• 1 Post By Ericnova72
  • 1 Post By spoffie1962
  • 1 Post By spoffie1962

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1970 Chevelle 307 Reassembly location

Hello all,

I have torn down my 307 in my 1970 Chevelle. I am putting it back together now with vortec heads and intake. My car came factory with the 307 no air, no power steering, and no power brakes.

I bought all the pulleys and brackets from a member last fall to convert my car over to power steering with the option of adding AC later. I am putting everything back together and I am a little lost. My shop manual is a bit confusing and I am hoping someone out there can tell me how these brackets go so I can install my parts and break in my motor. Here are all the brackets and pulleys I have. I appreciate the help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200629_13_07_23_Pro.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	631512   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200629_13_07_37_Pro.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	631514   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200629_13_07_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	631516   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200629_13_07_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	631518  

Name:	WIN_20200629_13_07_56_Pro.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	631520  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 7:47 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Re: 1970 Chevelle 307 Reassembly location

Bracket you are holding in picture #3 is the power steering pump to waterpump leg bracket, it fits around the passenger side of the steering pump body while the upper section in picture #4 fastens to the bolt boss on the driver side water pump leg. Slotted hole goes to boss/stud on bottom back of steering pump

Bracket on the right in picture #5 bolts to the front face of the driver side of the steering pump, the slotted end swings past the front of the exhaust manifold and connects to a bracket there, which is the bracket in the center in Picture #5.
That bracket on the left pic #5 lower end bolts under at the motor mount to block bolts, at the upper end at the front exhaust manifold bolt, and the bolt currently sticking in the bracket faces the front of the car and is the one the slot in the other bracket slides on for belt adjustment.

Picture #2, small tubular bracket at the 5:30 o'clock spot is part of the alternator brackets set, not the power steering, the little tab on it bolts to the lug on the back of the alternator case and the tube section lines up with the long thru-bolt passage on the side of the alternator case to be a tube spacer for the long bolt to pass through that holds the alternator to the cylinder head.
s1nemesis1s likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericnova72 View Post
Bracket you are holding in picture #3 is the power steering pump to waterpump leg bracket, it fits around the passenger side of the steering pump body while the upper section in picture #4 fastens to the bolt boss on the driver side water pump leg. Slotted hole goes to boss/stud on bottom back of steering pump

Bracket on the right in picture #5 bolts to the front face of the driver side of the steering pump, the slotted end swings past the front of the exhaust manifold and connects to a bracket there, which is the bracket in the center in Picture #5.
That bracket on the left pic #5 lower end bolts under at the motor mount to block bolts, at the upper end at the front exhaust manifold bolt, and the bolt currently sticking in the bracket faces the front of the car and is the one the slot in the other bracket slides on for belt adjustment.

Picture #2, small tubular bracket at the 5:30 o'clock spot is part of the alternator brackets set, not the power steering, the little tab on it bolts to the lug on the back of the alternator case and the tube section lines up with the long thru-bolt passage on the side of the alternator case to be a tube spacer for the long bolt to pass through that holds the alternator to the cylinder head.
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time and effort to help me with this - THANK YOU!!!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 8:34 AM
Tech Team

Ericnova72 gave you a good description so here's some pictures to go along with that. I do have headers so the lower A/C bracket is left off (no issues with that BTW) but hopefully the pics help a little.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brackets3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	631604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets2.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	631606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets1.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	631608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets4.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	631610  

Name:	Brackets5.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	631612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets6.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	631614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets7.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	631616  
123pugsy likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 8:35 AM
Tech Team

One more-
If you need more detailed photos just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brackets8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	631618  
123pugsy likes this.

Last edited by spoffie1962; Jun 30th, 20 at 8:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in