Engine General Engine Discussion.

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 4:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Valvetrain noise won't go away, please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadA$$68SS View Post
Long story short, I was having a clacking noise in the valvetrain which you'll hear in the video, so I replaced the lifters with Johnson hydraulic roller lifters, custom pushrods and new springs to match and the noise is still there. I adjusted the valves multiple times and multiple different ways. What else could this noise be? Could I have a bad roller rocker? I'm losing my mind over this...

https://youtu.be/Yv6uLVnm7RM

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I dont know what the issue is but I have an inline six (Ford) with the same issue after rebuild. Different animal (engine wise) but the exact same sound. Hope you figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 4:52 AM
Tech Team

65 cayne.I built a 300 6 once and the pushrod socket in the rocker arms were so worn they would not allow oil to come out of the puhrod....sounds crazy but true story.light relief in the socket with a dremel to prove theory and all was well...replaced rocker arms and never took the cover off again....off topic but....
post #48 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 11:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Bill, did you get back home to Win or are you stuck in AZ??

Hi Bill nope been back home for about 3 weeks all good

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 6:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Zach

Same noise, I don't know where to go from here.

https://youtu.be/fAl1bKJKAgw

post #50 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 6:56 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Now I dont hear that one little "ball peen" sound. I best go back and listen , but the prior video I thought I heard one very distinct sound. that sounds like a roller valvetrain more. But it is loud.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #51 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 7:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Now I dont hear that one little "ball peen" sound. I best go back and listen , but the prior video I thought I heard one very distinct sound. that sounds like a roller valvetrain more. But it is loud.
I agree. I adjusted them while running, backed them off till a clack, turned in until it stops, then half turn. Should I be going more?

post #52 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 7:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Sounds the same as my solid roller.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #53 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 8:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I still think you should adjust with EOIC Running is ok for small cam but you need to get right on base circle and find zero lash from there
I know some will set preload on Race lifters for first time before intake goes on so they can see the plunger Is right up and not sticking ir collapsing with no pushrod play. Then preload 1 turn Or whatever then note where the adjuster set screw ends up So in the future if they redo preload the set screw Setting should be the same
When I see I see a rocker set screw end up different I know something is wrong

I would call Johnson and find out plunger travel and see if you can lash tighter
Race lifters have very tight tolerances between body and plunger sometimes it takes some miles to Quiet down but your noise is excessive but since it seems to be consistent tells me its in the way lifters preloaded If was just one or two clacking then thats different
I feel your pain I been thru this with 1000.00 plus Race lifters ( another brand)

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video

post #54 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 8:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Get you a good heavy glove and apply sideways pressure on each rocker with steady throttle, you should be able to find the noisy ones. Or get a heater hose and hold up to your ear.
hydro462 and Kirk like this.
post #55 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 8:37 PM
bbm
Team Member
Dan

Did you make sure pushrods are not "bottoming out" in the guide plate? Also Short travel lifters are usually a little noisy.
427L88 likes this.
post #56 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
I still think you should adjust with EOIC Running is ok for small cam but you need to get right on base circle and find zero lash from there
I know some will set preload on Race lifters for first time before intake goes on so they can see the plunger Is right up and not sticking ir collapsing with no pushrod play. Then preload 1 turn Or whatever then note where the adjuster set screw ends up So in the future if they redo preload the set screw Setting should be the same
When I see I see a rocker set screw end up different I know something is wrong

I would call Johnson and find out plunger travel and see if you can lash tighter
Race lifters have very tight tolerances between body and plunger sometimes it takes some miles to Quiet down but your noise is excessive but since it seems to be consistent tells me its in the way lifters preloaded If was just one or two clacking then thats different
I feel your pain I been thru this with 1000.00 plus Race lifters ( another brand)
The suggested preload on the box is .035 +/- .010. the total travel is .093.

post #57 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 10:43 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo55ss View Post
Get you a good heavy glove and apply sideways pressure on each rocker with steady throttle, you should be able to find the noisy ones. Or get a heater hose and hold up to your ear.
I like to use a wooden broom handle against my ear, you can put other end on header tube or intake port for each cylinder......the noisemakers will be obvious
71350SS likes this.
post #58 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 20, 10:30 AM
Tech Team
Bob

start with the intake rockers, with it running tighten the rocker until it kills that cylinder then back off as little as needed, I'm still interested in the oil pressure
post #59 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 20, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadA$$68SS View Post
I agree. I adjusted them while running, backed them off till a clack, turned in until it stops, then half turn. Should I be going more?

Sorry Zach, my experience has been with solid lifters, feeler gauges and utter precision. I had a pro build my 467, he set up the HR valvetrain, and I hope to not have to check it for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
I like to use a wooden broom handle against my ear, you can put other end on header tube or intake port for each cylinder......the noisemakers will be obvious
My "stethescope" is still 2.5' of 5/16" fuel line. Any form of "unidirectional mike" helps a ton to isolate.

Zach you DO have that brass-tipped fuel pump pushrod if mech pump? I bought two ( spare) from Straub Tech upon instructions from Vortechpro.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #60 of 106 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 20, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Zach

@427L88

Running an electric fuel pump

427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in