Team Chevelle banner

Hot 502 maintenance??

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cv67 
#1 ·
I’ve got a 502 dual holly 650 hp 4bl tunnel ram port polished heads big custom cam arp studs everywhere use race oil running prob 6-7 hp what extra maintenance I should expect besides oil changes more frequently? In a 69 chevelle street fighter th400 built for 1000 hp Ford 9 in Dutchman axles

#4 ·
Sounds like regular maintenance is all that required. Unless it has sat for a long time, you have no motor history etc.

Reactions: boyd66k20
#5 ·
Check the valve lash once in a while, keep an ear open for any unusual sounds, keep an eye on the oil pressure and water temp. Checking the valve lash occasionally will find failing valve train parts.

#6 ·
I agree on the valve lash. Unfortunately, checking valve lash is only trying to catch a failure in its early stages. It does nothing to prevent it. Just hopefully cuts the cost of your potential failure.

One thing for a semi race engine, is don't let it idle too long. Don't start it just to hear it run or to impress your friends. IF you are not going to get it hot, don't start it.

#7 ·
Get your A/F right...get the #s close to textbook at idle,cruise and WOT then adjust to where it runs best. With lots of overlap I change the oil often and as others said I ck cold lash once in awhile. Just a few randome ones. Few mi, well under 100 but been together for yrs.
If you hear noise increasing thats your cue.
Valve springs are a maintenance item with any big cam but I wouldnt sweat it.
Floating valves, revving the pee out of it when cold etc shorten life.
To me if it needed something but ran right I dont care its not like they are daily driven sitting in hrs of traffic every day

Bulletproof your cooling system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.