Team Chevelle banner

SBC Valve Stem Seals

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  redrocket1953 
#1 ·
I'm working on a friends low mileage 64 327. It needs gaskets and seals. I took the heads and valve springs off and it has those small O-rings on the valves. They were all broken and very brittle. Do I replace those with just new ones or use the umbrella type seal also? I have a set of both in my stash of gaskets. Thanks.

#2 ·
Use both. At the same time.

#3 ·
Randy,
The valve guide bosses on those early heads is usually too big to use an umbrella seal. There should be a metal splash shield under the retainer that accomplishes the same thing as an umbrella seal. Just replace the o-rings and get on with it.

#4 ·
Thanks again Bill. I'll do that. I think the umbrella seals I have here are for a BB anyway. They seem to be too big for the inside of the valve spring. This engine is like new on the inside. No ridge and can still see some cross hatching. I was thinking of taking the lifters apart and cleaning them rather than replace them. The cam lobes and lifter faces look fine and I worry about new lifters on an old cam. So far the only issue I see is carbon buildup on the pistons, valves and ports.

#6 ·
Fel Pro number for the umbrella seals is SS10058.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.