STEWIE'S ENGINE SWAP/vacuum lines, rochester 2GV carb etc. - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 1:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

STEWIE'S ENGINE SWAP/vacuum lines, rochester 2GV carb etc.

You may have heard that the swapped engine is now running (suprisingly quite well i might add).

I would now like to get into vacuum lines. By the way, i have seen the new vacuum hoses by MR. Gasket that are not rubber, but silicone and they're supposed to be better than rubber. But more on that later.

Let's take a look at my setup:

A) What is this?

B) I'm thinking this is the choke.
b1) Does this vacuum hook up here? I connected it because it seemed like it should go there. How does this work?

C) Should the advance for the dist go to c1? Or does it matter much where it goes?

D1 and 2) Do you have any idea what these would be for?

More:

E) and F) Do you have any idea what these might be for?

G) What about this?

h) I am aware about the trans modulator thing and i will take care of it asap.

2) By the way, that is a remanufactured carb that i got at pepboys for $100 and the core was $25. The part # is Champion 3735. The thing on top of the airhorn is an adapter from Spectre to go from 3 1/16 to the popular 5 1/8 air cleaner size. I'll get the part # later.

Is this a 2GV or a 2GC? I think it is a 2GV; I just matched the old one to the new one at pepboys.
Also, don't worry about the water on the manifold; My thermostat housing is leaking and i will install a new gasket asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 06, 12:28 AM
Tech Team
Tony

Send a message via AIM to Shwevle
Post Re: STEWIE'S ENGINE SWAP/vacuum lines, rochester 2GV carb etc.

I dont know about A but i do know the following pretty well

B: I believe is a hot air (integral maybe) type of choke operated by heated vacuum air.

B1: Is correct, this is used to operate B according to exhaust heated air and or air velocity.

C: Should goto E.

C1: Is for constant canister purge and or timed canister purge and a hose from there should go to the EVAP canister into the "CARB" port on the top of the canister.

D2 With the rubber cap: is or was used for the THERMAC type air cleaners with the heatstove on the pasenger side exhaust manifold and have a round object on the top of the snorkle with the metal pipe undernieth, hey have two tubes that goes to a temperature opperated thing that says AC on it, one goes to the round thing on the snorkle and the other goes to D2, since it obviously seems like your not using the stock air cleaner anymore D2 can stay capped off.

F: F can be capped off.

G: I think G needs manifold vacuum to operate the choke, is it going to the choke (B)? picture is sorta confusing where G is, if it is try connecting G to D.

H: H goes to that fitting on the manifold to the right of the distributor as im sure you know.

The carb looks like it is a 2GC...
All of the above is based on an original setup for the most part.
Hope it works for ya.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 06, 9:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Re: STEWIE'S ENGINE SWAP/vacuum lines, rochester 2GV carb etc.

I believe A is the EGR valve and should be connected to vacuum source at base of carb or from manifold.

Been a LONG time since I worked on a 2bbl rochester, don't remember where all the lines go.

Interested in hearing about those vacuum lines!

Mark

1970 SS396
Lewis Racing Engines (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) 489:
634 HP @ 6000rpm
627 Lb-ft @ 4,000rpm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gear Vendors Overdrive
Moser 12 Bolt

Radiator
Pypes Exhaust

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 06, 3:35 PM
Tech Team

A is an egr valve...it should be connected to a thermostatic vacumn valve and then to prted vac at the carb. The thermostatic valve prevents the egr from working with a cold engine. I think g needs to go to a vent at the air cleaner.. b1 is in the proper place and with the engine running there should be vac being applied to this by the carb...that is what pulls the hot air into the choke housing to heat the cap.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 10, 1:51 AM
Edward

Good info, I was trying to figure out how the hot air works its way into the choke?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3384 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.