Team Chevelle banner

Flooded?

618 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave Ray 
#1 ·
Hey my 66 is totally flooded I rebuild carb a few months ago and just doesn't start right had it running a week ago, I replaced spark plugs since they were black all other tune up stuff is new, it just runs rich can't figure it out, but when u look down carb and open it up you can see gas puddle up in intake, I tried pushing gas peddle in and starting, how do I get gas out of intake? Floats were all set to spec idk I'm stumped its a 194ci 6cyl

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Just commenting again if anyone has any ideas I'm at a loss I took carb off adjusted floats better everything else on carb looked good soaked up gas in intake , points were good, I put new vac advance on thermostat coil on carb prior, was sprucing it up a bit since old owner didn't care how engine looked repainted engine, and other parts but put everything back just how it was, now it just cranks but doesn't even attempt to start, was running prior to this, where do I start

#3 ·
Back to basics, spark and fuel. Check spark with a dummy plug. Ensure carb is full enough by seeing if accelerator pump has good flow.

" I put new vac advance on thermostat coil on carb prior" you lost me here , but I have been called a knucklehead before. Vacuum advance ought mean zero for start up. Thermo coil on carb is choke. So now I suspect the choke is at fault. Or are you referring to the vacuum dashpot, i.e, the choke pull off dashpot? That opens the choke upon start up. It is essential.

Where in WNY are you?

#4 ·
Back to basics, spark and fuel. Check spark with a dummy plug. Ensure carb is full enough by seeing if accelerator pump has good flow.

" I put new vac advance on thermostat coil on carb prior" you lost me here , but I have been called a knucklehead before. Vacuum advance ought mean zero for start up. Thermo coil on carb is choke. So now I suspect the choke is at fault. Or are you referring to the vacuum dashpot, i.e, the choke pull off dashpot? That opens the choke upon start up. It is essential.

Where in WNY are you?
Hey sorry I was rushing but I put a new choke pull off and choke thermostat, only because they were inexpensive and thought it would help considering the age fairly easy swap, I'm assuming pump has good flow it shoots out gas into carb well I'll have to check spark somehow since that's what it seems but idk I'm in Wheatfield

#5 ·
If you continue to have issue, I can grab a buddy and our "protective gear" and drive up. ( Ilm in Hamburg and he in Depew) Somehow, those two new things replaced have caused the non-start issue?

Wind chill of 20 tomorrow, ; tell me she's inside! :eek:

Reactions: gman628
#7 ·
Hey Team, the old fart had to show the young buck what a "C hair" was...... "around 5-10 thou" as we reset the points. .016-.20 is a BIG c-hair! ;)

Gosh, I haven't set points in years, And that's how they taught us in the 70's kids! :)

Matt has a SUPER nice survivor 66 300 Delux post car. Which is now running!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.