15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 5:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Finally spec'd my BBC 427 build, OPINIONS WANTED

Give me your thoughts on this.

Mark IV 454 block
6223 crankshaft, 3.76 stroke
781 heads, Stainless valve 2.12-1.81 or 2.19-1.72, mild bowl blend and smoothing around the guides.
Holley750 DP
Edelbrock Air Gap intake
Comp stainless pro magnum roller rockers
JE/SRP pistons with -30.00 dome ( could use an ICON piston with -28.20 to drop compression a little if needed )
Howard's GEN 6 roller cam 120326-10

https://www.howardscams.com/hydrauli...cams-120326-10

Should have 9.8 static compression and 7.6 dynamic compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 6:00 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Re: Finally spec'd my BBC 427 build, OPINIONS WANTED

Not sure i understand the reasoning for the 3.76 stroke but using a hydraulic cam.....it's a 427 baby, feed it some RPM and rev it up!

I'd got to 850-950 carb too, especially on a divided plenum intake where each cylinder can only pull off 1/2 of the carb. Dual planes need a bigger carb for a given power range than a single plane does for that reason..

The 781 heads really need a full-on bowl blend on the intake side, with larger valves and the short side turn laid back to correct how bad it is in stock form.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 6:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Why limit yourself to 427 Cubic Inch Displacement (Howard's Gen 6 is a 454 - 502 stick. there's no replacement for displacement)?

What Transmission and rear axel ratio (Holley recommends a Vacuum Secondary with an Automatic. A DP will work with a fairly high stall speed and rear gears)?

Don't know nothin' just askin'.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 6:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bowl blend and short turn will definitely get attention.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 7:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post

Why limit yourself to 427 Cubic Inch Displacement (Howard's Gen 6 is a 454 - 502 stick. there's no replacement for displacement)?

What Transmission and rear axel ratio (Holley recommends a Vacuum Secondary with an Automatic. A DP will work with a fairly high stall speed and rear gears)?

It is very tempting to build a 454; but I have always wanted an iron headed 427. When the day comes to go bigger, I will most likely buy aluminum heads. Goin for that old school look this go around.
I have a TH400 transmission and Dana 60 with 3.54 gears. I have considered a vacuum secondary carb, could happen.
davewho1 likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 7:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454chevy View Post
It is very tempting to build a 454; but I have always wanted an iron headed 427. When the day comes to go bigger, I will most likely buy aluminum heads. Goin for that old school look this go around.
I have a TH400 transmission and Dana 60 with 3.54 gears. I have considered a vacuum secondary carb, could happen.
You can put iron heads on a 454. I have a 454 in my car, but the Air Cleaner sticker says 427. The sticker could just as well say 396, nobody knows but me... and now you!

Don't tell anyone.
shovelrick likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 7:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

An Air Gap intake goes against the old school look.

Steve R
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 8:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
An Air Gap intake goes against the old school look.

Steve R
True.

Just goin with a theme, iron engine with headers, aluminum intake and some M/T valve covers.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 8:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
You can put iron heads on a 454. I have a 454 in my car, but the Air Cleaner sticker says 427. The sticker could just as well say 396, nobody knows but me... and now you!

Don't tell anyone.
Very tempting, but I just gotta do a 427.
427L88, rodent4 and Kopfjaeger like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 8:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:

I am using the Gen 6 cam so I don’t have to use a thrust button. All I need is a retainer plate and Gen 6 timing set.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 11:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Judging by your compression, gear ratio and cam choice, I take it that this is intended to be a driver? Usage makes a big difference in parts. As a driver, I would expect it to have a rowdy idle, and pretty good pull to 5500-6000 or so.

If you haven't bought your parts yet, I would suggest stepping up to a 4.25 crank..More of everything you want and no visible difference.

I'm just about finished on a similar build myself. 4.310x3.76, mild hydraulic roller cam, 990 heads only because I had them, factory dual plane intake, 10.0:1 compression. I am just after a driver, and would have gone either 396 or 427 depending on which block I could find that was in best condition. I actually wanted the smaller engine for better fuel mileage if you can imagine that. I'll run a 750 vacuum secondary carb, and spend a bit of time getting it just right for my combination.

Devin
454chevy likes this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
Judging by your compression, gear ratio and cam choice, I take it that this is intended to be a driver? Usage makes a big difference in parts. As a driver, I would expect it to have a rowdy idle, and pretty good pull to 5500-6000 or so.

If you haven't bought your parts yet, I would suggest stepping up to a 4.25 crank..More of everything you want and no visible difference.

I'm just about finished on a similar build myself. 4.310x3.76, mild hydraulic roller cam, 990 heads only because I had them, factory dual plane intake, 10.0:1 compression. I am just after a driver, and would have gone either 396 or 427 depending on which block I could find that was in best condition. I actually wanted the smaller engine for better fuel mileage if you can imagine that. I'll run a 750 vacuum secondary carb, and spend a bit of time getting it just right for my combination.

Devin
Yes, this is a weekend cruiser. I already have the block and crank, gonna stay with the 427.
RR24 likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 20, 11:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454chevy View Post
Very tempting, but I just gotta do a 427.
you guys get romantic with numbers. It will be down 30 ft lbs but you can sleep at night because its 427 cubic inches . Maybe just start figuring in lifters and you wont have a prob with a 496. just giving you a hard time. Atleast it's a 4.25 bore
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 20, 8:56 AM
Banned

I accidentally revved my solid roller 427 to 7500 rpm at the track last month. I normally shift at 6400.

Well...no damage and it sure felt good. That's why I like a 396 or 427.

Build whtcha want I always say.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 20, 9:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Might as well do a 496 and put 427 stickers on it. All the car cruise/show experts are going to tell it's just a mongrul and not a "REAL" 427 anyway.
shovelrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in