Freedom is not caring what others think of you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 1:06 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: v10 any good?

A friend (may he R.I.P.) bought a new V10 Ford van when they first came out and he loved it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 3:25 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I know a guy that owned an F350 with a V10 Triton. It was nice but thirsty. The V10 Viper engines are also nice but I would be concerned about package length. There was a build thread several year's back on the site about a guy that was putting a Viper V10 into his '67 Beaumont. It was pretty involved and I'm not sure it ever was completed. I just can't find the thread.

In searching the site I did find this: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/59-...-chevelle.html

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Thanks. I know diesels make more torque but feel a BB or V10 would tow mine to the track ok.

Dont know much about diesels but know when its time to replace stuff its never cheap. So poor mpg is ok.
Miss my 90 I had to sell a few yrs back...could buy it back not sure if its worth it or not as its in NJ.

It was a TBI which was gutless but sure it would get me there and back ok just looking at newer ones, sometimes that 1 owner well maintained one pops up with realistic pricing. Go back and forth on that or sinking a bunch in this 02 1500. Ocd...

Quote:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 20, 11:38 PM
Team Member
Dave

A number of years back, a friend had a Dodge single cab long bed with a V-10. If you could have gotten a chain around the Empire State building, I believe that truck could have pulled it off the foundations! But, we did tow an open trailer with a '71 Elky on it to Chevelleabration one year, and got about 8 mpg.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 6:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

just wondering if they are maintenance monsters....what kind of miles do you stay away from?

Quote:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 6:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I own both V10 ford and a 6.0l Diesel. My V10 has 200k no issues except the exhaust manifold bolts break on all V-10s. Good motor. But nothing pulls a load like diesel. Diesels are not cheap to keep up. If I had to keep one the 6.0l would stay.
Chevelle_Nut likes this.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 8:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

The early Ford V-10s had a habit of popping spark plugs and braking exhaust manifold bolts. In 2003 the heads were redesigned. In 2005 the V10 went to a 3 valve, but not V-10s in Excursions. The V-10 can be a towing monster and is the desired engines for E chassis and F53 motorhome chassis. The V-10 is being replaced by the gas 7.3L V-8.

In the Ford Truck world the V-10 and diesel argument is hot and heavy. The V-10 can be made to pull as strong as a diesel with proper gearing but will always suck more fuel. The diesel is more costly to maintain. BTW... I LOVE my 6.0L diesel but they are not for the faint of heart.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 12:27 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
I own both V10 ford and a 6.0l Diesel. My V10 has 200k no issues except the exhaust manifold bolts break on all V-10s. Good motor. But nothing pulls a load like diesel. Diesels are not cheap to keep up. If I had to keep one the 6.0l would stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post
The early Ford V-10s had a habit of popping spark plugs and braking exhaust manifold bolts. In 2003 the heads were redesigned. In 2005 the V10 went to a 3 valve, but not V-10s in Excursions. The V-10 can be a towing monster and is the desired engines for E chassis and F53 motorhome chassis. The V-10 is being replaced by the gas 7.3L V-8.

In the Ford Truck world the V-10 and diesel argument is hot and heavy. The V-10 can be made to pull as strong as a diesel with proper gearing but will always suck more fuel. The diesel is more costly to maintain. BTW... I LOVE my 6.0L diesel but they are not for the faint of heart.
One of the salesman here had an F250 V-10. not sure why, really stupid truck for someone that put lots of miles on a vehicle, but at the time, the shop foreman was a Ford guy, and for some reason loved the V-10's. It had to be around year 2000 or so, and it was a pile. lots of issues, pinged constantly.

We gave Ford a lot of money in past years, we really only bought Fords, and diesels at that. After the 7.3 Turbo, things went straight to hell with our trucks. the diesels may have been a little better suited for light commercial, then heavy commercial like we are. We only had like 1 or 2 out of 12 or so that didnt get new engines. Holy crap were they expensive. 1 truck had 3 engines, 2 by warranty, 1 by us. Crazy. I think the 6.7 is better, but i have since switched to Ram and the Cummins. So far only 1 out of about 6 gives us any headaches, and it was the one that got some electrical issues after a snowplow installation went bad, and some leaks to the front cover handled under warranty.

When the average Joe asks me if he should buy a diesel to tow his camper once a year, i say absolutely not. Repairs can be astronomical after warranty.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post

Our company just switched back to chevy as GM is re entering the c5500 and c6500 maket with their own chassis cab package. We take delivery of the first one of many this May. We were exclusively Ferd for years using that v10 since day 1 in fact. That V10 is a pile steaming horse crap. They have been "popping" spark plugs since their inception and still do today. I should know as Im the one arguing with Ferd on a daily basis about them covering it under warranty. We bought a fleet of 2017/2018 F550 w/v10 and almost every one of them we have is down on a regular basis due to that dam v10. We have F550 with the new 6.7 TD and they are a bear but miles deep better that that POS v10.

The v10 is not suited for stop and go heavy haul. Long distance heavy haul maybe nothing else.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
Edelbrock Proflo4
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10

Last edited by 1971ss454Elco; Feb 25th, 20 at 12:56 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 3:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I know a guy that owned an F350 with a V10 Triton. It was nice but thirsty. The V10 Viper engines are also nice but I would be concerned about package length. There was a build thread several year's back on the site about a guy that was putting a Viper V10 into his '67 Beaumont. It was pretty involved and I'm not sure it ever was completed. I just can't find the thread.

In searching the site I did find this: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/59-...-chevelle.html
Same thing here... I had a customer who had a F-250 with the Triton V10 and it performed good but was a gas hog.
As for the V-10 Beaumont, I remember that car while it was being built but I never heard (or read) about it again...
And about diesel engines, I have a 2008 F-350 with the 6.4 L engine and so far, I never had any problem with it other than regular maintenance.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 1:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
My friends mom had an Excursion with a V10. It was a beast

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 2:21 AM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Had a Ford V10 company truck years ago. Beat the snot out of it constantly and it never gave any trouble. It used a lot of gas and messed up a bunch of tires, only thing I hated about it is it seemed to run out of steam after 50 mph.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Same thing here... I had a customer who had a F-250 with the Triton V10 and it performed good but was a gas hog.
As for the V-10 Beaumont, I remember that car while it was being built but I never heard (or read) about it again...
And about diesel engines, I have a 2008 F-350 with the 6.4 L engine and so far, I never had any problem with it other than regular maintenance.

Claude.
I hope the good luck stays with you, the 6.4L scares me.

The 6.0L is a great engine because IMO it is fairly easy to work on considering what it is. No, I have not had to do heads or head gaskets, mine is still stock.

I would suggest you check out the Ford Truck Enthusiasts website. They are a great bunch of guys that will help out, much like TC and can answer any V-10 questions you might have.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in