Losing coolant - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 1:29 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Losing coolant

Looking for some help, my 383 sbc is using up coolant. My over flow tank needs refilling about every 2 hrs of cruising around town. Nothing on the ground or any leaks that I can see. Not sure where I should look to figure out where it is going. Or what tests I should perform?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 6:08 AM
Tech Team
rick

It's gotta be leaking or burning.Is your oil level going up?Do see white smoke in the exhaust.An easy way to pressurize the cooling system is put a flush tee in a heater or bypass hose temporarily, drill the flush tee cap for a tire valve stem.Now you can put 10lbs in with a bicycle tire pump external leaks will show up quick. No external leak start pulling plugs are if you have water in one or more cylinders.
71350SS likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 8:26 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

Re: Losing coolant

See if you can rent a coolant pressure tester,pressurize it to cap pressure 15 psi,make sure your overflow hose is blocked off,see your pressure number.lots of things it can be..Block your heater core hoses to eliminate heater core.Really if its leaking or burning that much,you can haul out your spark plugs and see antifrezze spitting out when turning over when cold.Like stated white smoke or milky oil will tell you where its coming in internally.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 8:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

If you have an automatic, check your transmission fluid also.
pannetron and paul bell like this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko1966 View Post
It's gotta be leaking or burning.Is your oil level going up?Do see white smoke in the exhaust.An easy way to pressurize the cooling system is put a flush tee in a heater or bypass hose temporarily, drill the flush tee cap for a tire valve stem.Now you can put 10lbs in with a bicycle tire pump external leaks will show up quick. No external leak start pulling plugs are if you have water in one or more cylinders.
I checked my dip stick and oil level was normal, no coolant in oil that I could see. Drove the car yesterday and no white smoke, even when I ran it hard. Next I will pull the plugs today and see what they look like.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
If you have an automatic, check your transmission fluid also.
I have a manual tranny
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

If you pull the plugs and find 1 thats clean or 2 next to each other that are clean while all the others are light brown,then those cylinder's are burning coolant.
Rent or borrow a pressure tester but do not run the engine with the tester pumped up.It should come with an adapter to test your radiator cap,use it and see what pressure your cap holds.Then pump the radiator up to that same pressure to see where any coolant leaks are.
If the cap tester is missing then just pump the radiator up to what the pressure reading thats listed on the radiator cap.All rad caps have their pressure spec listed on the cap.
pannetron likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 7:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Have you retorqued the intake manifold bolts yet?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 9:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer5000 View Post
Looking for some help, my 383 sbc is using up coolant. My over flow tank needs refilling about every 2 hrs of cruising around town. Nothing on the ground or any leaks that I can see. Not sure where I should look to figure out where it is going. Or what tests I should perform?
'89 Toyota pickup. Persistent leak. No evidence of leak while it was running, or overnight after run and parked. Static leak when it was not used for few weeks. Finally gave up on the way home from WallyWorld. Pulled in the drive and got out to open the gate and...coolant running down the driveway toward the gutter. Didn't proceed all the way to overheat, thankfully (overheat a 22RE and you got a warped head and blown gasket).

Leak was from poor fit at a radiator lower hose to intermediate pipe connection
I knew I was replacing the hose, so I shaved the rubber down so I could easily remove the hose.

My theory is: Was losing coolant just a little bit while hot and pressurized. Not enough to be visible. After shutdown the pressure bled off and it still didn't show visible evidence. When it sat for a couple weeks to a month , there was evidence of leak on the drip pan on the floor. After a few years of this it finally gave up, but not to the extent that the hose failed. My fault. Used the old hose when I put it back together after replacing the timing cover, spprockets, chain, tensioner, cover, etc. As you can see the hose was cocked on the pipe. Shame on me.

Check all of your hoses and connections, including clamps. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	621278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	621280  

Last edited by JJ'65; Mar 30th, 20 at 9:27 PM. Reason: add info
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 12:13 AM
Tech Team
rick

You can pressurize any thing for 4 bucks. Read my first post.I got sick of buying different adapters for my coolant pressure tester years ago.Now I have an assortment of tees with fittings.You don't even have to cut a hose.leave 6 inches of hose clamped to each tee.Pull off a heater hose or bypass hose clamp your 6 inch hose on clamp disconnected hose to flush tee.
71350SS likes this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 2:44 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Joer, did we ever get straight on whether you radiator is a downflow or crossflow and if there's a coolant overflow bottle with coolant recovery cap?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 6:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer5000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Joer, did we ever get straight on whether you radiator is a downflow or crossflow and if there's a coolant overflow bottle with coolant recovery cap?
T-T, He's got an overflow tank but without a model year or any other info we have no way of knowing if its an original equipment overflow or an add on to an earlier Chevelle or car?
Joer you need to let us know what year car you have.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Ok I pulled all 8 spark plugs today and found plug #3 had coolant on it, based on the others all looking dry I am assuming cylinder #3 has coolant leaking into it. I have AFR Heads so can I assume I have a leaking head gasket? Whatís my next step? The plug on the left/ bottom was wet

Click image for larger version

Name:	8ABFB65B-088E-4304-AECB-BE224D133F7D.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	621370
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
To it is a dual pass cross flow with a over floe tank with a cap. It is a custom radiator from Hot Rod by Dean for a 57 Chevy . I installed it about a year ago.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
T-T, He's got an overflow tank but without a model year or any other info we have no way of knowing if its an original equipment overflow or an add on to an earlier Chevelle or car?
Joer you need to let us know what year car you have.
Itís a 57 Chevy with a dual pass radiator with dual 14Ē fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in