• 2 Post By David Bates
  • 1 Post By RAIDER SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 20, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
BBC oil pressure sender

I'd appreciate some input. The 427 I built recently is nearing ready to fire, but one thing that is hanging me up is the oil pressure sender, which I have multiple problems with.

First is I insist on having both a light and a gauge. When I had a small block in it last, I built this to accommodate both:

It was fine in the small block, I could plumb it into the back of the block. With a big block, not so much. I think I want to find a way to mount it on the back of the driver's side cylinder head. I could use a different Tee or manifold with a mounting bracket, but I can't seem to find anything that will work.

The other issue I'm fighting is where it exits the block. Mine is a 4 bolt that has the large fitting there, and it's pointed rearward at the ground, right at the clutch linkage. This is the first 4 bolt block I've had, so I don't know if this is normal. I suspect the fitting has been there since the block was cast in 71. It would be fine with an automatic trans, but not going to work with mechanical clutch linkage. There isn't room to get a 90 degree fitting on it with the way it's made. I'm thinking of trying to remove the large fitting there are replacing it with one that comes straight out, as it does on 2 bolt blocks, but somehow I doubt it's going to want to budge.

Suggestions welcomed,

Devin

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 20, 1:32 AM
Team Member
Steamy

Wink Re: BBC oil pressure sender

Use one (or two) of the holes in the oil galley just above the oil pan on the left side. Plug the factory hole.
BillL
GuysMonteSS and 71350SS like this.

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 20, 8:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: BBC oil pressure sender

I would suggest using steel pipe nipples. I have had brass nipples crack and leak due to vibration.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 20, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

It's difficult to get a good pic of it, but this is the problem.

This is the 2 large plugs on the oil pan rail above the oil filter. The outlet port is pointed right at the clutch linkage. There's no room to get a 90 degree fitting in there. When I ran a 2 bolt block previously, it had the smaller fitting and came out straight.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 20, 1:06 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

If you don't mind the extra length line there is also a plug in the very front of the drivers side that you can use.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 20, 5:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

TC saves me again. I think I’ll use the one on the front

Thanks

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 20, 9:49 PM
Tech Team
John

You can also use a 45 deg out of the block, to a short length of braided line, to the sender(s). Mount the senders where ever it’s convenient.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 20, 7:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJohn View Post
You can also use a 45 deg out of the block, to a short length of braided line, to the sender(s). Mount the senders where ever it’s convenient.
This^^^. That's the way the OEM did it with this BBC 45° fitting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBC_Oil_Pressure_Fitting_1s.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	630300  
427L88 and Saltherring like this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 20, 8:24 AM
Team Member
Gene

My 67 looks like a 69 with that fitting and an electric guage.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 20, 10:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

I too wanted the factory idiot light along with my mechanical pressure gauge, but I didn't want all that plumbing hanging off the block near the clutch z-bar.

I ran just the small copper line from the block thru the firewall to under the dash. (uses least plumbing on the block) Under the dash is where I installed a tee on the line and installed the oil light sending unit on the tee and then a copper line from the tee to the mechanical gauge. Problem solved.

The only downside was I had to run the blue oil sending light wire from outside of the firewall back thru the firewall so I could attach it to the oil sending unit now relocated to behind the dash. NBD.

I grew a 3d printed bracket to hold the tee to a dash support arm behind the dash, but you could just cable tie the tee down to a support as well.
davewho1 likes this.

66 Malibu......back to life, now with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 20, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
This^^^. That's the way the OEM did it with this BBC 45° fitting!
This fitting in the block is what is giving me trouble from the start. It's pointed right at the clutch linkage, and I don't think I can even get a copper line on it without interference issues.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 20, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
I too wanted the factory idiot light along with my mechanical pressure gauge, but I didn't want all that plumbing hanging off the block near the clutch z-bar.

I ran just the small copper line from the block thru the firewall to under the dash. (uses least plumbing on the block) Under the dash is where I installed a tee on the line and installed the oil light sending unit on the tee and then a copper line from the tee to the mechanical gauge. Problem solved.

The only downside was I had to run the blue oil sending light wire from outside of the firewall back thru the firewall so I could attach it to the oil sending unit now relocated to behind the dash. NBD.

I grew a 3d printed bracket to hold the tee to a dash support arm behind the dash, but you could just cable tie the tee down to a support as well.
The copper line and wiring is not a big deal, it's getting away from the linkage that's the problem.

I had originally planned to use that fitting and run it to my Tee mounted to the back of the cylinder head, but I don't think I can get a copper line out of the way and my fabrication skills are lacking to make it mount to anything.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 20, 7:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
This fitting in the block is what is giving me trouble from the start. It's pointed right at the clutch linkage, and I don't think I can even get a copper line on it without interference issues.

Devin
I believe that fitting should be oriented pointing up fwiw. Yours appears to be pointing down which would definitely make things difficult if not impossible as you are experiencing. Your fitting also appears to be seated very deeply into the block which is problematic.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 20, 3:16 PM

As others have offered, I ran an oil line from the block fitting up the back of the block and over to the fender well under the power brake. There I mounted both the electric gauge sender and warning light sender. I used a "T" fitting much like yours to connect both senders to the oil line. This arrangement is not all that noticeable and allows for sufficient clearance for any linkage in the area of the block fitting. My brass block fitting does however face up, so that may create a clearance problem if yours does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in