ever seen lifters this bad??? Pictures!! - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 07, 7:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: Have you ever seen lifters this bad??? Pictures!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Holy flat tappet failure Batman!!!

what cam? what brand lifters? How many miles ? What valve springs?

The engine was completely rebuilt in April of 01 (before I bought the car) so I do not know how many miles. We have put about 5,000 miles on at the most. I only have summit part numbers for the cam CRN-133841 and lifters CRN-99250-16 I have no idea what springs are in it but the heads had a lot of work done to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 07, 7:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
Make sure you put in a new oil pump too, cause that one will be toast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
distributor gear also

I thought about both of these parts as well. It is obvious a lot of metal has gone thru the engine.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 07, 8:09 PM

I had a lifter fail as bad as the one you show with the hole in the bottom. This was on a Cam Dynamics cam, but I don't think it was the cams fault. Mine happened on the same lobe that I broke a rocker stud off in the head at high RPM. I wasn't using long slot rockers is why I think that happened. I think the lifter came down and nicked the lobe or something. I got it all back together and maybe 500 miles later it looked like yours.
I took the whole motor apart and was expecting to see a lot of copper on the bearings or at least scratches. But they all looked great. Yours will have had a lot more metal through it though. The lobe was completely round on the cam, all others had a perfect wear patern.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 07, 9:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

here is the cam:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 07, 10:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I had a cam go out on me a couple of years ago. It sent metal throughout the engine as expected. I ended up replacing everything except the block, rods, heads and valves. The crank was scored bad enough it needed to be turned, but was at max undersize already. The sides of the pistons had metal in them as well.

Devin
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 07, 2:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
I had a cam go out on me a couple of years ago. It sent metal throughout the engine as expected. I ended up replacing everything except the block, rods, heads and valves. The crank was scored bad enough it needed to be turned, but was at max undersize already. The sides of the pistons had metal in them as well.

Devin

This is what I am afraid I am looking at
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 07, 11:22 PM

Sweet, I've seen some bad cam and lifter sets but this one takes the cake, never seen one that wore a hole in the bottom of the lifter!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 07, 11:42 PM
Banned
Butch

Red Rocket

The bad lifter was from the center of the block to the timing chain? Am i right or wrong?
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 07, 1:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kyle

Send a message via Yahoo to justkyle

If that was my engine, I would literally just sit in my garage and cry. If I put this much time and effort into putting my 496 together and something like that happens, it would be similar (not really) to losing a child.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 07, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkyle View Post
If that was my engine, I would literally just sit in my garage and cry. If I put this much time and effort into putting my 496 together and something like that happens, it would be similar (not really) to losing a child.

Nah it aint that bad I consider it a chance to do better. The original build was not done by me so now I get to build it the way I want and if I had not had these issues I would most likely have not found this site while looking for info on building the new engine. So the way I see it I am learning a ton and playing in the shop and meeting a bunch of new friends a win win for me!!!! I love wrenching on anything
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 07, 11:36 AM
Banned
Butch

Red Rocket

Did you get my E-MAIL on what to do?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 07, 7:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmnatr View Post
Red Rocket

Did you get my E-MAIL on what to do?

Yes I got it and thatnk for the info I will look into it
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 07, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket Racing View Post

Here are the lifters

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=faq&id=1

Post back if you ever determine the cause of you cam/lofter problem

Greg U

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 07, 1:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kyle

Send a message via Yahoo to justkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket Racing View Post
Nah it aint that bad I consider it a chance to do better. The original build was not done by me so now I get to build it the way I want and if I had not had these issues I would most likely have not found this site while looking for info on building the new engine. So the way I see it I am learning a ton and playing in the shop and meeting a bunch of new friends a win win for me!!!! I love wrenching on anything
That's all well and good, but if I spend this much time learning from the fine folks here at TC, following every step they tell me to, do a perfect prep, assembly, prime and break in, and I end up with a wiped came that makes me do it twice, I will seriously just sit and be bummed.

But, I know it will work out because I have received the best advice and guidance throughout my build anywhere. I know it will work.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 07, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undee70ss View Post

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=faq&id=1

Post back if you ever determine the cause of you cam/lofter problem

Due to the fact that I did not build the engine I will have a hard time figuring out what the root cause was. I would assume improper break in of the cam but if that is the caes I am not sure how it lasted as long as it did. We have had the car for 4 years and put about 3k to 5k on it. It is driven by my wife almost all of the time and it has not been right for a while but I did not know what the problem was and I did have to adjust the valves a couple times (obviuosly) The fact that several lifters are worn, some much worse than others does make me think it was due to break in and not a lack of oil issue. It has been pointed out to me that certain area's are prone to failure due to oil starvation? I had three badly wore lifters spread around randomly so I do not think it was any kind of oiling issue. I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4401 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.