Storing Engine Block - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Storing Engine Block

Can anyone give me tips on storing a engine block. Looking to keep the corrosion to a minimum or none. What are the main areas that are a concern, and what have others done. any special products other than just oil everything down.

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!

Boosted Beaumont Build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 12:10 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Storing Engine Block

Chris,
Has it been run or freshly machined ? How long are you going to store it ? Where are you going to store it, out in a shed or in a heated garage ? I have blocks that have been stored for 10 years and I have done nothing special but they are inside and the temperature does not vary a whole lot. Plastic bags seem to make things worse as they hold moisture. Guys smear the cylinders with grease and invariably moisture gets behind the grease and makes things worse. Let me know some more details and I will give you my suggestions.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Chris,
Has it been run or freshly machined ? How long are you going to store it ? Where are you going to store it, out in a shed or in a heated garage ? I have blocks that have been stored for 10 years and I have done nothing special but they are inside and the temperature does not vary a whole lot. Plastic bags seem to make things worse as they hold moisture. Guys smear the cylinders with grease and invariably moisture gets behind the grease and makes things worse. Let me know some more details and I will give you my suggestions.
yes it was running when I pulled it down about 5 months ago. Timeframe for storing is unknown, just keeping this 502 block around as a spare. could be long period of time before getting used again. It will be stored in my garage, usually heated to 75F year round, even through winter.

1968 Beaumont
540 BBC + 15psi Boost via Single Garrett GTX
Stock looking, and fairly stock sounding
HP and ET not determined yet!

Boosted Beaumont Build:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 12:56 PM
Tech Team
Chris

X2 on not using a plastic bag with fluctuating temps. Kept my 454 short block in a bag and oiled. Every 6 months I would rotate it and again wipe down the cylinders. Non-heated garage but I would use a kerosene heater most winter weekends. Probably would warm up 20 degrees or so.

Fast forward 10 years and all my parts are at the machine shop. I get a call that my cylinder walls are shot. It was not a marine block but when they tried honing and then boring the block this corrosion starting appearing. I will try to find a pic.

Got another block and it’s now built and in the car.

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
468 ci, TH 400, 3:73 posi
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 1:03 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Cylinder wall corrosion
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B5B69930-6B56-4E23-B2CD-90BAF5EFE520_1590167001668.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	627614  

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
468 ci, TH 400, 3:73 posi
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 1:11 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
yes it was running when I pulled it down about 5 months ago. Timeframe for storing is unknown, just keeping this 502 block around as a spare. could be long period of time before getting used again. It will be stored in my garage, usually heated to 75F year round, even through winter.

Chris,
If that is the case then just shove it under the bench and put a blanket over it to keep the dirt out and it will be fine. I have a Mercruiser 502 short block sitting under my assembly bench that has been there for at least three years and still looks exactly like it did when I put it there except for the dust on it
427L88 likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 1:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

Coat the machined surfaces with 140 weight diff fluid. The rest with spray oil and bag it. Have a peek every few months.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 1:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Oil it and bag it up. There are plastig bags with corrosion inhibitor(VCI).
We use them at work to ship untreated parts overseas.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 2:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Cosomoline...Uncle Sam used it for long term storage of rifles, etc. FWIW ...I bought a bunch of Kellogs KEL 57300 "Black Oil Spray" for long term storage of machined parts over 15 yrs ago (or more), parts are still like the day they were done. Gooey, slimy, sticks to anything, everything only way to remove it is wipe it off or gasoline or kerosene or fuel oil as a solvent. Their ad states "goes on like a 10W oil, dries to a 600W grease". Prices vary from $8.91 to 36.70 for a spray can, True Value may be your best price, either on line or if your localTrue Value dealer has a "deal". Research it, if it's what you want check everyones price. I still have about a case and a half left from my original purchase, good stuff for long term storage.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 3:11 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec710 View Post
Cosomoline...Uncle Sam used it for long term storage of rifles, etc. FWIW ...I bought a bunch of Kellogs KEL 57300 "Black Oil Spray" for long term storage of machined parts over 15 yrs ago (or more), parts are still like the day they were done. Gooey, slimy, sticks to anything, everything only way to remove it is wipe it off or gasoline or kerosene or fuel oil as a solvent.

The only problem with any of that type of stuff is that your machine shop will kill you when you bring it to them and they have to get it off
LeoP likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 3:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Coat machined services with bearing grease and bag it.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 4:21 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I was waiting to hear Bill K's reply as he is a professional builder. I would have sprayed it down with WD40.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 4:37 PM
Tech Team
John

Lubriplate open gear lube L0152-03. Have a 66 L79 that's been in storage for more than 15 years on a stand in a pole barn. Heads are off. I spray them down every 6 months and roll the crank a few revolutions and throw the cover back on them. It still looks fine. I also like cosmoline for some parts.
Place I work at had some car parts (One of a kind type) from the early 20's dipped in cosmoline stored in a large crate in a quonset hut. A Eng. was assigned to clean the hut out and didn't know what the parts were or what they were for...he through them out. Owner of the company made a visit a week later because he caught wind of the hut being clean out and wanted to make sure his grandfathers crate was still there.....Needless to say the Eng. didn't work there any longer after the visit. For very long storage cosmoline is the best.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 5:24 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

They have some expensive oil often called pickle or knuckle oil that"s often used for aviation engine storage, we have used it to preserve engines out in the gulf of mexico and it works great, but if you can't find or afford it an other good method is to fill it up with diesel (the red farm diesel), fill everything up to the brim. Can verify on the diesel method, we had an engine sitting out in that salt for almost ten years and there was no internal damage, can't say the same for the outside of the engine though. Also when we have engine parts coated in Cosomoline we usually soak them in diesel to get that stuff off.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Listen to BillK, he does this work for a living,you won't go wrong!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in