Engine General Engine Discussion.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By lucifershammer
  • 1 Post By lucifershammer
  • 1 Post By Robinls5

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 7:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Is there an interlocking 307 engine mount?

Swapping a 307 for a 383, and I bought a set of "short" frame mounts so I could use the standard interlocking SB engine mounts. Now the engine is pulled, and it seems like the only way to change the frame mounts is to pull the lower control arms. With all the aftermarket parts on the market today, does anybody make an interlocking mount for the tall frame mounts?

1969 Malibu in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 7:59 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Is there an interlocking 307 engine mount?

Olle,
Not sure if 69 is that much different than my 71 but I had the frame mounts off mine and reinstalled them with the control arms on. If I remember correctly it took a couple of long extensions and a u-joint socket but it was doable.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 8:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Olle,
Not sure if 69 is that much different than my 71 but I had the frame mounts off mine and reinstalled them with the control arms on. If I remember correctly it took a couple of long extensions and a u-joint socket but it was doable.
I was able to do it on my '71 Camaro 25 years ago, as far as I remember it has some larger holes where you at least could get some access. It was a PITA and required some dexterity and bad language, but still doable. Not so sure about the Chevelle though. I could probably get the old mounts off, but reaching in there to put the nuts back... well, I sure don't know. I have been under there shining through the holes with a flashlight, and I just couldn't see a way to do it. I was pretty pooped by the end of the day, so I guess I'll look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. Maybe some beer will help.

Still, it would be nice to find good, interlocking 307 mounts, that would make it entirely painless. I figure it would be a very common swap, so surely enough there's something out there?

1969 Malibu in progress

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 8:46 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
I was able to do it on my '71 Camaro 25 years ago, as far as I remember it has some larger holes where you at least could get some access. It was a PITA and required some dexterity and bad language, but still doable. Not so sure about the Chevelle though. I could probably get the old mounts off, but reaching in there to put the nuts back... well, I sure don't know. I have been under there shining through the holes with a flashlight, and I just couldn't see a way to do it. I was pretty pooped by the end of the day, so I guess I'll look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. Maybe some beer will help.

Still, it would be nice to find good, interlocking 307 mounts, that would make it entirely painless. I figure it would be a very common swap, so surely enough there's something out there?

If I remember it took maybe using some grease to hold the nuts and washers on the socket. Just curious, I have never paid much attention to the motor mount conversations but what type of mount was on your 307 ? I thought everything back then had the interlocking mounts ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 9:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I went with these in my car - it's a 307 car that someone dropped a 454 in and just used Energy Suspension mounts on the first time. When I just swapped in my new MJ 467, I decided to use new mounts since I had it out and the old mounts were, well, quite old. And these fit nicely on the factory 307 engine frame stands.

After asking around a little, I was told these are just re-branded Energy Suspension mounts. When I got them - they had "Energy Suspension" molded into the urethane that someone did a bad job grinding off so you couldn't see who made 'em, but they didn't do good enough on one of them and it was easily readable.

If you look at the Q&A, Summit says they are indeed interlocking mounts and will lock if they fail.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-7731114
Olle likes this.

1972 Chevelle, MJ 467, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 9:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
If I remember it took maybe using some grease to hold the nuts and washers on the socket. Just curious, I have never paid much attention to the motor mount conversations but what type of mount was on your 307 ? I thought everything back then had the interlocking mounts ?
No, the 307 mount is not interlocking. I spent some quality time on the internet this evening, and it seems like the 307 and possibly the 2 bbl 350 came with the "tall mount" type. I guess they didn't think it was neccessary with interlocking mounts on the slowpokes, although it makes no sense to use two different types. I guess the non-interlocking mounts were a few cents cheaper, so they used them where they thought they could get away with it.

As a matter of fact, both my old mounts were broken and I never noticed a thing. No vibrations, no excessive movement or anything. It would probably have been very different with the 383 though. A friend of mine broke a mount in his '69 Mach 1, which resulted in a runaway engine. Luckily, he realized what was happening and turned the engine off, but it could have ended in a very bad way. So I do want interlocking engine mounts.

1969 Malibu in progress
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 9:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I went with these in my car - it's a 307 car that someone dropped a 454 in and just used Energy Suspension mounts on the first time. When I just swapped in my new MJ 467, I decided to use new mounts since I had it out and the old mounts were, well, quite old. And these fit nicely on the factory 307 engine frame stands.

After asking around a little, I was told these are just re-branded Energy Suspension mounts. When I got them - they had "Energy Suspension" molded into the urethane that someone did a bad job grinding off so you couldn't see who made 'em, but they didn't do good enough on one of them and it was easily readable.

If you look at the Q&A, Summit says they are indeed interlocking mounts and will lock if they fail.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-7731114
That's probably the same as this then: https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...rgy-suspension . I looked at those earlier today, but Energy Suspension's web site says that "most" of their mounts are interlocking so I wasn't sure.

So how does that backing plate work, I can't see anything that connects it to the frame mount?

1969 Malibu in progress
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 9:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

The backing plate is a preload plate. I'm not sure exactly how the interlocking works, but I suspect there is more metal than meets the eye inside of that polyurethane.

Note that the other version of the Energy Suspension mount for the non-307 cars (including big blocks) looks the exact same, except the dimensions are different (tall and skinny vs short and fat), and they say that one is also interlocking.

Edit: google is your friend. Found it. This page describes it (I was right - it’s inside the polyurethane where you can’t see it.)

https://energysuspension.com/motor-a...mission-mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
That's probably the same as this then: https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...rgy-suspension . I looked at those earlier today, but Energy Suspension's web site says that "most" of their mounts are interlocking so I wasn't sure.

So how does that backing plate work, I can't see anything that connects it to the frame mount?
Olle likes this.

1972 Chevelle, MJ 467, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
The backing plate is a preload plate. I'm not sure exactly how the interlocking works, but I suspect there is more metal than meets the eye inside of that polyurethane.

Note that the other version of the Energy Suspension mount for the non-307 cars (including big blocks) looks the exact same, except the dimensions are different (tall and skinny vs short and fat), and they say that one is also interlocking.

Edit: google is your friend. Found it. This page describes it (I was right - it’s inside the polyurethane where you can’t see it.)

https://energysuspension.com/motor-a...mission-mounts
Ah, so it's cleverly hidden then. I'll definitely order a set of those, that will save me a lot of work and aggravation.

I read the Q&A, and somebody made it sound that the preload plate was part of the interlocking feature. So stupid question: What purpose does the preload plate serve?

1969 Malibu in progress
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 8:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Pulled the 307 frame stands and installed the 350 & up stands. Hell, I had nuts taped to box wrenches, I do believe I had 40 or fifty different wrenches sockets , U joints, Scotch Tape, Masking tape.
BIG SECRET: 8 or 9 year old will help. Option #2 Borrow some ones grand kids, With tiny hands.
And, Thought learning " McBeth " in high school english class was tough!
Bob
I still remember............. Is this a dagger that I see before me, Come let me clutch thee, I have thee not but I see thee still, Art tho not a fatal vision of the mind, But a vision of the sight,,, Etc,Etc.... by" William, Shake your beer " AKA " Billy drinkbeer! "
cage2592 likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in