Best BB heads - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 2:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
Best BB heads

I recently dyno'd my 64, 454 Camino at the chassis. It came out at 423 hp at 5600 rpm. Nice curves, the most powerful for a "street" car the operator had seen. I wanna hit 500 hp at the rear wheels. I'm currently running 1971 454 LS6 heads, round port exhausts. I don't remember the casting number off hand. I really think they're my limiting factor. Who has good experiences with aftermarket heads? What did you like about them?

The rest of the engine consists of
454, .030 over, JE pistons, 9.5:1
Victor Jr intake
1000cfm Demon Race carb, no choke
Hooker 2" primary, 3.5" collectors, open headers
Comp XR292 cam, .660 int, .666exh, 254/[email protected]

Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 4:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Andy

Re: Best BB heads

get rid of the rectangle ports,if not for some aftermarket heads,even some good factory ovals will make power worth swapping for. the ovals make more power at all RPM's than rectangles. even with a 177 blower. (watch the argument that this starts). you dont have to take my word for it though. go to Comp Cams web site and read their dyno comparisons with their 268,274,and 284 cams.they swapped multiple combos on a 454,with the ovals winning every time.\
as far as aftermarket heads go: i like AFR's. hope this helps.

New project:Red/Blk Stripes 70 SS-565" FAST+XFI, 819 HP/ 735 TQ on pump-gas. "Red Dead"!

Sold: My 71 SS 454 clone "Back from the Dead"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 7:09 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

4.25 crank might get you most of the way there. Your heads, manifold, cam and carb are on the big side for a 454. That cam is a roller, right? I don't think your heads are limiting factor. your RWHP indicates a little over 500 HP, That seems a little short for the stuff you're running. A 496 would make better use of your existing parts.

Are the heads cleaned up, pocket ported at all? You could get some HP there if they're bone stock.

what kind of A/F ratios did you come up with? Where is your timing?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 8:32 AM
Team Member
John

What are you using the car for? The rect. ports will be OK if you take the car to the track most of the time...for a mostly street car, I would look into the ovals. That's exactly what Im doing right now. Also, why the huge carb? Cam is pretty big too, but not huge...it all comes down to what you're doing with it. If it's all race, the c/r should be higher. If it's street, the things mentioned are too big.

The difference between intelligence and apathy?
I have no idea, and I couldnt care less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 10:57 AM
Tech Team
Rich

I used Brodix Race Rite Ovals and they not only look beautiful, every stock part fits in the correctly tapped hole which helps a bunch. Wolfplace can hook you up with a pair for a very decent price. I added titanium retainers from Brodix for safety's sake. Also, get the combustion chambers CNC ported by Brodix...they look great and all seems to work very nicely.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

i would get some smaller chambered heads ,oval or rectangle ..edelbrock rovals come to mind!! add a point of compression and that cam will thank you...and your response should pick up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 3:38 PM
Team Member
Walter

You will spend about the same amount of money either way you go, after market heads or stroker.

Personally, I would stroke it and then it will all come together for you. It would also tame it down for you too, and make it more drive friendly. No substitution for cubic inches.

10.5-1 496/AFR 305's/Voodoo 60234 Solid Roller/TH400 4000 Stall/4.11 12 Bolt
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 07, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

More information in response to questions asked:

I ran ovals on my last engine, it definitely had more low end response. I built this one expecting to spin it to 7500 rpm, which is why it has all big flowing parts. The current heads have been very mildly touched at the intake manifold opening. Nothing any deeper. I built this motor because I killed my 427 (or more like it, it commit suicide.) I thought about going 496 but couldn't pull it off financially at the time. I already had this 454 crank so it got used. The car gets driven infrequently on the streets, mainly back and forth to the dragstrip, 35 miles each way. The rest of the drivetrain consists of an M21 and a 12 bolt posi with 4.56 gears. I need to get it back to the chassis dyno since having made some adjustments to the accelerator pump cam. It was very lean down low, but good by the time it got to 4500 or so. It stayed in range from there to 7000 where the test ended. I managed to kill a slick due to the way it was tied down on the roller, so I wasn't able to do any more testing in that session.

Devin
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 07, 2:30 PM
Tech Team
Don ross

Send a message via AIM to Army30 Send a message via Yahoo to Army30

I have never really steped up into the Big Block Chevy, only smallblocks.... so i decided to take that leap . So being the new kid on the block what is the differeance between oval port and rectangle port????

let me knonw what you think?

the big idea?!?
"496" speed o motive stroker short block
je pistons with 0.60 bored over
heads not sure??? thats why i am here
comp cams magnum solid roller 288AR .622 intake and exhaust
Intake undecided... gm 502 standard????
headers hooker???
carb was thinking.. Holley 950 HP
was thinking of 3.08 gears in the rear ?
gonna be used for a pro touring car, all street no track.

any other input would be sweet!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 07, 9:54 PM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Wink Re: Best BB heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army30 View Post
on the Big Block Chevy, what is the difference between oval port and rectangle port ????
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Ar...ID=-1989283802

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles.../photo_02.html

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 07, 10:01 PM
pdq67

Army,

Buy a copy of HPBooks old, "How to hotrod BB Chevy's" so you will have a reference book to start w/ imho...

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 1:36 AM
Tech Team
Don ross

Send a message via AIM to Army30 Send a message via Yahoo to Army30

ty for the info!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 07, 9:34 AM
pdq67

And once you get it down, Ed Staffel's book "How to Build Max Performance Chevy Rat Motors"..

Another EXCELLENT book that is more up to date..

And after the bug really bites you, buy "How to Build Monster Chevy Big Block's" that deals w/ BIG big blocks!!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4626 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.