Dripping Water - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Dripping Water

Well today was the first startup of my 454 in a 64 chevelle. It didnt go quite as planned and has been a bear. BUT it fired up, timing was close enough and ran my 20 minute break in period. The water temp climbed to about 220 before i remembered to crack the cap, came right down and settled around 180, oil pressure was fine, ran rough but with no adjustments it was good enough to get the cam break in done.

Heres where it gets fun, of course I expected some little leaks here and there. Found a drain hole that I didnt plug, and tightened up the sender fitting to get the leaks stopped. All was well I thought......then I went out and saw a little puddle of water, with a drop coming in every few seconds. No biggie i thought, must just be the residual dripping out from the temp sensor (passenger head). Well crawling underneath it looks like it is coming out between the head and block...........

Now i dont have any other symptoms, oil was drained and is clean, and I tightened the temp sensor fitting a smidge more and now its not dripping. My concern, I dont think 220 was too hot, maybe it was? Did it stop dripping because it drained it all out of the head? Do i pull this head off now, or run it some more and see what it does? Also it is right below a lower head bolt, could the sealant not have done its job and its just wicking up the bolt and out at the head gasket? or is it possible that it was just the temp sensor and the remaining few drips were just the residual that was already out! Trying to remain calm

Last edited by fayetteguy; Jul 5th, 20 at 5:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 7:56 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Dripping Water

220 is not hot enough to hurt anything. Most new cars run much hotter. I would let it cool off, check the coolant level and if it is ok you are done. Its not all that uncommon to have a few small leaks like that on a new installation. GM used to sell what guys called "horse pills" that were a large tablet of sealer meant to be put into a new engine to help seal minor leaks.
LeoP, B52bombardier1 and BillyGman like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 10:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I had a drip or two with my 468. After a " TEASPOON " JUST a teaspoon full not the whole freeken can!!!!of stop leak after one or two heat cycles all is well. No runs, NO drips,, NO nutten!
Bob
71350SS and BillyGman like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 11:27 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Barr's Leak Tabs, just like ACDelco sells, toss one in if the drip persists. They put them in every new build as insurance and have for 40 years.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 20, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

You guys have made me feel a lot better about it. When I put a 355 in my nova I didn't have the slightest drip of anything, so when this started i got a little concerned.

I am fighting a carb thats not perfect, Having a tough time running off the idle circuit, but crack the throttle enough to get into the main circuit and it runs great. Worked well for break in at least.

Thanks for the words of confidence guys! I will let you know if it persists!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Usually if it won't idle right but runs great as you accelerate then its probably a vacuum leak.Don't trust your eyes if the hose looks good it could still be sucking wind below where your eyes /can see.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Local machinist recommended Bars Block Seal. Put it in, run the engine up to temperature, drain it out and leave block drains out overnight.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 2:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rick

The stop leak tablets work well as does some stuff called Blue Devil - it's a liquid.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 3:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fired it back up today and brought it up to temp, no leaks! So im hoping it was just residual from the temp sensor or just being a new motor, but all is well.

I completely agree it feels like a vacuum leak. It likes rpms and doesnt like to idle. If I bring the timing down to around 16* it really doesnt like it/want to run. I then have to throttle up to get the mechanical to kick in and it runs well.

If you open throttle blades and give it some of the squirter it begins to rev just fine, then if you let go and return the throttle to idle it stays revved for a second and then slowly comes back down and starts running rough. It just gives me the feeling that it has tons of air and is starving for fuel to mix with it. Ill check it over, I have replaced all the lines and capped everything I didnt have to have to get this thing broke in.

This is when collecting other peoples junk doesnt help, I have 3 carbs. A 600 VS, a 625 VS and a 750 DP. The 600 has been on a shelf for 6 years, the 625 needs a rebuild, and the 750 needs to be gone through. The 625 is what has been on my small block and has typically been a great carb, but it has sat and is a mess. So im going to get a kit and go through it cleaning everything out and use that one. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks again guys! Its going to get there!

Oh and just to add, it runs 180* and has 50lbs of oil pressure. So im thinking internals are ok. I am going to check the valves again just to make sure im not missing anything.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 4:20 PM
Tech Team
Graham

Good thing you didn’t pull the head...
68-13427 and fayetteguy like this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 3:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Very good thing I didnt pull the head!

Well I took a stab at it again today, and got nothing. It would spit and sputter and just didnt even think about sound right. Would even crank all the way up.

This is where it gets emotional for me, although for everyone else its probably just normal figuring it out. When set the pre-load on the cam it was on a stand, did it the exact same way as when i built a 355 with my uncle (the one whos car I am working on). We went to fire that motor up and nothing seemed wrong but it just wouldnt run right. When through a bunch of stuff and ultimately it was a bunch of stuff. At the time he thought the valves were to tight, but ended up being ok.

Fast forward to today, im staring at this motor and i just have this strange feeling and thought that comes over me of (the valves are really too tight this time. Loosen them up and give it a shot). Its really difficult to explain but it wasnt like it was my thought....anyways, I go through and loosen the valves. Actually reset them, just not as tight. Hit the starter button and it fired instantly. No hesitation, no skipping, would run at an idle, acted the way it was supposed to. I set the timing and for good measure took it back to 2K rpms again and it sounded like it should.

Hopefully nothing got hurt the first time, im hoping that since this motor was rebuilt back in the mid 90's and then sat that the cam has a fighting chance compared to todays. I still need to sort out a permanent carb, i used my 625 demon from my 355 for now, but it needs to go back to my nova.

Thanks again for the help guys!
GuysMonteSS likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 3:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Exactly how are you setting the valves?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 3:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Set number one tdc, then rotated 90 at a time working my way through the cylinders.

This is where my mistake was, I would spin and as the spinning got tight would give it an extra half turn. What I did today was jiggle up and down until the play was gone and then gave it a half turn. The pushrod still spun between fingers this way. I think I was just running them down wayyyy to far. Pushrods were still straight and no funny noises while running.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 4:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayetteguy View Post
Very good thing I didnt pull the head!

Hopefully nothing got hurt the first time, im hoping that since this motor was rebuilt back in the mid 90's and then sat that the cam has a fighting chance compared to todays.

Thanks again for the help guys!
It's not todays cams as much as it is todays oils,if it's a hydraulic flat cam then it needs the oils that contain the zinc and other non wearing additives or at the least a can of the right additive every oil change.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 20, 4:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
It's not todays cams as much as it is todays oils,if it's a hydraulic flat cam then it needs the oils that contain the zinc and other non wearing additives or at the least a can of the right additive every oil change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in