I'm ready to give up. - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

I'm ready to give up.

I've overcome quite a few issues while building my engine and after break in I thought I was done with the problems. I let my son take the car out and it's a long story but he overheated it to about 240 degrees and I'm not sure how long it was that hot before he realized it. I'm praying it didn't warp one of my heads and I'm sure it wasn't good for the new rings either. When I broke the engine in I was hearing a whistle but I didn't think much of it. I took it out last night after it had completely cooled down. It didn't wanna idle cold and I noticed my air fuel gauge wasn't reading it was pegged lean. I didn't think it was that lean but I guess it was I could feel the heat from the headers in the car and I hear the whistle while accelerating. When I got back I measured the header tube temps and they all where over 400 degrees. I'm hoping that's a good sign that there wasn't a cold one. I also noticed my intake gaskets are damp where the intake meets the head. I had a feeling the intake gasket was wrong. With the intake installed I can see the printo seal. I used a felpro 1206 the one recommended by brodix. I hooked up a vacuum gauge and its bouncing between 10 and 12 inches of vacuum. I really hope getting the right intake is all that's wrong. Is there anyway to know if the heads are ok besides them off? I have a edelbrock rpm intake and IK200 heads could you guys suggest a intake gasket? Sorry for the long post I'm about ready to give up with this project I can't take much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 8:05 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: I'm ready to give up.

Fix the intake and drive it and see what happens. Might not have hurt anything depending on how long he drove it. A lot of GM cars with aluminum heads have electric fans that dont turn on until 235 degrees and dont seem to have problems. This is why I tell people its best to have a couple of idiot lights along with gauges.

Why did it get hot ??? Thats the first thing you need to figure out. It was NOT because it was lean.
Steve R, 427L88 and shovelrick like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 8:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

I know what happened with the temperature. I have the fans wired to stay on until the sending unit cools down even with the key off. He was showing the car to his girlfriend's dad and unplugged the sending unit cause the fans are loud. He took his girlfriend for a ride and forgot to plug the sending unit back in he's pretty upset over it. When I took it out last night besides the idle issue and whistling it ran good so hopefully it's ok. Could you recommend a intake gasket?

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 9:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

I see that felpro has cut to fit intake gaskets. Does anyone have any experience using these gaskets?
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 10:24 PM

I would use felpro 1205 or 1206. Whatever fits the head better without blocking the ports. Probably the 1206 is a better fit for the IK’s and RPM intake.

Last edited by MW69Chevelle; Jun 23rd, 20 at 10:53 PM.
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW69Chevelle View Post
I would use felpro 1205 or 1206. Whatever fits the head better without blocking the ports. Probably the 1205 is a better fit for the IK’️s and RPM intake.
I have the 1206 on there now and the top of the manifold runner just catches the the bottom of the seal. I can see about half of the blue seal above the intake. I'll try the 1205
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 20, 11:00 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake2k View Post
I have the 1206 on there now and the top of the manifold runner just catches the the bottom of the seal. I can see about half of the blue seal above the intake. I'll try the 1205
You may need to go to the double thickness version to get better alignment than that, #1266 is the .120" thick 1206 port. The added thickness raising the intake helps it cover more at the top of the port.

There is also the .120" thick trim-to-fit #1245.

You can also double stack the regular gaskets, I typically use the Mr Gasket versions without the sealing bead when I glue two together like that, using Edelbrock Gasgasinch.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 12:14 AM
Gold Founding Member

On these older cars, the sending unit for the "HOT" light on the dash didn't turn the light on until 240--265 degrees, depending on which sending unit was installed.

For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 3:15 AM
Senior Tech Team

Be grateful you have a son.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 8:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Be grateful you have a son.
I'm very grateful he's a good kid. He's helped me with every step of the engine build. The car means as much to him as it does to me. I'm really hoping everything is okay more now for his sake. He's still pretty upset about it.
72soft-top and Jerry Briggs like this.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Ah, electric fans, NO, THANKS.

What other "tuning tricks", cooling system, ignition settings, and other maladies are in place, too??
BillK and boyd66k20 like this.
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 8:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post

What other "tuning tricks", cooling system, ignition settings, and other maladies are in place, too??
Besides hurting performance is there anything else to be concerned about using a smaller gasket that would cover part of the head ports?
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 8:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post

Besides hurting performance is there anything else to be concerned about using a smaller gasket that would cover part of the head ports?
I have an air fuel ratio gauge that's about it.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 8:52 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Nope, that's it, just hurts performance. Blocking part of the floor is a lot less of a performance issue than blocking part of the roof, or the sides....major flow path is high in the port. Sometimes a lip at the floor can actually help, wet fuel along the floor "trips" over it and is carried back into the airstream.
MW69Chevelle likes this.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 20, 9:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Sam

I'm probably hurting performance anyway with smaller manifold ports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in