Removing BBC oil pan without pulling the engine? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 8:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Removing BBC oil pan without pulling the engine?

I have an oil leak. I need to change the oil pan gasket. I can't say that I've ever tried doing that with a BBC powered GM A-body car. Has anyone ever accomplished this successfully? If so, do you have any tips that wouldn't be in the repair manuals? And do you guys favor the one piece oil pan gaskets, or the multi-piece ones for this endeavor? BTW this is a Mark IV style aftermarket block if that matters.

The 2x4 pieces of wood wedged between the loosened motor mounts and the frame stands comes to mind. Anything else? I also would want to use a jack stand underneath one of the main bearing caps while I have my hands in there for safety. I dunno if I can pull this off since this engine has an aftermarket Milodon oil pan and a big 4.75" stroke crankshaft. I don't have an HEI distributor, but I'll atleast be removing the cap for some room. I have the car 20" off the garage floor resting on six 6-ton jack stands to give myself as much room as possible, and the headers are coming off anyway so they won't be in my way either. I have oil pan bolts in there now, but I'd like to switch to studs in order to hold the new gasket in place on the engine block.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 8:59 AM
Tech Team

Re: Removing BBC oil pan without pulling the engine?

On my 72 A body I don't think it would worth the trouble. At best if you could drop the pan you have to it with the pan still under the engine and it would be messy and you may learn a lot of new words. If you have to clean the pan or the block a lot of it will end up in the pan. Go ahead and pull the engine it will be a good time to repaint the headers if you have them and tidy and clean up under the hood. Good luck
71350SS and shovelrick like this.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 9:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

While not impossible, its not practical. You cannot get the engine high enough for the pan to clear the crossmember and pass by the flexplate with the engine still in the car, don't ask me how I know. Pull the engine.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 9:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have done this before with a stock oil pan in a 1970 Chevelle. Was a PITA but I got it done. I would not even attempt this with a larger,non stock pan.
shovelrick and jrkrace like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 9:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Here's the difference with my car, (but it's probably a negative rather than a positive) I altered the front cross member section of the frame, so it allows for about 3/4" more depth of clearence for the oil pan. But now the bad part: I did that out of neccessity just to fit the engine in the car with the front of the oil pan being deeper for the 4.75" crankshaft. So unless there's something that you guys can think of that I might be overlooking, that little fact makes it even less likely that I would ever be able to do this without engine removal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle pics I 027.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	617650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle pics I 028.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	617652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle pics I 032.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	617654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Pics II 1069.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	617656  

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 11:37 AM
Tech Team
Bob

doable if you want to bad enough, unbolt the trans crossmember and tilt the whole thing,
BillyGman likes this.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 11:43 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Just pull the engine.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcbob View Post
doable if you want to bad enough, unbolt the trans crossmember and tilt the whole thing,
I'm glad you mentioned that. Because that's what I've been thinking about doing. I installed the engine and trans in my brother's garage which has much more room than I have in mine, (I have the car in my garage now) and I also had use of my brother's lift too as well as his crane attached to his 12 foot high ceiling. That is no longer the case.

I now have the car in my condo garage, which only has a 7 foot ceiling, and I don't even think I have enough space to move a cherry picker hoist around the front of the car. I also had a big hassle installing the hood back on the car when I removed it for the engine install. I had two guys helping me put the hood back on,along with scribe marks I had put on the hood brackets before I removed it, and we still couldn't get it as straight as the body guy had it. The hood alone was a big hassle. So I'm trying to look at all of my options here. Thanks very much for your input on this. I can sure use it.
427L88 likes this.

post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 12:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I've done stuff like that when I was young and didn't have an engine lift or even concrete to work on but now that I'm older (maybe not smarter ) I'd pull the engine out instead of my hair
71 monte ss and anix like this.

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 12:23 PM
Gold Member
Gene

On a nice spring day Billy, yank it and get it on a stand. Do you have any other "maintenance" to do on the longblock?
shovelrick and anix like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
On a nice spring day Billy, yank it and get it on a stand. Do you have any other "maintenance" to do on the longblock?
No I don't. I really don't have the room. It's a very small garage. In fact, I can't even open the doors halfway out without smacking them into the walls, and it being a condo complex, I can't even work outside in the driveway per condo rules, and my short driveway is on a steep incline anyway. So trust me on this, pulling the motor would be tougher in my case.

Where I have this car now is NOT where I began this restoration/hi-perf build. The project was rudely uprooted years ago by a family member, (long story) and I had to move the car in a haste to my own very small garage, and I've been off-balance with this project ever since. It was beyond my control. So I have to make due with what I have to work with

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 12:55 PM
TW
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I just went through this recently on a 540 in my 66. I was changing from a Moroso kick-out style pan to a Milidon pan to clear my new Lemon's headers. There was no way to get the pan out without pulling the engine up. Since the pan was the only thing I had to do, I lifted the engine/tranny up in the engine bay using an engine tilter and dropped the old pan/installed the new one while it was hanging in the engine bay.

Tom
502 Powered '66 SS
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 1:43 PM
Tech Team

If the pan needs to come off, out comes then engine. I hate laying on the ground doing that job.
shovelrick and anix like this.

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 1:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
I just went through this recently on a 540 in my 66. I was changing from a Moroso kick-out style pan to a Milidon pan to clear my new Lemon's headers. There was no way to get the pan out without pulling the engine up. Since the pan was the only thing I had to do, I lifted the engine/tranny up in the engine bay using an engine tilter and dropped the old pan/installed the new one while it was hanging in the engine bay.
Thanks very much for chiming in here Tom. I have two specific questions for you, if I may:

#1. I just want to make sure I'm reading you right....so you lifted the engine and trans up both together as an assembly, and without having to unbolt the bell housing from the engine, and without having to touch the torque converter bolts? (that's assuming you have an automatic trans).

#2. When you tried to remove the oil pan, ( I mean before you lifted the motor and trans out) did you first rotate the crankshaft to where the zero mark on the balancer was pointed downward at the 6 o'clock position in order to get the crankshaft counter weight facing up and inside of the block to make more room for the pan?

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 2:20 PM
Team Member
Tom

And I'll chime in here.
SHORT version, yes, it can be done, but it is a major pain, and yes, I've done it--------------twice.
Next time (which I hope is never), the engine comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Molly's 70 and shovelrick like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in