327 SBC Heads - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 3:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

327 SBC Heads

Hey everyone. I need some advice on which heads to buy???? What I'm dealing with from a stripped header bolt to just not enough head from what I've heard.... plus non hardened seats. I am curious to what you would suggest for heads for my engine.
First off this is a 327 sbc. 30 over. Small journal engine. Forged internals. Forged flat top pistons. Has a summit 1107 camshaft. The current heads are the old school powerpack heads which from what I've read yield a 138cc intake runner. 58cc chamber and 1.52 intake valve.
I have 1 3/4 long tube headers and rpm intake with spacer and a quickfuel DP Mech. Sec. 650cfm.
I'm currently looking at speedmaster cast iron 175cc intake runner. 59cc chamber. 1.94 valve heads. And putting a rpm air gap intake. Would this be a good fit. Or would I benefit from speedmasters 210cc 64cc chamber 2.02 valve heads and the rpm air gap and or high rise? From what everyone's told me the cam is quite big for the engine. So I'm curious if I need more intake runner and chamber to flow the engine correctly.
What do y'all think? Oh and this is a simple budget car.. little hot street car. NOT A DAILY DRIVER... this a little weekend warrior. Cause ruckus build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200607_190644_1594583862701.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	632796  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 327 SBC Heads

Stay away from the 210's too big for that 327. I don't know anything about the speedmaster heads except they are most likely Procomp stuff so take it for what it's worth. Me I use GM Vortec heads. Work great and you can now find them cheap, get them cracked checked and a valve job that all you need to do with them.
Steve R and blue_69_malibu like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 4:08 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

The old term Power pack heads were 1.94 intake and usually 64 cc chambers. They also came with 2.02 which is in my 68 L79 heads and they are 64 cc and I believe 170 runners. The later heads used in 69/70 Z28's had accessory holes that the 68 didn't. I stayed with my original heads because I was number matching but I did put in hardened seats however many dispute if they are needed. I can say I have seen my share of sunken valves back in the day when leaded gas was everywhere. So the double hump 2.02's can make good power but can be easily taken out with Vortec and after market performance heads.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 4:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

I think Vortecs would be perfect... the ones I've checked measure 62-63cc. Small CSA to keep the velocity up in a small ci engine.
71350SS likes this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 7:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
The old term Power pack heads were 1.94 intake and usually 64 cc chambers. They also came with 2.02 which is in my 68 L79 heads and they are 64 cc and I believe 170 runners. The later heads used in 69/70 Z28's had accessory holes that the 68 didn't. I stayed with my original heads because I was number matching but I did put in hardened seats however many dispute if they are needed. I can say I have seen my share of sunken valves back in the day when leaded gas was everywhere. So the double hump 2.02's can make good power but can be easily taken out with Vortec and after market performance heads.
Thanks for the reply. That's very strange I've always read that they have 58-60cc chambers. You are talking about the heads marked with a rectangle and small triangle on top of it???
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 7:19 PM
Tech Team
Tyler

He’ll need different valve covers and intake with the vortecs’ Right? Kinda limits the ability to swap stuff around. Just my 2 cents.........which isn’t worth much😊
Pete 67 likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 8:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebell View Post
He’ll need different valve covers and intake with the vortecs’ Right? Kinda limits the ability to swap stuff around. Just my 2 cents.........which isn’t worth much😊
I would but I'd do if the power would be worth it lol know of any decent aftermarket vortech heads?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 8:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobDean24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebell View Post
I would but I'd do if the power would be worth it lol know of any decent aftermarket vortech heads?
Other then AFR lol I know they're worth it but not wanting to spend a ton of money of this car. Just want it to be a decent little hot rod.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 9:10 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Speedmaster is ProComp, they just changed the name a year or so ago, probably to get away from the negative publicity they had created for themselves with the initial junk offered by ProComp. They are all offshore imported castings.
A good portion of their product line has gotten better with each new revision they make when one production run is sold out and they revise for the next batch.

On their SBC heads, the only one I know is decent is the recent 200cc version, the 190, 195, 210cc version are not all that good. I know nothing of the 175cc, never touched one.

The ProMaxx Maxx series is getting a lot of good mentions/reviews in various engine build boards....the Maxx 183cc would be right up your alley if the Vortec idea doesn't appeal to you. Really good flow numbers. It's an import casting, but finished here in the US by ProMaxx.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 9:24 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. That's very strange I've always read that they have 58-60cc chambers. You are talking about the heads marked with a rectangle and small triangle on top of it???
Rectangle block with triangle on top is Power Pak, yes. 58-60cc chambers, small 1.72" intake valves, used on 250Hp and less 327's and on 283's.

The 283 and 327 heads with 1.94" valves and 62-64cc chambers are the so-called "camel hump" heads, often also called "Fuelie" but are technically only true Fuelie if they have 2.02" intake valves. 155-162 cc port volume depending on exact casting number, with casting numbers followed by an "X" versions 10cc bigger.
Kopfjaeger likes this.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 10:07 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:

The old low performance heads had 1.72 intake valves. They were used on the 327/250 and 307 engines in 68 and most were 72 CC chambers. The 327/300 used 1.94 intake valves and 64 cc. Double hump or sometimes called camel hump had two humps on the heads. If you have the valve covers off and you provide a casting number we can tell what you have but I suspect you have 1.72 valves and 72cc chambers. Can I assume they do not have peanut plugs and use a 13/16 socket to remove the plug? Please ignore the prices below as they are out of line IMO for the 1.94's but it shows the 462 1.94 double hump heads. Those castings can also use larger 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves like my L79 and they almost touch each other. The second set of heads are probably 72-76 CC 1.72 intake valves that you likely have that would yield 8.5 to 1 compression with flat tops. You can also easily see the chamber size difference with the 1.94's having much more metal in the chamber. Let me know if you have any more questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/66-Chevy-sm...QAAOSwIVhZ-Xen

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RECONDITION...MAAOSwqwNexzbM

Last edited by Billdini; Jul 13th, 20 at 10:23 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I'm thinking he's got the old school 520 casting 60cc 1.72 heads. I think the power pak head upside down triangle on a rectangle block was made from 60 to 66.
I would imagine any on 64cc budget aluminum head will do wonders compared to a 55 year old casting. jim
Pete 67 likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 11:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Quote:

As stated, PowerPak heads (the ones with the triangle) came with 1.72 valves from the factory. You don't want those. Double hump heads came with either 1.94 or 2.02 intake valves. These would work better on your 327, but are old technology. Any modern aftermarket head will outflow & outperform 60 year old factory heads.

If you haven't already, take a look at the Trick Flow aluminum retro double humps. They have 2.02 intake valves & 60cc combustion chambers to work with small-mid displacement small blocks.You can buy them with or without accessory bolt holes & they also have options for running a roller cam. I plan to put a set on my Nova to retain a period correct look for my Day 2 build theme.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-30210006

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-30210002
71350SS likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 12:50 AM
Tech Team
Eric

Speedway Motors also has a Double Hump look-alike head they call the Aluminum Camel Double Hump 461....180cc intake port volume, 2.02"/1.6" valves, 64cc fast burn chamber, raised valvecover rail so stock script valvecovers will clear roller rockers.

It appears to be cast by or from the same source as Flo-Tek, you can buy the same spec head without those two "camel humps" for almost $360 a pair cheaper. Same ports, same chambers, exact same flow numbers, just no end "humps"....makes those two little aluminum bits forming the "humps" pretty pricy.
71350SS likes this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 1:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Okay great. Thanks for all the info and input guys!!!! Really appreciate all the help. Yes these heads are the 520 casting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in