What do you think of this build for a 66 Malibu - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By senna

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 5:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

What do you think of this build for a 66 Malibu

The 327 & PG is gone, it has a 350 block , high nickel 4 bolt, I am thinking the short block is stock except for a cam change.. Tired so it needs a rebuild. Thinking of using the new aluminum camel heads from speedway, an old 66 aluminum intake, have the block bored & honed, and a 600cf holley from 66. Undecided on the cam; but leaning towards a hydraulic. Currently has roller rockers. Don't know the crank; but thinking cast iron (76 Truck block). It has a 350 TH maybe change that to 200R transmission. Currently has a 10 bolt posi that needs a rebuild with 3.55 gears that replaced original 3.08. I plan to rebuild the posi and possibly use a set of 3.36 gears I have. I also have a 66 12 bolt with 3.31 gears I could use. Also it currently has had the front brakes converted to disc and a fast ratio power steering gear change and original 66 tilt steering column.

Use for the street and highway only, its a convertible.

Looking for opinions and Ideas as I plan to do the rebuild this coming winter. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 6:25 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: What do you think of this build for a 66 Malibu

Is keeping the budget as small as possible the goal?

Is nostalgia part of the goal?

If it were me, I would buy aluminum heads with the bolt pattern on the front and back, why limit their application when they're are not original anyway. No matter what heads I bought I would not assume they are good to go out of the box.

I would use a manifold with much newer technology as well.

Build it with 9.5 to 10 to1 compression and a hydraulic roller cam if possible.

A cast crank is fine as long as it's in good condition.

And definitely balance the assembly.

This would produce a easy 350 hp in an very mild mannered engine, with great drivability and reliability.

I would definitely use an overdrive transmission.

Gear ratio would depend on a few factors, like cam, tire size etc. You could run what you have and make that decision later.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 8:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you ever want to get rid of that 66 12 bolt shoot ma a pm.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 2:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
If you ever want to get rid of that 66 12 bolt shoot ma a pm.

There is a guy in Maple Grove, MN that has a 66 12 bolt for sale on Minneapolis Craigs list under Chevelle.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 2:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

[QUOTE=senna;11331968]Is keeping the budget as small as possible the goal?

Not Really, just don't want to waist $'s

Nostalgia (Kind of) Would like it to look like a L79 even though it was not available in 66.

I don't think I would use the accessories holes as I would use a stock looking AC, Alternator, and PS Pump, etc. But who knows down the line with a new owner, probably good to have just incase. Or is there something I am not considering? I've seen some builds with 327 or 350 with old iron camel heads and the winters intake make in the neighborhood of 400HP and 400TQ, which I thought would satisfy most convertible owners. Would a new aftermarket intake make much difference.

Regarding the heads, are you hinting toward having the heads bought bare and have an engine guy installed the valves, springs, etc?

Yes a hydraulic roller cam and lifters would be nice and add around $800. Plan to use a stock looking distributor converted to electronic.

I would like it to run of 91 Non-oxy at a minimum. Wondering what kind of pistons and rods would be best for this kind of engine. Thanks for the ideals.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 4:05 PM
Tech Team
Troy

If you already own the older intake, that's one thing, if you have to buy one, I personally would buy a more current one.

On the heads. Buying preassymbled heads is fine for cost savings. I would just make sure the quality of the parts is good. Make sure the springs are compatible with the cam. And I like quality valve job, not a mass produced valve job. There is a lot to be gained with a propper valve job, or alot to be lost with a sloppy valve job.

You can give two different people the same parts and one could have the potential to vastly out perform the other buy paying attention to the details.

When I built my current LS3 I bought a set of GM preassymbled heads. Sent them out and had a very nice valve job including blending the bowels, no port work and they out flowed many of the high end aftermarket heads.

On the pistons and rods. Once again on my LS3 I used those Scat H beam rods, very affordable. I do own the micrometers and dial bore gauge to check a lot of these parts myself, but they were good out of the box.

The pistons, there's a huge selection. Hyperutectic are good, Forged are better. But you have to know stoke, rod lenght and combustion chamber size to make a propper choice.

Just an FYI. I spent many years building engines for many high end racing classes. I'm not bragging just clarifying where my thought process come from.

If you have a good machine shop that you would use, l would discuss some of this with them as well. They hate when you bring parts you "read about on the internet".

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Pete 67 likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 4:13 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

Get it running and driving, using whatever, and then fix stuff.

I would rebuilt the 350 shortblock to stockish, but with forged pistons. Go cheap and redo the stock heads of go aluminum. New good heads are not much more than the cost of new heads.

Go overdrive, it makes the car useable. I like my tko 600.

Add ac.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 5:16 PM
Tech Team
Eric

If you want an aluminum head to mimic the double hump look, you've got two choices. Trick Flow and Speedway Motors.

Out-of-the-box, the Trick Flow are better flowing, the Speedway are rather lackluster in that respect and really need someone to do at least a basic mild port job for them to match the Trick Flow potential.
Trick Flow is USA made, Speedway are imported.

The "high nickel" stock block thing is an often repeated myth. Chevrolet never cast any stock blocks with a nickel content iron alloy. Those cast numbers in the timing cover area and back of block , the "010" and "020" that are mistakenly described as supposedly meaning 1% or 2% nickel are just casting core end plate numbers, so that after the block is cast and the sand all busted away from it the foundry workers can identify which core pieces were used if they find a problem with a run of castings. Each block mold has something like 7 or 8 individual core parts in it to make a complete mold, once it is assembled, and then poured with metal, there would be no way to identify which core pieces were used without those numbers.
This info was posted on just about every Chevy board about 10 years ago by a retired Flint foundry employee who explained it all.

The only special detail on any stock SBC blocks are the 350 blocks with the number "2482" cast on the 3 center 4-bolt main caps....these are better nodular iron caps instead of plain grey iron. Block itself isn't anything special.

Only Chevy blocks to have any special metal content are the Bowtie performance blocks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 12:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
There is a guy in Maple Grove, MN that has a 66 12 bolt for sale on Minneapolis Craigs list under Chevelle.
I’ll put you down fora maybe then...

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 4:36 AM
Senior Tech Team

Eric is correct...use the TFS 175 camel humps...speedway is just another name for Pro Comp garbage.
Good luck

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in