427 block epoxy patch - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 20, 9:44 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Nelson

427 block epoxy patch

Figured I’d post this cause it’s taken me a long time to build this engine and wondering before I go much further what feed back I’d get. Good or bad.

I got this 1966 427 block which I suspect was probably stroked cause of the rod clearance work done to it. But what concerned me was that one of the grinding spots had epoxy on it. So I figured they must of grinder thru the water jacket. I took the block away.

I took block to be sleeved back to stock bore and magnafux tested. No problems found. Machine shop said nothing wrong with epoxy spot. Plus they added epoxy to the 7 other grind spots (not sure why he did this).

I took it home and continue building it but figured I’d pressure test the water jackets. I put 50 psi in it, no leaks.

Question. Do you think this is a reliable method? Can this fail when engine heats up? The close up picture is of cyl 7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B31E5B67-9B3C-4C30-A3C0-910A2383D558.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	632634   Click image for larger version

Name:	E850EE03-CF44-4B14-874D-BAA7B91268EA.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	632638   Click image for larger version

Name:	A075BE4B-031E-4105-ADA1-523D53E2DEF3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	632640  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 7:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 427 block epoxy patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C427GO! View Post
Figured I’d post this cause it’s taken me a long time to build this engine and wondering before I go much further what feed back I’d get. Good or bad.

I got this 1966 427 block which I suspect was probably stroked cause of the rod clearance work done to it. But what concerned me was that one of the grinding spots had epoxy on it. So I figured they must of grinder thru the water jacket. I took the block away.

I took block to be sleeved back to stock bore and magnafux tested. No problems found. Machine shop said nothing wrong with epoxy spot. Plus they added epoxy to the 7 other grind spots (not sure why he did this).

I took it home and continue building it but figured I’d pressure test the water jackets. I put 50 psi in it, no leaks.

Question. Do you think this is a reliable method? Can this fail when engine heats up? The close up picture is of cyl 7.
Appears to NOT be a '66 casting based on the oil filter register?? The casting number AND date cast into the block would help.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. We do these for a living here as a business, there's no way I would be able to stand behind a build using that casting with all that epoxy. Not even sure I would get involved with the customers own 100% approval??

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#
Best time to date-11/2019 7.00 @ 204+ @ 3800#
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 8:42 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Nelson

Gary thanks. Good catch you obviously know your stuff. It’s a 67. The heads are 66. Here’s a pic of stamps.

I agree with you. I to don’t like the idea of the epoxy. I would of considered brazing the one questionable spot on cyl 7. But I’m concerned of preheating that area with new sleeves already installed. I have heard of some brazing rods that don’t require preheating the area. But I’d have to try it on another casting and then pressure test the weld.

What’s your thoughts on brazing it? Would it be considered a permanent repair?

Thanks Nelson

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 8:46 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Nelson

Sorry forgot to attach pictures
Attached Images

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 9:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C427GO! View Post
Gary thanks. Good catch you obviously know your stuff. It’s a 67. The heads are 66. Here’s a pic of stamps.

I agree with you. I to don’t like the idea of the epoxy. I would of considered brazing the one questionable spot on cyl 7. But I’m concerned of preheating that area with new sleeves already installed. I have heard of some brazing rods that don’t require preheating the area. But I’d have to try it on another casting and then pressure test the weld.

What’s your thoughts on brazing it? Would it be considered a permanent repair?

Thanks Nelson
We can weld it..........but the sleeve job is a disaster. The correct way to fix that is to cut the sleeve out and weld everything up and remachine for a Darton ductile iron sleeve. We do this but for very expensive numbers matching cars. Example: COPO's and rare Corvettes.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 1:39 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Just curious why you would go through all that expense and trouble unless it is some type of numbers matching deal ?????

That being said I had a small block a while back that somebody had done the same thing with stroker clearancing. Customer wanted to save it so we cleaned out the water jackets real good then mixed up a batch of Marine-Tex and poured it about an inch deep in both sides of the block. That was a few years ago and as far as I know it is still running fine. That block didnt need anything else done to it so it was worth a try.
Bonkerman likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I was wondering the same thing. Why would you even start with a block in such bad shape? I'm surprised the machine shop didn't try talk you out of doing it in the first place.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 3:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Seen stuff like that last many yrs...some only chance it on a drag car.
If it were me sell it and go get a 454 stick a 427 sticker on the air cleaner

427 is my fav too but everyone I come across has problem, patched up and they still want a fortune for it.
Think of it has a much larger 383 that weighs more.

