Need 427 build advice - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 7:55 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Need 427 build advice

In your case the heavy slugs may help balancing the crank. And defintely check it for cracks with the green snot.( Magnaflux) Hey if you find parts issues , then you can go buy new Chinese iron. If not, stick to the plan, its good. Not everyone needs to roll around in a street 540!

You'll likely never need the data but those old 427 wagons with their Qjets and 3.31 got exceptional highway milage for the day. 496 wont do that. Even a 4" arm costs there. But I submit, its academic for most of us. PS I biult my old L88 427 to different specs, and it ate oem 502's with ease even gear hampered. So...... DO IT YOUR WAY!
badrad and jeff swisher like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 3:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

My son grew up driving my 454 Suburbans, when I have a truck I like to have an engine that actually has more than I need. He was playing around with an older Chevy that had a 327 but blew smoke like it was fogging for mosquitoes - the block has so much wear it went from standard and barely cleaned up at .060 over. Put your basic RV cam with flattops and 1.94/1.5 461 heads. Broke that engine in on a stand, put in the car and my son hit the road to see how it ran. He cam back with the biggest smile and made the comment - you would not believe how quick it go to 90 MPH! Big old Caprice with 3.08 gears and PowerGlide! I am familiar how fast a 327 will wind up so I know exactly what he meant.

Just because it is not be biggest engine you can make out of the block does not mean it will not be fun! I personally used my last 327 crank to put together a short block, I have nothing to put it in right now but I have a 327! My father is looking for a 1952 GMC and that is where I would like it to go. I also have one 427 short block (going in my Laguna) and one last 427 steel crank - saving that for as I have a set of 12.5:1 forged pistons for Open Chamber heads and a Wolverine Blue Racer solid cam with specs similar to the factory L88 cam - no heads for that yet - again have no idea where it will end up! Yes it is Old School, but my son helps pit for a guy that races Nostalgia Sling Shot Dragsters - it might end up in one of those.

Build what you want - 450 HP out of a 427 would be very easy and have good street manors. I have two friends that both race 427's on the 1/8 mile locally and they run the same 6.5 second bracket - usually the one that looses does a 6.49! Both are normally asperated old school flat cam engines.
427L88 likes this.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The 427 is just one of those engines I just have the itch for. Always wanted one.
427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in