502 BB Chevy Oil Use - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 502 BB Chevy Oil Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
do the new ZZ's with alumninum heads have the same problems as the HO's? I really want to put a ZZ in my 67, but no way am I going to pay the big bucks for an engine that burns oil.....very shameful! guess I will have to go with another engine choice....anybody hear anything about the new Edelbrock 502?

thanks
I can only say that the zz502 crate motor with what looks to be Eddy performer rpm rovals is no oil burner.Maybe we got lucky.It uses 1 qaurt of oil between 5k mile changes.Aside from the weeny HR and the economy 850 VS..we are ok with it.A quick carb swap to a 850 DP and 6 degrees added to the initial timing helped it.It is a tire fryer for sure..and no valve float at 5800 rpm shifts out of the crate.So far so good.

George

8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 12:02 AM
In Memory of Kevin
Kevin

lets see, many of you bought the motor from GM with a warranty, but don't use it? Not a wise move if I may say so myself.... if I buy something, ANYthing, with a warranty, I'll by God use it

Independent shops can do warranty work on GMPP motors. since 3-1-07 they come with a 2 year 50,000 mile warranty.

any concerns should be taken to a local dealer or independent shop. No luck with one dealer, go to another.

Just my take on things though

Some people say I have too much stuff for my garage, I say I have too little garage for my stuff
If some is good, more is better and too much is just right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When used separately, women and alcohol can be alot of fun...... But when you mix 'em, they'll turn you into a dumbass" - Red Foreman
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old, fat, bald guy View Post
lets see, many of you bought the motor from GM with a warranty, but don't use it? Not a wise move if I may say so myself.... if I buy something, ANYthing, with a warranty, I'll by God use it
I bought my engine long before I started it, let alone put any miles on it.
Bought it in March of 2005, was not even set between the rails for six months---I finally registered the car in June of 06 with only 5 miles on the odometer-----By this time the warranty was long gone.

Do not even think for a minute that I did not argue with GM performance parts AND GM warranty people----They pretty much told me "tough chit"
I bought it thru Summit Racing and installed it myself so the warranty was not worth the paper it was written on (as I gathered from what they told me)

When I finally pulled the engine and got it repaired-----I called them to let them know what the builder found-----They pretty much said, "We don't believe you as a GM technician did not have the opportunity to look at it".

Also having braking issues with a new Ford Ranger and dealing with their warranty people (3 times for brake repairs in 90 days), you can bet I was not very polite to these twits.

Building the 59---I bought parts as I could afford them and in a logical order---when doing the frame and powertrain--the engine to be used is kind of necessary.

Bryan's toyz

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On the street now!!!

65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4456 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.