That epoxy could hold forever or let you down after spending all that money on it.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 4:01 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerman View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Why would you even start with a block in such bad shape? I'm surprised the machine shop didn't try talk you out of doing it in the first place.

I dont know what machine shop prices are where the original poster lives but around here by the time you bought the block, put 8 sleeves in it and did whatever else was needed you would be pretty close to the price of a new block.
BillyGman and Bonkerman like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 5:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I dont know what machine shop prices are where the original poster lives but around here by the time you bought the block, put 8 sleeves in it and did whatever else was needed you would be pretty close to the price of a new block.
That is why I'm surprised the machine shop didn't suggest a better donor to start with. There is no shortage of blocks around that would have been a much better choice. I would have placed that block right in the scrap bin.
BillK likes this.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 6:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

That casting # 3916321 is for early 68 model year. That T097 stamp on the starter pad means that it was a service replacement fitted block that was assembled in September of 1967, and it would not have any stampings on the top deck. If it has 66 heads that were with it when you got it, it probably was a replacement block installed in a 66 Vette or Impala under warranty, and they reused the original heads.

Has the top side ever been decked? Or does it still have original broach marks? If it is unstamped with the original broach marks, then there are probably some 68 Corvette guys that would salivate over that. Maybe enough to be willing to have all the work done to make it "right". But if it has 8 sleeves I assume it was probably decked.

Good luck either way!
71350SS likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Nelson

Thanks for real feedback, really appreciate it.
No it’s not a matching number project.
Don’t know why but always loved the mystery engine IV. So decided to look for one this was the best “I” could find cost $1600 bucks, was .060 over not decked, looked like a start.
Machine shop charged me $1600, that included sleeving, fly cut deck, magnafux, cam bearing, crank bearings to, (cause I bought a 6223 crank from him for $300 cut -.010) freeze plugs and it included cleaning up and valve job on 858 heads no fancy work just reseating vlaves and new seals. Fly cut.

OK back to EPOXY lol.
I couldn’t sleep so went back to shop and stripped alllll that damn epoxy off. Found the leak. Tiny pin hole. My take is (which make me feel better about this blocks unknown past abuse) is that this hole or perforation was caused by grinding work for rod clearance. Not due to stress or temp changes. Probably brazed at that time.

I will definitely be brazing this area to build it up. Just gotta see how I go about it without affecting sleeves.
Worst case I’d have to just do one re sleeving.

I know I could probably had just picked up a turn key crate engine or a brand new block, but I’m not into that, I do this for fun. I like the challenge, to a certain point. That is, I’m hoping when I’m done then engine holds a reasonable value. After it’s dyno I’ll probably put it in a 68 Chevelle.

Thanks and counting on your feed back.
Nelson
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	92D936C5-2937-4B7D-B648-7E0689A7A177.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	632752   Click image for larger version

Name:	61F94E59-280D-439E-A61E-2A7A78D438E9.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	632754  
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 9:04 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

hard for me to understand. 8 sleeves? why do that? what is the point?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 8:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Ok, to each his own but add me to the list of guys wondering why. A ton of expense paid for such a huge nagging question mark. Don’t get me wrong, there is a very special place in my heart for a factory 427 but, how much is too much.

The method of repair bugs me. So some idiot got over zealous with a grinder and nicked the water jacket, while making this factory 427 block a stroker. That’s a whole different WTF question. Wouldn’t a much better repair have been to fill the lower section of the water jacket with a sealant? Seems to me that applying epoxy to the outside is like putting 100 mph tape on an arterial bleed. Decent in a pinch but a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Joe
bcvet likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 9:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Just get a 454 and put 427 stickers on it... A nice 1978, low compression, truck motor with just 1000 miles on it when it was installed. The owner got it from a brand new Bookmobile that got demolished. Stuck it in his basement corner and found the perfect home for it, my 69 SS396 El Camino..

It runs on 87 always starts in the hottest weather. All it needed was tuned and it runs strong!! High compression on a street motor is a pain in the a$$ and frankly I don't think it adds anything to performance. I'm talking street not track now.. We all know you need compression for the drags..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine center.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	633018  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in