Team Chevelle banner

400 Small Block Build And Dyno Test

56K views 341 replies 53 participants last post by  cage2592 
#1 ·
A forum member had me build a mild 406 for his 71 Chevelle, I thought I would post some pictures. I had a very nice thick 817 production block, bore and stroke 4.155 X 3.750, with a 7/16 6 inch rod and a Mahle piston, we ended up with 10.3 compression. The cam is hyd roller, 234/238 @ .050 .560/.530 lift on a 110. We used a AFR 195 head with modifications and a performer RPM air gap intake with a 1 inch open spacer. Carb is a AED 750 CFM. We plan on testing different distributers, locked and with a timing curve. Gas will be 91 octane from 7-11. Should be a interesting build. I should mention the valve job from AFR was a disaster.

Attachments

See less See more
#181 ·
I don't use a yard stick.
You really need to stop making such a fool of yourself.
Hey,, I resent that I keep mine right alongside of my cam catalog,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

#183 ·
Why don't you just a send a link to EVERY magazine article or YouTube video that features a 406 SBC at one time, make some baseless claim, and then be done with it?
Just about what he's been doing. :sad:

#184 ·
On a better note, the good news is the engines finally arrived at the freight terminal about 30 minutes ago and I'm expected to pick it up about 6pm EST. I was informed the shipping delay was slowed for non-essential items due to the Chinese Virus and getting important supplies through the distributors. Other good news was that the low gas prices reduced the shipping cost about 15%.

We're just excited to get this thing moving.

Ill post pictures of the uncrating tonight.

Mike.

#188 ·
OK Mod, how about a 2 for 1... pdq67 AND trmnatr for salty?
Trmnatr pops in at Speedtalk once in awhile.
No one has mentioned the guy from Jersey. >:)

Reactions: Pat_McNeil
#189 ·
Actually,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Stating what appears to be something factual is not really name calling...........

What the hell??????
Is there something wrong with you?
Seriously,,, are you really this mentally challenged?
Have you nothing else to do but post $hit that has nothing in common with the engine Mark built or are you just bored & have nothing to do but act like a ten year old.......
What the hell does a 14.0 race gas compression engine have to do with a mild pump gas one besides both being 400 inches??

This was all somewhat amusing for a few days but,,,,,,
This crap is why myself,, as well as a few others are no longer here as much as we used to be,,,,, it is just getting to damn hard to post info & help people without some clown coming along & totally screwing up a thread

Here we have a member with the engine he wanted & information about it
And a true machinist & engine builder,,, note I said builder & one that literally hundreds of folks know & trust with a proven track record not a goddamn poser & internet link repeater that judging from his posts apparently hasn't built anything himself but possibly a bicycle with a card in the spokes to impress his clan that regurgitates information he has read or seen or heard or possibly dreamed up without a factual clue to screw up the thread

Yes Mark is a friend & yes we do talk on occasion but trust me he had nothing to do with this post this is all me,,,

So a somewhat serious question salty dude...........
Are you as ignorant as it appears?? Or are you just bored & funnin all of us?
Or maybe 10 years old with no guidance,,,
Mike.....is this guy getting to you, I just laugh when he posts, swamp guy gets to me more because he actually might know something, but what it really comes down to for me is: what exactly have any of them done at a drag strip at a known verified weight NA? Need to call you Tues.

#192 ·
It's a shame this thread turned to crap. It did take our minds off other things going on right now for a while. Kudos to you Mark for building that engine and sharing it with us. You guys got to admit though, for a predominantly Big Block crowd, this generated a lot of interest! ( I'm sure pdq67's "long gone cripple buddy" is looking down smiling)

#195 ·
Whaaaaaattttt??????!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 77 cruiser
#197 ·
I see him on other sites....

#202 ·
Sorry for the smart-ass replies.

Seriously, this is about a surprisingly high performing street 406. I'd love to hear back from Mike to see how things are going. Vortecpro has done a bunch of great builds and even brought us into his shop with a video series (which was pretty impressive).

If you have a bunch of other stuff to share, start a new thread.

#204 ·
You guys still talking about this 400 LOL, theres a junkyard block 467 build coming............:surprise:
Might be a junkyard block, but it's the rest of the stuff you have to worry about with your builds :D

#205 ·
If the right person, with the right knowledge, has the ability to select a quality core to work with, then a production block, for a mostly street application will work fine. It could probably get pushed a bunch too, and survive. You don't know what the price points here are. You have no knowledge of that, outside world maybe, but Mark does a tremendous amount of work with great results that a lay person can afford. Sorry, I'm probably feeding a troll....

#206 ·
I've had pretty good success with my junk yard block selections in the past, which include 9 sec NA trans braked 400 SBC drag cars, so actually I'am not worried about a 550 HP street car used for cruising. But now there seems to be a "great concern" with the VE, so I will address that with real data, from my calibrated dyno, that by the way shows real drag strip HP that correlates with dyno HP. I have to wonder: Could or will the detractor on this thread show?

1. Dyno data from his Skip White engine build
2. Pictures of the car this engine is in
3. Time slips from a drag strip

#207 ·
SWP blew their credibility/reputation ages ago, some things don't get forgiven/forgotten. It seems it's about you now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.