• 1 Post By 68Chevele
  • 2 Post By jeff swisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 1:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Russ

How did this not wipe the lobe?

Someone clearly wasn't trying very hard when they made this lifter 😅

Also, how is it possible to not notice something like this during install??

This is from my 355. It's marked "cc-812", so I'm guessing it's the Comp 812.. I pulled the lifters because one had gone soft - I started getting a ticking sound, and was able to push one rocker down by hand (with a fairly hard push). That one still looks fairly good externally, aside from a little crusted on crud.

This lifter is from the next cylinder over, where I didn't have any problems. It's badly pitted on the face (you know, the most important part of the whole lifter), clearly from the factory. There's no way this pattern was created by the cam.

My question is, how did this not wipe the lobe? Is it because the cam just floated over the pitted area without grinding?

More importantly, what are the chances that the lobe won't wipe shortly after installing new lifters? I'm really hoping to not have to pull the motor out just yet.

Also - any recommendations on what to replace it with? This motor has a "big" cam, although I still don't know which one. It doesn't rev all that high due to low flowing heads, so maybe the cheap Summit ones would work for now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200628_130132_1593365165980.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	631404  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 3:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage
Re: How did this not wipe the lobe?

Crower cam saver lifters or howards direct lube but both are more expensive than the summit.

Have you removed the cam? You are sure the lobe is ok? Did you check the lift or how did you verified it was ok?

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 4:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Looks to me like the lifter sat on the lobe of the cam when moisture was present.
Sat long enough to allow the moisture to make rust pitted lifter.

I did some testing with different oils and rest preventatives for rifles and found out just how well Mobil synthetic does NOT work and how well Transmission fluid does not work when the metal is exposed to moisture.

Now for stuff that does sit for a long time before being used Gibbs has an oil that combats rust.

Not knowing if your engine sat for long periods between starts or if high moisture content was in the oil .. but looks like that could be the issue.
Malibu ss 64 mentioned good lifters .I have never had any issues with the Hydraulic Crower Cam savers.
I have them in my 57 chevy and it is all I have ran for over a decade for the flat tappet hydraulic lifter for my BBC and SBC engines.
Malibu ss 64 and 71350SS like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 8:51 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Russ,
Is this a new engine or one with a lot of hours on it ? I tend to agree with Jeff by looking at the pitted spot. I dont think that was there when the lifter was new.

Lifters dont "go" soft. The noisy one probably has some crud in it keeping it from working properly. I have never had an issue with Comps 812 lifters, no reason not to use them again.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

Most of the cams I have lost over the years were comp cams. The reason? who knows. Last year I used the Summit 1302 BBC cam and their lifters, worked great. What I did was use some real weak breaking springs and then change them after 30 minutes of break-in time.
427L88 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Russ

Hmm.. the bad spot really is shaped like the end of a lobe, isn't it? I managed to get some pics of the cam, and it does look like it's badly pitted as well. So.. I was wrong!

The motor is fairly new to me - came with the car two years ago, but I've put hardly any miles on it since then (less than 100 probably).

Something involving water definitely happened to it before I got it, because there appeared to be water in the oil, which never came back after I changed it. The oil cap was missing, so I always suspected the motor sat out in the rain before being dropped in, and that's where the water came from. Looking at it again, I am seeing what looks like rust on top of that head, down some of the pushrod holes, and down into the block.

Now I'm wondering what else might be damaged? Maybe my "future" motor upgrade will have to happen sooner than I planned?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200628_160850_1593398157270.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	631472  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 1:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

That looks to be done for.
At least you found it before it ruined everything.
Yes a rebuild is in order but you are not 200 miles from home when it would could have failed on you.
blue_69_malibu and 427L88 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 6:58 AM
Tech Team
Tyler

Either way why would you put a new lifter on an old flat tappet cam?!? With what I’ve been through the past couple months with cams, I’d be pulling it apart before it tears up the rest of the motor!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 8:23 AM
Tech Team

Looks like a lot of rust on the block above the lifter bore
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 20, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Russ

Looks like it did trash everything.. it just wasn't far enough progressed that it was really noticeable.

I think it would be kinda fun to rebuild it myself and turn it into a 383, but comparing costs (and considering the lack of air conditioning in my garage), I will probably just get a crate motor. I could always go back and rebuild it when the weather gets cooler.

ATK, Smeding and Blueprint all have a good selection of motors at decent prices. Mark Jones also shows a 467 on his website that looks quite affordable.. if that price is still close to accurate, that one might be a great pick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200703_202133_1593880334374.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	631988  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in