• 1 Post By jeff swisher
  • 1 Post By LeoP
  • 1 Post By TKG

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Aluminum Heads 1989 5.7l

Looking at which aluminum heads to get more hp out of my 5.7l center bolt roller cam engine. Currently has 305 heads on it since being at home thinking a lot about upgrades😂😂😂😂 has Edelbrock 2104 and 1406 carb would like to not have to buy new intake as mine is new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 2:39 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: Aluminum Heads 1989 5.7l

What pistons are in it ? The 305 heads are a lot smaller combustion chamber than most other heads and you will probably lose a bunch of compression by changing.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 2:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Trick flow makes some with your intake bolt pattern and small chambers like 56cc to 62 cc.
About $550 each on them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 7:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
What pistons are in it ? The 305 heads are a lot smaller combustion chamber than most other heads and you will probably lose a bunch of compression by changing.
I never opened it up but do have lighted snake camera can check. The engine was built and sold to me it was 350 short block and built with the 305 heads so if I change to 350 heads I am going to lose compression and hp?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 9:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Depends on chamber size of the 305 heads..They could be 70cc if someone opened them up.
That is one of those things you will not know until you get it apart.

I run 305 heads all the time on 350" and 385" engines..I really like them..But I port the snot out of them and they flat work.

Cranking pressures for my 268H cam 350 with 305 heads is 225PSI stick in a 280H cam and get 185 or so PSI.
That is with a 57cc chamber and .039" head gasket and flat top that is .013" down the hole.

If the 305 heads are NOT ported and you go with a good aftermarket head you will gain HP even if you have less compression.

How does it run.
Will it blow the tires off really easy?
What RPM does it want to be shifted at?

Do you know what your timing is at idle and at say 4500 rpm? With vacuum advance disconnected

If you are running a weak timing curve there may be a little power left on the table.
71350SS likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 10:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

L98 heads are aluminum factory heads, usually from a Corvette, good luck with your car!!
71350SS likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
Depends on chamber size of the 305 heads..They could be 70cc if someone opened them up.
That is one of those things you will not know until you get it apart.

I run 305 heads all the time on 350" and 385" engines..I really like them..But I port the snot out of them and they flat work.

Cranking pressures for my 268H cam 350 with 305 heads is 225PSI stick in a 280H cam and get 185 or so PSI.
That is with a 57cc chamber and .039" head gasket and flat top that is .013" down the hole.

If the 305 heads are NOT ported and you go with a good aftermarket head you will gain HP even if you have less compression.

How does it run.
Will it blow the tires off really easy?
What RPM does it want to be shifted at?

Do you know what your timing is at idle and at say 4500 rpm? With vacuum advance disconnected

If you are running a weak timing curve there may be a little power left on the table.
It used to burn tires at will when I had the th350 but since the new 2004-r and the crappy torque inverter they added not from start unless I power brake it but that is another issue, the timing curve could use some adjusting, if the 305 heads are okay then maybe I am looking for power in the wrong direction not sure if they are ported, I would have to take one off to check rather not put car out of commission unless I am doing an upgrade as the engine does run well
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 11:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Might not be your engine, maybe you need a different convertor instead?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
L98 heads are aluminum factory heads, usually from a Corvette, good luck with your car!!
Same as ZZ4 head, correct?

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 6:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Might not be your engine, maybe you need a different convertor instead?
Have thought in this route as i had B&M 2400 Stall also transmission came with custom PDQ 2400 Stall I called them to verify, but when the garage rebuilt my transmission they gave me a converter that I looked up and believe it is 1800 stall initially they told me my fluids were clean and previous owner said the transmission and converter were good he changed to manual but you know shops I let them look at tranny and here I am. I would have to either take it back down out in the o e that came with it or buy one and take it back down
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Only reason I thought conv. was no other changes than a trans? your car I would think still get a burn out from a standing start without power braking it just like it did with the T350 unless it's that much different in first gear ratio?

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 9:06 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Same as ZZ4 head, correct?
Same, 1.94 intakes. Stock they will support around 400hp.
The original ZZ4 had a sorta lazy cam and was rated at 355hp
LeoP likes this.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 9:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Only reason I thought conv. was no other changes than a trans? your car I would think still get a burn out from a standing start without power braking it just like it did with the T350 unless it's that much different in first gear ratio?
Figured as especially I have12 bolt position which I had new gears 3.73 axles and all bearings and seals previous with the TH350 was 10 bolt 3.08 non posi
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 9:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradco View Post
Quote:
Figured as especially I have12 bolt posi which I had new gears 3.73 axles and all bearings and seals previous with the TH350 was 10 bolt 3.08 non posi
Edited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in