Turnkey Crate VS Build - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 8:04 AM Thread Starter

Turnkey Crate VS Build

The options nowadays for ready built engines with warranties is outstanding. My current 350 is tired and burns a little oil with who knows how many miles are on it. I’m hitting a crossroad on making the decision to either purchase a turnkey 383 all forged 500hp, dyno’d, broken in and ready to drop in with a 3 year warranty @ around $8750.00 from Smeding Performance or roll with the bigger mouse boys and build a 421 SBC with a Dart SHP, AFR heads, HR cam etc with tons more “fun” torque to move my fat girl of a 72 A-body with a 700r4 and 3:73 in the back with a strong existing 10 bolt. The car is mostly used on weekends weather permitting and is not a daily driver by any means. I guess it all really comes down to the funds and is it possible to build one around the same pricing? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 8:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

Very few shops have the equipment, buying power or skilled build team to equal these guys !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMRXjYkijRI
Lew540 likes this.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 9:14 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

Re: Turnkey Crate VS Build

Shop around,you can more than 500 hp for 9000.00 dollars from the pros.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Be sure to research the so-called "warranty." Most of them are pretty limited and generally require YOU to pull the engine, YOU to crate the engine, YOU to ship the engine back to the builder, at which point the builder will determine IF they'll accept responsibility (yeah, sure they will). Once they fix it, you have to pay to have it shipped back. Some warranties are better than others, but...

IMHO get a mill that's built by a local engine building expert. They often have day jobs repairing Honda's, but on weekends they're at the drag strip.

Anyways, If I were going to buy a non-local engine I'd toy with the idea of buying an assembled short block (say for instance a BluePrint 540 CID BBC) and then add a Top End Kit (say an Edelbrock 2079), and then accessorize it to my likes/needs.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech Team

Are you going to drive it or race it? Built to the hilt engines are cool, sound great but sometimes are not great for driving around town with the mrs smelling like gas and yelling at each other to talk.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gene

well, the "smart boys", might see close to your magic "500HP", 10% less HP for a third less cost.

https://www.high-performance-engines...hp-p/hp36m.htm

Which likely is TONS more than you have now. Their 500 Hp version stickers at $6600.

Dont know how much experience Nickey Chevelle has had with local engine builders, but its hit or miss, mainly miss in fact. Heck, do searches here for a small statistical sample. Yet, an option would be to have your tired 350 redone by someone local. That should be a sub $2000 deal with a flat tappet cam and some work on your part.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

You want tq to move that heavy 72 id find a way to do the 421....even a mild version will move it very well!! Without lots of big cam hassles. The 383 is a nice improvement but the 421...BB tq without the weight nor having to twist it to move the car.
Youll fall in love with the big stroke!
Love the current 383 but would not do it again, always go bigger.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 1:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I'm in the process of building a 406 right now and if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just get a crate engine from ATK. I would have saved money and time. I enjoy building engines, but between working 55-60 hrs a week and remodeling my house, there isn't a lot of time left for hobbies.
pannetron and BossHogg69 like this.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 1:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofox View Post
I'm in the process of building a 406 right now and if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just get a crate engine from ATK. I would have saved money and time. I enjoy building engines, but between working 55-60 hrs a week and remodeling my house, there isn't a lot of time left for hobbies.
I know exactly how you feel brother
427L88 likes this.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 1:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Ask your engine builder to furnish you with dyno inc engine efficiency and before & after balance sheets. Does he balance < 2 grams ? Show you his crank polishing machine. Does he stock parts or does he order one piece at a time ?

Remember, the longer the stroke, the slower it’ll rev up !
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 1:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Torque is king on the street, it's fun.
I you're building the Strong 10 bolt now, consider going to really good axles and 1/2 inch wheel steel studs all around. If you are ever going to beat on it, a c clip eliminator, it's cheap insurance over wrecking the car. Or spend more money... and get a moser/currie/ ... 9 inch.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 2:03 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The following is something that should be considered. Wherever you decide to acuire your engine what happens when something goes wrong, be it the fault of the engine builder or your fault. How difficult is it going to be to get resolved? Are you going to have to pull the engine, crate it up and pray it isnt damaged in shipping? Or is the builder within driving distance. Everyone is happy when things go right but stuff happens on occasion.
Saltherring likes this.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 2:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Remember, the longer the stroke, the slower itíll rev up
Sure about that? Revving is tuning

no "revver" 283 with similar parts is going to outrun a 350 for instance

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 2:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

I'm not sure I wanna say this in public, but I had SWP build my 572 for me. I spec'd pretty good stuff- Dart block good Scat crank and rods, Wiseco pistons, AFR heads with good parts, all ARP fasteners, ect. Their machine shop is top notch, they have very knowledgeable guys in there, and they gave me a really good price on it as a turn key piece. It made really solid power on the dyno, right where it was expected to be. I built it with a fairly mild cam to not kill the valvetrain too fast and it came out at 717 tq and 718 hp. I haven't fired it yet, but am working with them to honor the warranty from the time we fire it. I couldn't come close to building this for what I paid them for the package.
427L88 likes this.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 4:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelteredv View Post
I'm not sure I wanna say this in public, but I had SWP build my 572 for me. I spec'd pretty good stuff- Dart block good Scat crank and rods, Wiseco pistons, AFR heads with good parts, all ARP fasteners, ect. Their machine shop is top notch, they have very knowledgeable guys in there, and they gave me a really good price on it as a turn key piece. It made really solid power on the dyno, right where it was expected to be. I built it with a fairly mild cam to not kill the valvetrain too fast and it came out at 717 tq and 718 hp. I haven't fired it yet, but am working with them to honor the warranty from the time we fire it. I couldn't come close to building this for what I paid them for the package.
SWP uses only ARP !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLMb0aTwcQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in