Team Chevelle banner

Instructions for divorced choke rigging

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Commok 
#1 ·
My new to me 1970 SS 454 LS6 clone came with the Holley divorced choke missing the choke rod. So I bought the kit to replace the rod, and now am in need of how to rig it. Do I pretension the spring? Which direction? Any pictures or diagrams wold be much appreciated as all the manuals I have do not show detail....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that the correct choke coil for a Holley carb?

Based on the window of the choke coil cover, the bimetallic spring will be pre-tensioned "forward".

Do you have a choke rod? If not, you're going to have to bend one to fit. Put a bigass U-bend into it so it can be opened-up to make the rod longer, or squeezed tighter to shorten it. Use thick enough steel rod that the link won't bend in-use. Home-made rods usually have the upper end drilled for a tiny spring clip.

From there, it's just a matter of adjusting the length so that it opens the choke in an appropriate amount of time. DO NOT adjust the choke rod length based on how you think the choke should SHUT.

https://www.chevelles.com/techref/Adjusting_Automatic_Chokes.htm

#3 ·
Thanks Schurkey! I do have the choke rod, but am unsure if this is the correct rod, or choke coil, for this engine build. The fact that it was disconnected when I bought it leads me to think I am not the first person to question how it should function. Here are pics of it (I bought the kit from NPD, including cover, choke coil and choke rod, advertised as for 1970 BBC Holley) installed, but it binds, and I didn't see how it could open the choke without manual intervention. I am thinking its time for me to find a pro that knows Holleys and BBCs...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.